Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bats' pitcher Chapman could be a relief for the Reds

Re: Bats' pitcher Chapman could be a relief for the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He'd be an upgrade from Bray.
    Bray has a nasty slider that Left-handers have a difficult time hitting. That's very useful, as Rhodes can't be used too often. I would want that tool in my bag if I was Dusty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bray has a nasty slider that Left-handers have a difficult time hitting. That's very useful, as Rhodes can't be used too often. I would want that tool in my bag if I was Dusty.
    And Chapman throws 103.

Bray's just not a good enough/productive enough pitcher to block Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What's the rule regarding players who can be put on a playoff roster? It's been so long, I can't remember.

Do they have to be on the roster before Sep. 1st at some point, or is there no requirement at all?

It seems like there's something.
    August 31st

Everyone is an upgrade over Cordero right now. I think the only reason he doesnt blow more games is because the pressure thats put on the opposing team knowing that htye only have 1-3 more outs.

I assume the plan is to still have Chapman become a starter long term. He's thrown around 84 innings, and even if you optimistically say he can get you another 36 this year out of the pen, plus another 30 in the AFL, he'd be sitting on around 150 innings thrown this year. Further more, if you subscribe to the 30 innings increase limit for a young pitcher, that limits him to 180ish innings next year, which means next year he may be a prime canidate to start out in AAA for a month or so to limit his innings, or be moved to the bullpen late in the season befor assuming full starting duty in 2 years.

The key to this would be the ability to send him to the AFL to get innings in. I doubt he's got another 36 innings in him this season if he's going to be purely a reliever the rest of this year, but certainly he's got 26 innings b/w AAA and the ML (and hopefully playoffs) which would get him to the 170ish mark for next season, which as a 5th and potential late season conversion to a reliever for a hopeful playoff run wouldn't be too bad. Can a guy that has spent time in the majors play in the AFL? W/o getting innings there or winter ball somewhere, I'm not sure Chapman can get enough innings in to give him a realistic enough number of innings next year to consider starting him w/ the big league club next year.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Can a guy that has spent time in the majors play in the AFL?
    I believe as long as you're under a full season of service time you're eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    August 31st
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I assume the plan is to still have Chapman become a starter long term. He's thrown around 84 innings, and even if you optimistically say he can get you another 36 this year out of the pen, plus another 30 in the AFL, he'd be sitting on around 150 innings thrown this year. Further more, if you subscribe to the 30 innings increase limit for a young pitcher, that limits him to 180ish innings next year, which means next year he may be a prime canidate to start out in AAA for a month or so to limit his innings, or be moved to the bullpen late in the season befor assuming full starting duty in 2 years.

The key to this would be the ability to send him to the AFL to get innings in. I doubt he's got another 36 innings in him this season if he's going to be purely a reliever the rest of this year, but certainly he's got 26 innings b/w AAA and the ML (and hopefully playoffs) which would get him to the 170ish mark for next season, which as a 5th and potential late season conversion to a reliever for a hopeful playoff run wouldn't be too bad. Can a guy that has spent time in the majors play in the AFL? W/o getting innings there or winter ball somewhere, I'm not sure Chapman can get enough innings in to give him a realistic enough number of innings next year to consider starting him w/ the big league club next year.
    Good post, and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And Chapman throws 103.
    I want both tools in the "Relief" bag.

Buster Olney had a series of tweets tonight regarding Chapman:

Aroldis Chapman's last 10 outings: 0 runs, 6 hits, 4 walks and 16 punchouts in 11.1 innings. I spoke with Class AAA coach Ted (more)

Power and he says a mechanical adjustment has helped Chapman. It's evident Chapman might be closer to the big leagues. (more)

Spoke with Reds GM Walt Jocketty tonight, and he said he hasn't discussed possible promotion for the lefty with Dusty Baker in (more)

awhile, but he thinks they could have a conversation later in the week -- and they envision Chapman helping them in the late innings. (more)

He was clocked as high as 103 mph twice on Tuesday night.

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN
    I miss Adam Dunn.

A quick question. Do the Reds "control" Chapman for 6 yrs of MLB service time, or due to his unique contract, he will be a free agent after 6 years regardless of service time?

The Buckeye Bomber

I really, really hope Chapman is ready. He has a good head on his shoulders so I don't think he's prone to being "spoiled" by a bad debut year, but it still makes me nervous throwing him into the late stages of our best season in over a decade.

I can't wait to see "103" pop up on the scoreboard that first time.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A quick question. Do the Reds "control" Chapman for 6 yrs of MLB service time, or due to his unique contract, he will be a free agent after 6 years regardless of service time?
    Barring a release/trade, the earliest he will be a free agent is following the 2016 season. Barring an extension, the latest he can become a free agent is following the 2019 season.

Sweet credits pitching coach Ted Power as well as Chapman for the improvement.

“Chappie has done a great job of learning, making adjustments and listening,” Sweet said. “Now it's paying off for him, for us and the Cincinnati Reds.”
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...sh+to+playoffs
    I miss Adam Dunn.

All I know is that I'm glad they are singing his praises now, but I hope that its not because they just want to make a good story.

He's been good lately, hopefully it continues, but I hope this isnt doing the kid a disservice.

Also its all true then HOLY SMOKES what a good starter hes going to be. If hes just now putting it together seriously imagine what this could really mean.

Turn Off Ads?