Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you think Moyer will deserve to be elected if he reaches 300 wins?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 20.56%
  • No

85 79.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Moyer: HOFer, yea or nay

Jamie Moyer: HOFer, yea or nay

There's a debate on another board about this with people either on one side or the other:

-He was never a dominant, or top, starting pitcher so he doesn't belong in the HOF.

-He should be elected if he can stick around to make it to 300 wins.

So, I thought I'd put it up to RedsZone. Does Jamie Moyer belong in the HOF?

AND, do you think the official voters will elect him if he reaches 300 wins?

I don't think he belongs in the HOF and I hope the voters feel the same way. He's been a good pitcher in a looooooooong career but that's the only thing on his side in the argument for the HOF.

edit: I didn't see an option for adding a 2nd poll question. If that's possible maybe a mod could add "Do you think the official voters will elect him if he reaches 300 wins?" as a 2nd poll question.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 06-28-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jamie Moyer: HOFer, yay or nay

Moyer's given up more homer than anyone in MLB history. That's Hall worthy right there.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

You can't have multiple poll questions in a single thread.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Longevity does not equal HOF. If Blyleven's not in, no way should Moyer be in. Blyleven was a more dominant pitcher during his era than Moyer's been. Excellent career and a well above average pitcher...just not HOF worthy IMO (Blyleven is though IMO).
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

^^^^

IMO, they both should be in.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

No way.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Not in a million years

Moyer is 47 and has 267 wins counting 9 this year. 300 is a pipe dream, but I guess if he could get there it might be different. Of course if my old pick-up truck was a brand new BMW ...
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

No, if there are no 'magic' HoF numbers he hasn't warranted being included in the Hall.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Jamie Moyer is a lot more Charlie Hough/Dennis Martinez/Joe Niekro than he is a HOF pitcher.

Those guys all had very long, slightly better than average careers. That's certainly no knock on any of them.

But it's not worthy of a bust in Cooperstown, either.

IF he reaches 300 wins, I say yes, otherwise, no.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Jamie Moyer is a lot more Charlie Hough/Dennis Martinez/Joe Niekro than he is a HOF pitcher.

Those guys all had very long, slightly better than average careers. That's certainly no knock on any of them.

But it's not worthy of a bust in Cooperstown, either.
    Yep, he's below Hoyt Wilhelm in talent and way below in impact.

If Jamie Moyer reaches 300 W largely in his 40's, I think the voters have to give him serious consideration. I'm not sure whether his other stats back his case very well though. Then again, there are probably other HOF pitchers worse than him (not that this really recommends his case either).
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Just because your around forever doesn't mean you get in the hall. Good pitcher, nice career, Hall of Famers need to be the elite though.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Then again, there are probably other HOF pitchers worse than him (not that this really recommends his case either).
    Probably not, I'd say the worst HOF pitcher is Rube Marquad, whose era vs the league is about par with Moyers.

Not many HOF players toil for 7 different franchises.

Turn Off Ads?