Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Other than Iron Man and TDK it was definably the best comic book movie put out so far.
    Did you not see Batman Returns?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Saw another screener last night, this time "Crazy Stupid Love" with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore and Emma Stone. I really enjoyed its mix of humor and serious moments. It also has one of the funniest/craziest scenes that I've seen since the dinner in "The Birdcage". Great cast, even beyond the headliners.
    Can't wait to watch this movie. I absolutely love Gosling and basically everything he has done...should be a solid flick. Emma Stone is hot, so that's a bonus too.

"Oh my gosh....you look like you're photoshopped"

Saw Captain America tonight. A1. Close to Iron Man as the best Marvel movie I've seen (haven't seen Thor). I liked it that they didn't go down the nice-guy-gets-power-mad route. Good villain, good support from Tommy Lee Jones, Toby Jones (who, when you think about it, actually looks like a comic book character) and others. A little gee-whiz, but that fit the character well.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Saw Captain America -- thought it was really solid, though not really getting up there with the "best" comic book movies of recent memory (Dark Knight, Iron Man). There were lots of little bits in the movie that I just loved, and I thought the pace was very well done.

What kept it from being really great was the lame idea to remove the Nazis from the equation and fight the "Hydra" group that Red Skull was fighting. I was kinda looking forward to watching Captain America beat the crap out of Nazis, and it felt like a bit of a cop-out to go with a bunch of germans shouting "Heil Hydra" instead of "Heil Hitler!"

The only other minor quibble I had was with some of the supernatural stuff they shoehorned in. I would've rather the movie stayed grounded, like Iron Man, in the psuedo-science reality (where we all understand that the Iron Man suit is beyond any real technology, but it's plausibly beyond it -- not "powered by magical stones" or whatever).

Solid B/B+ from me.

I agree and I read that the director said something about the Nazis being too scary to make a comic book movie with them in it?

That is who CAP battled. They made it look like it was the 40's but in a parallel universe type of way.

I read how these guys he fought with were The Invaders. The Invaders I remember were Sub Mariner, The Original Human Torch (Lab experiment) ...Union Jack. I had the first 15 issue sof that when it came out in the late 70's.

I think there's some reluctance to use the Nazis in a 'comic book' way these days. Spielberg's even said that he regrets the way he used them in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Says it takes away from the seriousness of the evil they committed.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Saw "Cowboys & Aliens". Really enjoyed it. The perfect blend of western, alien invasion sci-fi, and redemption story. Just the right blend of story, "campy-ness", special effects, action and humor. Really enjoyed the cast, and Harrison Ford seemed to enjoy the role. Plus, how do you not like a film with James Bond and Han Solo in it?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

La Dolce Vita

the excellent, excellent 2010 cannes grand prix winner, "of gods and men", historical drama of trappist monks in the mountains of algeria taken captive by islamic fundamentalists. beautifully made. thought and spirit provoking. did i mention it was excellent?
    teach tolerance.

Saw "Cowboys and Aliens" last night. Loved it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Cowboys and Aliens is either going to be supremely awesome or a complete disaster. There is never any in-between with this kind of movie. And I so hope it falls in the supremely awesome category when I go see it.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Saw "Cowboys and Aliens" last night. Loved it.
    2 thumbs up for me as well. A solid 8.5-9 on a scale of 1-10. Even tho' I'm not much of a western fan, IMHO it could have stood alone w/o the aliens. There were a few jump up scary scenes for me... and it is not for the kiddies to see (aliens are pretty ugly). Of course, as Chip will note, I'd pay to see Daniel Craig in almost anything... he (& his bod) did not disappoint!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Captain America. I really enjoyed it until the last 2 minutes. I won't ruin it for those who haven't seen it, but for those have, I feel the movie could have ended 2 minutes earlier than it did. I get why they did it how they did it, I just didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Captain America. I really enjoyed it until the last 2 minutes. I won't ruin it for those who haven't seen it, but for those have, I feel the movie could have ended 2 minutes earlier than it did. I get why they did it how they did it, I just didn't like it.
    it would have been really hard for him to be in Avengers next year without that scene.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    it would have been really hard for him to be in Avengers next year without that scene.
    Like I said, I get why they did it.... but the movie would have been better in my opinion if they didn't do it.

I saw "Cowboys and Aliens" last night and enjoyed it.

Hall Pass.... its pretty funny. 8/10

Turn Off Ads?