Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

I saw the new version of Straw Dogs yesterday. It was okay but not as good as the original.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I saw the new version of Straw Dogs yesterday. It was okay but not as good as the original.
    I saw the new version of (fill in name of movie here) yesterday. It was okay but not as good as the original.

Its rare that I find a remake better than the original. The Ring vs Ringu. Werner Herzog's remake of Nosferatu. Thats about it.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I saw the new version of (fill in name of movie here) yesterday. It was okay but not as good as the original.

Its rare that I find a remake better than the original. The Ring vs Ringu. Werner Herzog's remake of Nosferatu. Thats about it.
    maybes...

judy garland's a star is born..iconic
    3:10 to yuma..if i'm going to watch one over and over, i choose the new one.
    italian job..new minis vs old ones
    the thomas crowne affair...nina simone's "sinnerman" and bowler hats
    cape fear..mitchum vs. de niro..toss up
    father of the bride..love steve as much as spencer
    ocean's eleven..george, george, george
    true grit...toss up coen's better film, but there is the duke
    Last edited by Sweetstop; 09-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    teach tolerance.

Isn't the original more based on Sam Peckingpaugh's feelings on women at the time beacuse he was going through a divorce?

I think remakes when the filmmaker takes a relatively unknown film--often foreign--and bring it to a mainstream American audience can work. Thinkin' Insomnia, The Departed, Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, Scarface, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think remakes when the filmmaker takes a relatively unknown film--often foreign--and bring it to a mainstream American audience can work. Thinkin' Insomnia, The Departed, Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, Scarface, etc...
    The Magnificent Seven is a nice movie. But the Seven Samurai is fantastic. One of the greatest movies of all time. why not seek out the original? especially in the age of dvd. for me the same is true for just about all remakes. if the original is better than the remake then i'll watch the original.

La Dolce Vita

they can, i would agree..

but, if you're of a notion to watch foreign and/or early classic film...something many american moviegoers don't/won't do (based on bias or subtitlephobia )...they can still be compared film to film based on willm's remake premise .

taking your examples and imho:

neither are my cup of tea, but howard hawks' "scarface" w/ paul muni's emotional performance is better than de palma's twice as long, boring, violent mess.

i like classics "the magnificent seven" and "a fistful of dollars", but i love kurosawa's "seven samurai" and "yojimbo"...the wonderful toshiro mifune alone is enough.

(i really like both the nolan and scorsese movies you mentioned but haven't seen ones they're based on.)

looking forward to seeing what the american versions of "the girl with the dragon tattoo", etc. are like..see if they can do swedish better than the swedes.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Isn't the original more based on Sam Peckingpaugh's feelings on women at the time beacuse he was going through a divorce?
    I don't think so. His marriage to Bergona Palallos was off again and off again many times for many years, but his female characters through his career were generally depicted in lesser lights. Amy in Straw Dogs may have been his female character of lowest moral character, but she was not totally away from his characterization of women as untrustworthy, lesser humans.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Meh, I enjoy contemporary movies more than black and white films from the first half of the 20th Century. So shoot me...

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Just got back from a screening of "Moneyball". I really enjoyed the film. I think it will certainly appeal to baseball fans, but there is enough there to satisfy a casual fan (or Brad Pitt fan).

I'm sure some people won't be happy with how they are portrayed in the film, but I guess every story has to have a "bad guy". It was great to relive some of the memories of those games and remember some of the players.

I'm sure it will be a huge hit with RZers.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Meh, I enjoy contemporary movies more than black and white films from the first half of the 20th Century. So shoot me...
    If we are talking about films from the 1970s (well into the 20th Century), we are talking about the color film era.

If we are talking about films from the 1970s (well into the 20th Century), we are talking about the color film era.
    Did they have talkies in the seventies?

I know, and a few of the remakes I mentioned are from the 1970s. What's your point?

I hearing some people didn't like Drive. I just saw it and loved it. It was kind of like Grand Theft Auto the movie. Great soundtrack too.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I hearing some people didn't like Drive. I just saw it and loved it. It was kind of like Grand Theft Auto the movie. Great soundtrack too.
    Loved it as well; the soundtrack was stellar. One of the very few movies that I enjoyed enough to be willing to pay to watch it a second time in theater.

Turn Off Ads?