Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

We watched "Invictus" last night. It is a movie that I thought I should like, given the inspirational story of a racially torn country coming together over a rugby team, and I tried to like it....but I was bored silly. The storyline was predictable, there was little dramatic conflict, and for the most part there was no character development. For all I know Clint Eastwood chose to make an historically accurate film and that's the reason that there were no dramatic developments in the movie, but it was an effort for me to get through the film. Nelson Mandela unquestionably is admirable, but Morgan Freeman plays him as an absolute saint, which after a while gets boring to watch, and Matt Damon's rugby player also is largely a one-note role.
    The real story behind "Invictus" may be great, but a great film it is not IMO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

We watched "Date Night" last night. We enjoyed it. A few scenes made me laugh out loud. Steve Carell, Tina Fey and Mark Wahlberg were all good.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    We watched "Invictus" last night. It is a movie that I thought I should like, given the inspirational story of a racially torn country coming together over a rugby team, and I tried to like it....but I was bored silly. The storyline was predictable, there was little dramatic conflict, and for the most part there was no character development. For all I know Clint Eastwood chose to make an historically accurate film and that's the reason that there were no dramatic developments in the movie, but it was an effort for me to get through the film. Nelson Mandela unquestionably is admirable, but Morgan Freeman plays him as an absolute saint, which after a while gets boring to watch, and Matt Damon's rugby player also is largely a one-note role.
    The real story behind "Invictus" may be great, but a great film it is not IMO.
    Read John Carlin's book Playing The Enemy. It tells the same story much better than any movie ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    We watched "Date Night" last night. We enjoyed it. A few scenes made me laugh out loud. Steve Carell, Tina Fey and Mark Wahlberg were all good.
    Yep. We watched that on Sat. night. I was pleasantly surprised and liked it as well.

Not a spectacular movie, but a few light touches of suburban married angst and Carell and Fey make a good couple getting themselves in a real jam and hijinks ensued. It was entertaining. I'd give it a solid B.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yep. We watched that on Sat. night. I was pleasantly surprised and liked it as well.

Not a spectacular movie, but a few light touches of suburban married angst and Carell and Fey make a good couple getting themselves in a real jam and hijinks ensued. It was entertaining. I'd give it a solid B.
    I enjoyed it as well.

I think they could be a good couple for recurring movies.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Watched 'The Backup Plan' last night with the G/F. Not bad. I'm not a big fan of J-Lo, but she was ok in this movie. I gave it a '6½' ... girlfriend gave it a '7½'. She always rates the chick flicks higher, so I'd say my rating is more accurate.

And I added a point because she's standing next to me right now.

Gran Torino.

I'm a little behind on my movie watching but I thought it was great. Clint Eastwood is still a BA.

Before that:
    The Invention of Lying (loved it)
    The Final Destination (hilariously terrible)
    Drag Me to Hell (thought it was a great horror movie)
    I Love You, Man (funny movie)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331307/

"Dread"

Gritty and brutal... Good horror/suspense drama film, at times not pleasant to watch. Extremely well written (based on a Clive Barker short story) and pretty solid performances throughout. The best part of the Twilight movies, Jackson Rathbone (Jasper) plays the lead character, and it's nice seeing him in a role with some meat to it. ...Seriously, this guy gives a strong performance, believable and at times tragic, and I think he'll put out more great performances in the future. When ranking this among recent American horror movies, it's definitely near the top with films like Midnight Meat Train, The Last Exorcism and Drag Me To Hell. You have to be in the mood for something dreary and dirty, as in grimy, but it's definitely worth a watch.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331307/

"Dread"

Gritty and brutal... Good horror/suspense drama film, at times not pleasant to watch. Extremely well written (based on a Clive Barker short story) and pretty solid performances throughout. The best part of the Twilight movies, Jackson Rathbone (Jasper) plays the lead character, and it's nice seeing him in a role with some meat to it. ...Seriously, this guy gives a strong performance, believable and at times tragic, and I think he'll put out more great performances in the future. When ranking this among recent American horror movies, it's definitely near the top with films like Midnight Meat Train, The Last Exorcism and Drag Me To Hell. You have to be in the mood for something dreary and dirty, as in grimy, but it's definitely worth a watch.
    I'm already getting in the mood for Halloween, and this looks like one to put on my list.

btw, as to Rathbone, I actually liked "The Last Airbender" and will admit it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Stay away from Valentine's Day. Of course, I'm sure you all knew that.

Watched the movie "Once" again after seeing them live recently. It's a good movie with a great soundtrack.

I'll concur on Date Night, some pretty good moments despite an impossible plot.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

A Serbian Film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/

I've seen Cannibal Holocaust, I Spit On Your Grave, Salo, Irreversible, Nekromantik, etc... this may just be the most sick and disturbing movie I've ever seen, and the bad part about it is that it's really well done and beautifully shot, but it just sits with you long after it's over and makes you terribly uncomfortable.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

La Dolce Vita

"the last station", an excellent film about the last days of tolstoy's life. good performances all around from helen mirren, christopher plummer, paul giamatti, and james mcavoy.

michael caine's "harry brown", which must be a re-make of chas. bronson's death wish...too vengefully violent.

liked the outtakes at the end of "date night".
    teach tolerance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Inception.

Eh. I guess I expected more.

"Battlestar Galactica - The Miniseries - not technically a movie, but I'm going to include it. I watched it when it initially aired, and I loved it then. Now, after seeing how the series panned out, the miniseries is even more brilliant. The writers knew exactly what story they wanted to tell, and they executed it almost perfectly. Five out of five stars.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Resident Evil - Meh.
    Lonesome Dove - Decent

GL

Turn Off Ads?