Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

The previous thread reached 1,000 posts.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched?

Watched a movie called "Not Forgotten" with Simon Baker in it last night. Baker and his mexican wife live in Texas near the Mexico border. His daughter is kidnapped and taken to Mexico. He doesn't know why she was kidnapped. As the movie goes on, you find out he's not who you think he is and has a shady past. The kidnapping has to do with the Mexican Mob and some payback toward him.

It was okay. Not great. Not horrible. Kept my attention mostly.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

"Without Limits" about Steve Prefontaine
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    "Without Limits" about Steve Prefontaine
    I saw that a couple of weeks ago. The pace is glacial, but the film overall is pretty good.
    Witty signature.

Toy Story 3. Very good, but surprisingly sad. It played much more like Wall-E or Up than the prior Toy Story movies. There were a few scenes that might even be a bit intense for the youngest part of the crowd.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Saw "The Last Airbender" last night.

In a word: Trainwreck.

This movie is "Dune" for a new generation. It's a giant mess that, in what I can only assume is a compulsion to be absolutely faithful to it's source material, ends up glossing over any interesting ideas, leaving whole aspects of the "universe" it exists in unexplained, and creates characters that wold generously be described as shallow and 2D. The acting ranges from hammy to awful, the plot follows no discernable logic, and there is nothing by way of character development.

I'd stay far away.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

*61 last night.... since the Reds had me pumped about baseball
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Saw "The Last Airbender" last night.

In a word: Trainwreck.

This movie is "Dune" for a new generation. It's a giant mess that, in what I can only assume is a compulsion to be absolutely faithful to it's source material, ends up glossing over any interesting ideas, leaving whole aspects of the "universe" it exists in unexplained, and creates characters that wold generously be described as shallow and 2D. The acting ranges from hammy to awful, the plot follows no discernable logic, and there is nothing by way of character development.

I'd stay far away.
    What was the unexpected twist?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

We watched "When In Rome" with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel on PPV as part of my dues in the marriage continuation club. A takeoff on "Three Coins in the Fountain" and "Roman Holiday" but not nearly in he same class.

Just blah. not even any gratuitous nudity or any other redeeming factor. fluff and not very good fluff at that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    We watched "When In Rome" with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel on PPV as part of my dues in the marriage continuation club. A takeoff on "Three Coins in the Fountain" and "Roman Holiday" but not nearly in he same class.

Just blah. not even any gratuitous nudity or any other redeeming factor. fluff and not very good fluff at that.
    I'll give it this: there were enough "Hey, it's that guy/girl" moments that I at least managed to not hate the movie.

I mean, you gotta give a chick-flick credit when it casts Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ghostface Killah in ANY role.

I'll give it this: there were enough "Hey, it's that guy/girl" moments that I at least managed to not hate the movie.

I mean, you gotta give a chick-flick credit when it casts Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ghostface Killah in ANY role.
    Yeah, I'll give it that.

It took me about 1/2 the movie to recognize Jon Heder (who was my favorite character). I did say "hey, jeez, look, its whatshisface from "Miami Vice". And I figured Danny Devito and Anjelica Huston must have needed a paycheck.

It did have a few moments but its overall stupidity turned me off. They could have made this a pretty good escapist rom-com but, alas, no.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

FTR - I enjoyed When in Rome. I enjoy a lot of movies though.

Watched Knight and Day. Not bad. But not something I would tell someone they should make time to go see either.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    What was the unexpected twist?
    It turns out that M. Night's career has been dead since just after finishing "The Sixth Sense."

It turns out that M. Night's career has been dead since just after finishing "The Sixth Sense."
    cracked.com argues that it's been even longer than that:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18585...ranchises.html
    What Inspired It:
    The truth is quite a bit stupider than that. This Academy Award-nominated classic was inspired by something off of the same children's television network that introduced the world to Rugrats, Clarissa Explains It All and Doug. Yup, Nickelodeon.

Technically, SNICK.
    It turns out that Shyamalan was one hell of an unofficial member of the Midnight Society in the 90s, since his magnum opus was inspired by an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?.
    The episode in particular, "The Tale of the Dream Girl", is basically the same story as The Sixth Sense except it was written for the same audience that followed Salute Your Shorts.

Just like The Sixth Sense, "The Tale of the Dream Girl" tells the story of a kid who is able to eerily and unwillingly communicate with the dead. In this case, his name is Johnny Angelli, and he's portrayed by the same pretty-boy who played Scott Hope on Buffy. At first it appears that Johnny is being stalked by a girl who is clearly way out of his league, but not only does Johnny think that she's dead, there's something strange going on with Johnny. You see, he has this ring which he can't get off his finger, nobody seems to recognize him at work and his mother is so pissed that you would think he wrecked the car, or something.
    Only Johnny's sister believes in him. In fact, she's the only person who has really been speaking to him. Oh, and there's this dramatic scene with the ring, and a totally unexpected--because it was original--twist where... well...
    Five years later, Shyamalan gets nominated for an Academy Award for Best "Original" Screenplay.
    Hell, considering the work he's done since then, it might pay for him to get some more Are You Afraid of the Dark episodes on DVD (it had a nice run of seven seasons) and see what else he can dig up.

There's enough cinematic gold in this season alone to keep Shyamalan busy for decades.
    Also, it's worth noting that "The Tale of the Dream Girl" aired on March 26 1994, which means Shyamalan had to be at least 23-years old during that life-changing Saturday night he was at home watching SNICK

And we all know what the twist was in that movie. That dude in the hair piece, like the whole time, that's Bruce Willis the whole movie.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?