Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Muppets

Just an incredibly well done movie. Brought back a lot of really happy memories from my childhood.
    Last night we had our annual viewing of "A Muppet's Christmas Carol". Enjoyed it a lot. Still a lot of fun and I forgot about the playfullness and well-buried wit of the Muppets.

We only have a VHS copy of it and had to fire up the old VHS player to see it. I was like "dang, how does this thing work again?". At least the clock didn't blink "12:00".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Over the weekend, I watched "People Will Talk", a 1951 flick with Cary Grant, Jeanne Crain, Hume Cronyn, etc.

I really didn't know much about this movie and watched it mostly because I was working my way through Cary Grant's catalog and expected a typical Grant screwball farce or rom-com or something. But I was pleasantly surprised to find it .... oddly intelligent, but very good and engaged me much more than I expected.

Grant plays a hugely successful doctor with unusual healing practices. Jeanne Crain is an aspiring medical student who falls in love with him after getting pregnant by a killed Korean War soldier. Hume Cronyn plays a McCarthy -esque professor out to get Grant. Darryl F. Zanuck prduced and Joseph L. Mankiewicz directed.

It's equal parts comedy, love story, mystery, and drama with a healthy doses of social and political commentary. A real hidden gem of a movie.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

IP Man, IP Man2 (if you enjoy martial arts fight scenes)
    Some Like it Hot (enjoyed this a good deal)
    Tom Horn (meh)
    Winter's Bone (meh)
    Take Me Home Tonight (actually amusing, though cliche)
    Polar Express & Elf (Christmas tradition)

GL
    /lots of time off lately

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Over the weekend, I watched "People Will Talk", a 1951 flick with Cary Grant, Jeanne Crain, Hume Cronyn, etc.

I really didn't know much about this movie and watched it mostly because I was working my way through Cary Grant's catalog and expected a typical Grant screwball farce or rom-com or something. But I was pleasantly surprised to find it .... oddly intelligent, but very good and engaged me much more than I expected.

Grant plays a hugely successful doctor with unusual healing practices. Jeanne Crain is an aspiring medical student who falls in love with him after getting pregnant by a killed Korean War soldier. Hume Cronyn plays a McCarthy -esque professor out to get Grant. Darryl F. Zanuck prduced and Joseph L. Mankiewicz directed.

It's equal parts comedy, love story, mystery, and drama with a healthy doses of social and political commentary. A real hidden gem of a movie.

this is an odd, eclectic kind of film. i did like it. made when third wife betsy drake was helping him quit smoking, did you notice him passing out mints at his clinic? the train set scene and music conductor cary remain in my memory..

i went through cary grant filmography several years ago and have many, many on dvd and have watched many many times.

2 other less-known, but good, titles..."the talk of the town" with jean arthur and ronald colman, "in name only" with carole lombard. i also love "indiscreet" with ingrid bergman.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I have no desire to see "War Horse" -- I don't think I've ever seen a movie about a horse that didn't bore me to tears.

Even National Velvet?

There are plenty of adjectives I can give to viewing a thoroughbred, either on film or in the flesh, but "boring" ain't one of them.

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man".

If you agree with Churchill, or if you dig John Ford, you'll like this movie.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 12-20-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes today. Not as good as the first, but very entertaining, particularly toward the end. Saw The Help on Dvd yesterday. Very good, but I kinda found the dependence on the white girl a bit condescending.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Saw the new Sherlock Holmes today. Not as good as the first, but very entertaining, particularly toward the end. Saw The Help on Dvd yesterday. Very good, but I kinda found the dependence on the white girl a bit condescending.

well, as was the whole culture, and much more than a bit, obviously..point being, the book probably wouldn't have been published and the help's story told otherwise..
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    well, as was the whole culture, and much more than a bit, obviously..point being, the book probably wouldn't have been published and the help's story told otherwise..
    I get that, but there's an unintentional subtext in many stories of the sort that it takes a benevolent white person to lift up the minorities.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I get that, but there's an unintentional subtext in many stories of the sort that it takes a benevolent white person to lift up the minorities.
    i can certainly see how this story comes across that way.

i just hope that the subtext you're talking about is another thing that is being aired and exposed as condescending in the novel "the help" and subsequent film...and it should make one uncomfortable.
    teach tolerance.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Last night we had our annual viewing of "A Muppet's Christmas Carol". Enjoyed it a lot. Still a lot of fun and I forgot about the playfullness and well-buried wit of the Muppets.

We only have a VHS copy of it and had to fire up the old VHS player to see it. I was like "dang, how does this thing work again?". At least the clock didn't blink "12:00".
    we did same with a christmas favorite of ours last night..we have a vhs player in the tv upstairs..anyways, the movie is "die hard". the closing credits alone (w/ vaughn monroe's "let it snow let it snow let it snow" and then "ode to joy") make watching it worthwhile, but it also has alan rickman, a favorite of mine.

also watched a couple of other alan rickman movies lately...last harry potter installment and "love actually"...."sense & sensibility" is on my movie horizon.
    teach tolerance.

team america :P

Sherlock Holmes. would have been a decent enough movie if not for Guy Ritchie's current addiction to stop-action action movies.... Is there a 12 step program out there for him to get some help?

Dumb and Dumber
    We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen
    The Great Escape
    The Sorcerer's Apprentice
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Brooklyn's Finest
    World's Greatest Dad
    Beautiful Ohio

Obviously I had seen the first one before.

I watched The Great Escape at my dad's urging. At the beginning I couldn't get past the fact that everyone spoke English and how unrealistic the setting was at the prison camp. But eventually the charm of this classic film removed all doubt from my mind.

Brooklyn's Finest was a bore.

Dragon Tattoo was excellent for so many reasons.

The rest of the lot were okay "2-star" kind of flicks...

Saw the english version of The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo last night. Thought they did a really good job. I really enjoyed the books and watched the original Swedish ones with subtitles. I thought this one was better. I like Daniel Craig and thought he did a really good job as Blomkvist and the girl who played Lisbeth also did a really good job.

There was one twist in the end that was different than the book or the other movie. I didn't love it, but it didn't make much difference.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Saw Midnight in Paris last night. Thought it was great..
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?