Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Is the 2nd part related to Avatar or the Assassination of Jesse James? Both were long, but the Assassination of Jesse James was 'slow'. Saw Avatar in the Imax (not sure how much different that is than standard 3d viewing) and visually it was great. Story line was predicable, but not terrible. I may be one of the last converts to HD (I'm convinced at some point Best Buy will pay me to get one as much as prices have dropped, and we don't watch enough TV to truely miss it until we watch somebody else's TV), but even w/ a relatively large HD TV, I couldn't imagine watching Avatar at home. Seems like one of those movies that really needs to been seen in a theater.
    Haha, no I was using Assassination of Jesse James as an expletive. As in "Damn, Avatar was a long movie", I just replaced "Damn" with "Assassination of J....".

I loved The Jesse James movie, but it was also long. It was slow but I don't remember being bored. Avatar must have been great in 3D because I really couldn't find any other reason to watch it besides it's visual aspect. Even in just HD it looked pretty cool, but not worth 2hr and 40mins.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I kind of thought so, but wasn't exactly sure.

I'd agree that the visuals were the main reason to see that film, and usually I'm not one to get caught up in special effects, but Avatar was so over the top, it was pretty cool. I actually got a little "sea sick" watching it at the Imax. Story line is ok at best, about what you'd expect, but I don't think you'd go to a movie of that type expecting to get an original story, you're there for the special effects and look of the movie. In those regards, Avatar is brilliant.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Due Date over the weekend. Pretty funny movie. I still have yet to see a movie with Zack Galifanakis that I haven't really enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Due Date over the weekend. Pretty funny movie. I still have yet to see a movie with Zack Galifanakis that I haven't really enjoyed.
    Up in the Air?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Up in the Air?
    How could you not like Up in the Air? Just a great great movie.

Saw Red tonight. Very clever, quite funny and entertaining as hell.

(500) Days of Summer. Loved it.

"The Incredibles" - This was the third time I have seen this movie, and I think I've finally decided that it's in my all-time top 10. Great story, great voice performances by Holly Hunter and Craig T. Nelson, and some of the best comic-book action ever seen in a movie. Five out of five stars.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Toy Story 3 tonight... it was a decent movie. My kid liked it. I'd give it a 7.5/10

Grown Ups.... not a fan. It had some funny comments here and there but seemed to have a lame storyline and bad acting. 5/10... my wife gave it a 7 fwiw... for some reason Sandler doesn't appeal to me much anymore so that could be it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    (500) Days of Summer. Loved it.
    I loved it too. But I also hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "The Incredibles" - This was the third time I have seen this movie, and I think I've finally decided that it's in my all-time top 10. Great story, great voice performances by Holly Hunter and Craig T. Nelson, and some of the best comic-book action ever seen in a movie. Five out of five stars.
    I need to see this again I think. I've always considered it very good (like everything Pixar's made), but not one I'd consider up there with Up or Finding Nemo or Wall-E. I keep seeing people praise it very highly though so I feel like I might not have given it enough thought, and I've only seen it once.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

yeah, I know what you mean.

My view of it exactly.

Great, inventive director, great acting, clever idea, but not much of a script and a forced hollywood ending. What really bothered me was the absolutely unnecessary and poorly written voice over. It just got in the way most of the time.

Here's the story in a nutshell... (Spoiler Alert... kinda)

Guy dates a girl who is out of his league only because she doesn't have any better options at the time, then doesn't understand why a girl he had no right dating in the first place, dumps him. Guy makes a movie out of it, and tries to make the girl look evil and mean, when really, he was just stupid.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My view of it exactly.

Great, inventive director, great acting, clever idea, but not much of a script and a forced hollywood ending. What really bothered me was the absolutely unnecessary and poorly written voice over. It just got in the way most of the time.

Here's the story in a nutshell... (Spoiler Alert... kinda)

Guy dates a girl who is out of his league only because she doesn't have any better options at the time, then doesn't understand why a girl he had no right dating in the first place, dumps him. Guy makes a movie out of it, and tries to make the girl look evil and mean, when really, he was just stupid.
    I liked it a lot. You can always boil movies down to stupid-sounding plot lines. Most of the time, its the telling of the tale.

The patchwork time line of the movie is how I remember relationships (failed and otherwise). You don't recall them in chronological order from "I first saw her from across the room" to "and then her taillights disappeared over the hill". You remember bits and pieces and fragmented events that in 20-20 hindsight pointed out the inevitable end. But as it all happened, it sure wasn't obvious at the time. You want to think "if I'd only done xxx or yyy, it would have worked". But it wasn't one event. It was an accumulation of small little pieces of everyday life and being the person you are and the person she is and the sometimes chaotic way things unfold. Life doesn't always have a nice and orderly linear procession of events. Sometimes its all over the place and only reflection allows you to make sense of the craziness. And I thought this movie nicely and entertainingly showed that.

At least that's what I think. YMMV.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Watched Hondo the John Wayne movie. Hadn't seen a JW movie in forever so I watched it.

Wayne swaggers, kicks some ass, whips some Indians and gets the pretty lass. All been done thousands of times and it was cheesy in some parts. Still, you just can't beat an old JW western (unless it's an Eastwood western of course).:
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?