Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

We saw "Red" yesterday evening. Silly and totally unrealistic, it does have the virtue of a talented cast which is much better than the script, including Bruce Willis, Mary-Louise Parker, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman and Ernest Borgnine. I guess I would give it around a 5 or 6.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Batman: Under the Red Hood" - now, I'll admit, I'm a nerd for Batman as portrayed in movies and TV. I have been ever since I was four years old and my dad rented a film copy (pre-VCR days) of the old Batman serials from the 40's. Loved the Adam West show, loved the Adam West-voiced cartoon in the late 70's. I spazzed out over "Batman: The Animated Series" when I was in college. I loved the Arkham Asylum video game. Can't stand the comic book, but I absolutely love watching Batman cartoons. And this one is the best. The best, if you have some knowledge of the Batman universe, like if you know who Ra's Al Ghul, Nightwing, and Jason Todd are. It's almost certainly the darkest, most violent animated Batman. And the story is fantastic. Five out of five stars.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 11-21-2010 at 02:49 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

HP: Deathly Hallows saturday night. It was a bit slow in spots, but the book was too, and this one stayed pretty faithful to the book. Bawled like a baby at the end.

"Crank 2: High Voltage" - Insane. This movie is completely insane. Four out of five stars.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" - Visually and artistically, this movie is fantastic. However, the artifice undercuts the story. I felt like nothing happening on the screen was very important, because the entire movie felt like the fevered dream of a 20 year-old video game addict. Not that is was a bad dream, just a fluffy, unimportant one. Three out of five stars.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I just finished watching my Blu-Ray copy of "Casablanca"---still a wonderful movie. I then watched "Carrotblanca," the Bugs Bunny '95 cartoon included with the DVD.

Tombstone. I know it's not a popular opinion but I don't like that movie. I think Val Kilmer is really good as Doc. Holliday and I think Sam Elliot and Powers Booth are pretty good. I think Russell is horrible as Wyatt Earp. I think most of the acting is poor, the dialogue isn't very good and I don't like the action scenes. Also think the score is horrendous.

My friends and brothers love that movie, it's even one of the few Westerns that my wife likes. I don't know maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Tombstone. I know it's not a popular opinion but I don't like that movie. I think Val Kilmer is really good as Doc. Holliday and I think Sam Elliot and Powers Booth are pretty good. I think Russell is horrible as Wyatt Earp. I think most of the acting is poor, the dialogue isn't very good and I don't like the action scenes. Also think the score is horrendous.

My friends and brothers love that movie, it's even one of the few Westerns that my wife likes. I don't know maybe it's just me.

I am going to agree with you. I will add the narrator sounded lame and ridiculous at the beginning and end. It was like....huh? what? Just sounded like some guy came off the street with a nice deep voice and said "Here, read this."

The movie just seemed disjointed and hard to follow at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I am going to agree with you. I will add the narrator sounded lame and ridiculous at the beginning and end. It was like....huh? what? Just sounded like some guy came off the street with a nice deep voice and said "Here, read this."

They should have just had Sam Elliot do it. Or, even better they should have done a reverse Big Lebowski thing and have Jeff Bridges do the narrating.

Taking Woodstock......I wasted 2 hours of my life watching this.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

The narrator was Robert Mitchum. Mitchum was originally supposed to play "Old Man" Clanton, Ike's father and leader of the Cowboys, but Mitchum's health didn't permit him to take on the role, reducing him to being the narrator.
    I totally disagree with Razor and your negative reviews of "Tombstone," but to each his own.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Tombstone is a good flick, if only due to Kilmer as Doc.

"Ah'm ya hukleberreh."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Anyone else watch the premiere of "The Walking Dead"? It was a little slow, but the ending picked up the pace (and the gore).
    I've caught the first 3 episodes on TW on demand and have really enjoyed it. I think there are only 6 episodes total for the first season, and I think #5 premiered last night. I recored 3 & 4, hoping to watch them at some point this week, and perhaps catch the final live.

Has anyone watched Rubicon (also on AMC?) We recorded the show over the summer, but never took the time to watch it until recently. Its a little slow, and perhaps "too smart" for a wide audience, but I think we enjoy it. However, as I feared would happen it is not going to get picked up for season 2. For those that have seen it, is it worth going thru the rest of the show (I think we've seen 3 episodes and there are about 8 to 10 total), or should we just scrap it since its not going to be picked up?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Saw Due Date with the wife tonight and was pleased. Nothing ground breaking but it was funny and did the job.
    Really disappointed with it. Too dark, not funny enough, and a terrible script.

I loved Zach in it, great character, but everything else was beyond predictable. I also never found myself caring what happened to any character.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I've caught the first 3 episodes on TW on demand and have really enjoyed it. I think there are only 6 episodes total for the first season, and I think #5 premiered last night. I recored 3 & 4, hoping to watch them at some point this week, and perhaps catch the final live.
    I love the Walking Dead. The only Zombie movies my wife has been willing to put up with are Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, but even she loves The Walking Dead. Liked Noah Emmerich's appearance last night. I didn't know he was in it, I think he's a very solid actor.

Saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last week. Obviously, they're in dark, dark territory and I sort of lost my fondness for the series as the plot moved further away from its humorous beginnings, only reading the last two reluctantly.
    But I'm a sucker for those three kids, I must admit. I'll stick with the movies until the end as well.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?