Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I like that aspect of it. When I started watching the series, I was mentally checking off events from the comic book, but I think now I'm finally out of that habit, and I can enjoy the show on its own merits. (The first 50-60 issues of the comic book are fantastic, BTW.)

My only dislike with the series is that the writing is clunky from time to time. The high points are astounding (everything in the first episode, Merle stuck on the roof, Amy and Andrea talking about their dad), but the low points are really clunky. Hopefully, Darabont's "dismissal" of the entire writing staff will eliminate those low points.
    I read an article, I can't remember where, that said he didn't fire them. According to this article Darabont was only supposed to do one season and then his right hand man, Charles Eglee, was going to take over. Well Darabont went to AMC and said he'd like to stay on and of course AMC was thrilled so Eglee decided to leave because he wanted his own show. And some of the writers went with him.

Either way I'm glad Darabont is going to stay on.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I read an article, I can't remember where, that said he didn't fire them. According to this article Darabont was only supposed to do one season and then his right hand man, Charles Eglee, was going to take over. Well Darabont went to AMC and said he'd like to stay on and of course AMC was thrilled so Eglee decided to leave because he wanted his own show. And some of the writers went with him.

Either way I'm glad Darabont is going to stay on.
    I read an article that stated something similar. I also read an article that said Frank Darabont wasn't happy with the writing and ended up rewriting much of the script himself. That could explain the up-and-down nature of the dialogue.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Tangled. Ok, channeling my inner girly girl I guess, but I found it very cute. Trite story and very predictable of course, it IS Disney after all. But, *finally*, Disney animates a horse that LOOKS and MOVES (for the most part) like a HORSE. He acts like a dog, but at least they got the look right. lol! Max the horse stole the movie, without a doubt, he was hysterically done. The Cameleon was a hoot too, but Max left him in the dust.

The animation without question was *amazing*.

Got Inception the other day on DVD. If Christopher Nolan gets snubbed by the Academy again this year, that organization lost all creditability in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Got Inception the other day on DVD. If Christopher Nolan gets snubbed by the Academy again this year, that organization lost all creditability in my opinion.
    Snubbed for what? Best Picture?

From the trapped-husband-watching-a-chick-flick corner...

We watched "Eat Pray Love". Way too long and overly self-centered. From what I've read, the book was charming and self-deprecating. The movie is anything but that. By the end of the movie, I hated the main character and was hoping for a tsunami to wash her away. I don't think that's the effect that they were going for.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    From the trapped-husband-watching-a-chick-flick corner...

We watched "Eat Pray Love". Way too long and overly self-centered. From what I've read, the book was charming and self-deprecating. The movie is anything but that. By the end of the movie, I hated the main character and was hoping for a tsunami to wash her away. I don't think that's the effect that they were going for.
    Something titled Eat Prey, Love might have been more entertaining.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Snubbed for what? Best Picture?
    Best Director and Best Picture. To me, there was a clear oversight when the Academy snubbed the Dark Knight even for a best picture nomination. It is actually one of the reasons why they went to a 10 movie list for that category.

Best Director and Best Picture. To me, there was a clear oversight when the Academy snubbed the Dark Knight even for a best picture nomination. It is actually one of the reasons why they went to a 10 movie list for that category.
    My wife & I finally got around to watching Dark Knight. I understand it's really good, but much like Pulp Fiction (which I hear so many folks say is an excellent movie), we couldn't stomach it. Turned it off after 15 minutes or so.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My wife & I finally got around to watching Dark Knight. I understand it's really good, but much like Pulp Fiction (which I hear so many folks say is an excellent movie), we couldn't stomach it. Turned it off after 15 minutes or so.
    What, what, what!!!!

I actually didn't like Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it. Then, I gave it another chance and have watched him quite a few times since. Now it's one of my favorite movies. It's amazing.

Only 15 minutes for the Dark Knight? That's a shame because you're missing one amazing acting performance by Heath Ledger. I thought that movie was a lot of fun to watch.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Inception might get nominated since there are 10 movies, but there is no way it will win.

The Dark Knight probably should have been nominated more because The Reader really wasn't that good of a movie.

Another note from the trapped-husband-watching-a-chick-flick corner... I've talked my wife into watching Inception tonight. No chick flick! Yay!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Something titled Eat Prey, Love might have been more entertaining.
    Or even Jimmy, Eat World.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    What could you 'not stomach'?

You dislike pure awesomeness?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Inception might get nominated since there are 10 movies, but there is no way it will win.

The Dark Knight probably should have been nominated more because The Reader really wasn't that good of a movie.
    I was thinking more Nolan should get best director for Inception and also original script. Though I have to say this hasn't been the most strongest years for movies so I can see Inception winning it.

What couldn't you stomach in The Dark Knight? I can't really recall anything being vulgar or bad in that movie.

Turn Off Ads?