Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

"Thor" - An excellent comic book movie. Just a tick below the first Iron Man and Spider Man movies, but it was still a ton of fun. Good storytelling, good performances, and a worthy villain. Plus (highlightable semi-spoiler below)...

Hawkeye!!!!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Saw Source Code and The Lincoln Lawyer over the last few days.

Source Code was better than I thought it was going to be, it was actually a pretty good movie.

I liked the Lincoln Lawyer but it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. A reviewer who I almost always agree with gave it really high marks, I thought it was good but not great.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I disagree with all the love for Thor in this thread. It could be because I am not at all familiar with the Thor comic but it just seemed like a generic, predictable, superhero movie. It just didn't have any oomph to it IMHO.

I also watched How Do You Know with Paul Rudd, Reese Witherspoon, Jack Nicholson and Owen Wilson. All the reviews said it was terrible but I didn't listen. I should have listened.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I also watched How Do You Know with Paul Rudd, Reese Witherspoon, Jack Nicholson and Owen Wilson. All the reviews said it was terrible but I didn't listen. I should have listened.
    I remember I actually wanted to see this until the reviews came out. They were pretty brutal.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Saw 3 movies over the weekend.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: C+
    Perhaps my least favorite film of the franchise. Missing much of the humor and intense/wacky action scenes. Blackbeard is a lame villain compared to Barbossa and Davy Jones. Penelope Cruz is not believeable as a sword swinging buccaneer.

Kung Fu Panda 2: Electric Boogaloo: C
    Not a bad story, but not as much fun or as funny as the original. Not awful, but not a lot to it.

Something Borrowed: D
    The things you do when you're married.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: C+
    Perhaps my least favorite film of the franchise. Missing much of the humor and intense/wacky action scenes. Blackbeard is a lame villain compared to Barbossa and Davy Jones. Penelope Cruz is not believeable as a sword swinging buccaneer.
    The film suffered greatly from a lack of compelling villain and from not having a strong-enough foil to play off Johnny Depp -- the movie really needed someone like Orlando Bloom, and I thought Penolope Cruz (while pretty to look at) really didn't work in that role. I would have actually preferred they have elimintated her character entirely and done more with the Mermaid / Clergyman storyline, which could have been interesting if we learned ANY backstory whatsoever about the Clergyman (who was so memorable as a character that I don't even remember his name).

And, really, did the Spaniards presence in the story make ANY sense whatsoever?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Kung Fu Panda 2, I was a little apprehensive about it going in, but it was actually pretty good. The animation in these films continues to amaze me. The story was good, and the ending was good.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Something Borrowed: D
    The things you do when you're married.
    I liked it.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I liked it.
    Did you enjoy the one-dimensional characters or predictable story more?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Did you enjoy the one-dimensional characters or predictable story more?
    All of it. I am easy to please when it comes to movies.

Bridesmaids. Raunchy and that opening almost deserved an X rating, but overall good fun. Went with a guy friend who called it a "guy humor movie done by women". Dude is an unmarried 20 somethjing, seriously he's never heard how rude and obnoxious a bunch of old married women can get when we get going!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Bridesmaids. Raunchy and that opening almost deserved an X rating, but overall good fun. Went with a guy friend who called it a "guy humor movie done by women". Dude is an unmarried 20 somethjing, seriously he's never heard how rude and obnoxious a bunch of old married women can get when we get going!
    I saw Bridesmaids last week as well -- very, very funny. I wasn't prepared for the level of cringe-humor in several places (notably the "dress fitting" scene).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I saw The Hangover 2 last night. It was worth paying $7 to see. Not as good as the first one but still some great scenes. The wolf pack was back in full force.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I saw The Hangover 2 last night. It was worth paying $7 to see. Not as good as the first one but still some great scenes. The wolf pack was back in full force.
    I agree. It followed the same formula as the first one, almost exactly. So while it was still funny, the suspense and excitement was kind of lacking.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

La Dolce Vita

forgetting sarah marshall..daughter told me i'd like this. she was right. i haven't seen jason segel since "freaks and geeks" (don't watch "how i met your mother"), but this made me a fan, especially of his script-and song writing i do love russell brand.

clint's "pale rider"...hadn't seen it for years, and i'd forgotten how over(t)ly reminiscent of "shane", with a bit of "high noon" it is .... made me want to watch "the outlaw josey wales" or something else eastwood instead.
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?