Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

My son took me to see Thor.. was my first 3D movie.

loved it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I thought Cars 2 was fine. Not up to Pixar's normal standards, but still better than 99% of kids movies. It's a tough thing to make a movie that will appeal to both children and adults, and they almost always manage, just didn't quite get there this time. Most importantly though, my three year old son enjoyed it.
    Question, how "active" is your 3 year old? My son just turned 3 yesterday, loves Cars, watches about 15-30 minutes of it each day (that or Thomas after my wife picks him up after school is out). We were thinking of waiting for it to hit the cheapee theater, sitting in the back w/ a bucket full of popcorn and seeing how long he lasts. He normally doesn't sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time, though occasionally we've watched whole movies straight thru, or at least an hour thru and while walking around the family room, he'll generally pay attention, sometimes even sit on the coach with us a majority of the time, just not sure how he's going to last thru at the theater.

Got our first baseball game at the Dragons tonight, hoping to make it 5 innings, which would be a success (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Question, how "active" is your 3 year old? My son just turned 3 yesterday, loves Cars, watches about 15-30 minutes of it each day (that or Thomas after my wife picks him up after school is out). We were thinking of waiting for it to hit the cheapee theater, sitting in the back w/ a bucket full of popcorn and seeing how long he lasts. He normally doesn't sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time, though occasionally we've watched whole movies straight thru, or at least an hour thru and while walking around the family room, he'll generally pay attention, sometimes even sit on the coach with us a majority of the time, just not sure how he's going to last thru at the theater.

Got our first baseball game at the Dragons tonight, hoping to make it 5 innings, which would be a success (I think)
    Pretty standard, bouncing off the walls constantly, goes non stop from waking up in the morning until night. Like most 3 year olds I think.

He did ok with Cars 2, but it's a little long so I'd be prepared to pull the plug (we were, but he made it).

I like the cheap theater idea, I've considered that also, but I was a little worried about the lack of stadium seating. My three year old's really tall for his age, but I still worry a little about him being able to see the screen in a non stadium seating theater, and in Columbus anyway it seems like all the cheap theaters are old fashioned.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I figure that Jaws is the reason to this day I have nearly zero interest in going near an ocean, or for not even being a "beachy" person in general.
    I too have a bit of an irrational fear of being eaten by a giant shark if i swim in the ocean.

If you like B movies there were a ton of Jaws ripoffs. Pirahna, Orca, Tentacles & Grizzlie come to mind. Same basic story but different monster.

Pretty standard, bouncing off the walls constantly, goes non stop from waking up in the morning until night. Like most 3 year olds I think.

He did ok with Cars 2, but it's a little long so I'd be prepared to pull the plug (we were, but he made it).

I like the cheap theater idea, I've considered that also, but I was a little worried about the lack of stadium seating. My three year old's really tall for his age, but I still worry a little about him being able to see the screen in a non stadium seating theater, and in Columbus anyway it seems like all the cheap theaters are old fashioned.
    Thanks, my son is pretty tall for his age as well, but I'm hoping that a week into the cheap theater run, the movie won't be packed so it will be easy for him to see. He made it all 9 innings of a Dragon's game last night, which I didn't think possible, so perhaps he can make it thru a movie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    He made it all 9 innings of a Dragon's game last night, which I didn't think possible, so perhaps he can make it thru a movie as well.
    Nice! Still haven't tried a game in normal seats, he's been to a couple of Reds game, but they were in a suite where he could run around. Probably will try him at a Clippers game soon.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    If you like B movies there were a ton of Jaws ripoffs. Pirahna, Orca, Tentacles & Grizzlie come to mind. Same basic story but different monster.
    I think this was on the back cover of every comic book I got that year.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Nice! Still haven't tried a game in normal seats, he's been to a couple of Reds game, but they were in a suite where he could run around. Probably will try him at a Clippers game soon.
    Things got really easy after about the 5th or 6th when the couple next to us left to get their kids home. then my boy had 4 rows of seats to "practice" his baseball swing. Give him a little bit of room and he's happy as a clam.

I don't want to start a new thread, but I have a question. We might go to a drive in theater Saturday after my son'd baseball tournament. They are showing Cars 2 and Super 8. My kids are 13 and 10. I'm somewhat permissive in what movies I let them see. Would Super 8 in your opinions be appropriate for 10?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I don't want to start a new thread, but I have a question. We might go to a drive in theater Saturday after my son'd baseball tournament. They are showing Cars 2 and Super 8. My kids are 13 and 10. I'm somewhat permissive in what movies I let them see. Would Super 8 in your opinions be appropriate for 10?
    The train crash scene is pretty intense and there are a couple scenes with the alien that are a little scary, but I think you'll probably be fine.

There might be 1 or 2 quick words of mild-to-above-mild language that make you flinch but it's not the focal point of the movie at all, so if you can move past a quick word so will your kids and you'll probably forget about them entirely- Buckeye doesn't even mention it so that tells you how well/quickly they are used.

I'd be more worried about the "scare scenes" than the language though. Your 10 year old will probably be scared but I think it is a healthy level of scare. Nothing gratuitous or unecessarily graphic- mostly suspenseful. Rustling in the bushes, quick cuts, something darting off screen, etc. The point of the movie is the fear and having to face it in order to come to terms with the twists and turns of life. Unless a single word or a scary/suspenseful scene can ruin a great movie for you, Super 8 is really great for 13 and good and slightly challenging for 10.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Took the lady to see Transformers 3 last night.....awful, horrific, putrid, pathetic, inane, insulting and downright bad. In case you can't tell, I hated it. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

However, last weekend we rented The King's Speech. A+ and then some.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

So at one point in Suburban Commando Christopher Lloyd is having trouble unlocking his car door, so Hulk Hogan rips the door off of the car......Hogan then runs around and simply opens the passenger door......Lloyd didn't have time to unlock it yet!!!!! Where is the consistency???
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

My wife & I went to see Woody Allen's latest this afternoon, "Midnight in Paris". I had heard and read rave reviews & I think it lives up to them. The opening shots were just beautifully filmed and some of the acting of the famous characters were very well done (the guy playing Hemingway had us rolling in the aisles). Owen Wilson essentially plays his character as Woody Allen would have played it and that worked well too. And great jazz music throughout, another very Woody Allen feature.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Anyone know of any good, semi-family friendly (PG-13), action-adventure movies out on DVD/ Blu-ray right now? Thanks,

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?