Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Just watched The Girl Who Played With Fire on Netflix streaming. My wife is a big fan of the "Millenium Trilogy" books and I have to say the movies are quite good, with the caveat that you either need to speak Swedish or read subtitles.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Anyone know of any good, semi-family friendly (PG-13), action-adventure movies out on DVD/ Blu-ray right now? Thanks,

I thought "Prince of Persia" was pretty inoffensive and relatively entertaining.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

I thought "Prince of Persia" was pretty inoffensive and relatively entertaining.
    Yeah, it was pretty good, and thanks, but I've already seen this one.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Anyone know of any good, semi-family friendly (PG-13), action-adventure movies out on DVD/ Blu-ray right now? Thanks,

North by Northwest
    The Princess Bride
    Goonies
    Gremlins
    Jurassic Park
    Back to the Future

Six off the top of my head, all classics.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Just watched The Girl Who Played With Fire on Netflix streaming. My wife is a big fan of the "Millenium Trilogy" books and I have to say the movies are quite good, with the caveat that you either need to speak Swedish or read subtitles.
    I watched all 3 of the Swedish movies. I loved the books and thought the movies were ok. If you read the books they were definitely worth a watch. I had a couple of issues with the casting, mainly Mikael Blomkvist. But in terms of following the storyline they all do it pretty well.

North by Northwest
    The Princess Bride
    Goonies
    Gremlins
    Jurassic Park
    Back to the Future
    Definitely some good suggestions, and maybe it was partly my fault for saying action-adventure, but I'm generally looking for more shooting and less time travel than those offer, although I've never seen a couple of them.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Definitely some good suggestions, and maybe it was partly my fault for saying action-adventure, but I'm generally looking for more shooting and less time travel than those offer, although I've never seen a couple of them.

Well, more shooting and PG-13 rarely go together. Seems like most "Shoot 'em up" action movies push the envelope up to an R rating, though many I wouldn't qualify as unfit for the typical 12 year old.

Other than the action movies of my youth, which may or may not be appropriate for your case (Terminator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon (which I think had some female nudity in the 2nd one)) I can't offer anything recent.

My nephews both loved "National Treasure" though I've never seen it. The Rock has been in a few, can't recall the titles, "Scorpion King" maybe.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

If you never saw Star Trek a few summers ago, that's the best recent PG-13 action movie I can think of...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Priest.. awful. Just terrible all around. Little story or plot, just as little action. Worst movie I have seen in a long while.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If you never saw Star Trek a few summers ago, that's the best recent PG-13 action movie I can think of...
    Agreed on this one. Great popcorn flick that requires little-to-no familiarity with any of the old Trek stuff to get into.

You also can't go wrong with the Iron Man movies (1 moreso than 2).
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

We saw "Larry Crowne" this weekend. Decent, but nothing special. Worthy of a Netflix/Redbox rental, but not theater price.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Already seen Star Trek, both Iron Mans, both National Treasures, a couple Terminators, and The Scorpion King, but whatever. Just was curious if anyone had some recent suggestions. Thanks all,

If you want a "thoughtful" Twilight Zone style modern sci-fi movie check out Moon. Rated R but definitely worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I watched all 3 of the Swedish movies. I loved the books and thought the movies were ok. If you read the books they were definitely worth a watch. I had a couple of issues with the casting, mainly Mikael Blomkvist. But in terms of following the storyline they all do it pretty well.
    Daniel Craig as Blomkvist should be interesting. I'm really looking forward to the English language Dragon Tattoo.

From Beyond (1986). Somehow I have never seen this despite being a fan of H P Lovecraft since I was a teen. This is one of the better adaptions. A lot of Lovecraft movies just slap his name onto a horror flick that has nothing to do with his writing. This one didn't. A couple of physicists are using a frequency resonator & get contact 'from beyond'. Jeffrey Combs is a bit of an icon in the horror genre. He was excellent in this movie. He had his trademark weird intensity going well. Definitely recommended for fans of supernatural horror.
    One caution. It can be a bit violent at times. Not as bad as the horror films of the last 10 years but it deserves its 'R' rating. Not for folks under 17.

Turn Off Ads?