Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Finally watched Thor. I had plans to go with a bunch of people to see it when it was out, but had to cancel because of illness.

Not bad. Not the best, but a lot of it was fun. My biggest complaint would be the cgi Frost Giant stuff looked too video gamish. The guy playing Loki was spot-on. I've read the mythology since I read the comic, so that's what's in my head now, but I thought he embodied Loki nicely, particularly in the first part of the movie. Loki always made me want to root for him, even though I knew I shouldn't. The whole thing with Loki being Slepinir's (Odin's horse) mother always made me feel sorry for him.

Thor was better on Earth than he was in Asgard, but the early odd couple stuff between him and Loki was pretty on target as far as mythological tone goes, which is hard to do given the factual changes between myth and comic. I would guess that Kenneth Branagh, given his classical pedigree, is pretty familiar with the mythology.

As far as Avengers precursors go, I'd rank it behind Iron Man and Captain America, but well ahead of Iron Man 2 (can we just forget that happened?) It was nice to see Hawkeye show up during the movie itself.
    Last edited by tixe; 10-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I relented and we got "Just Go With It" from Netflix. Adam Sandler, Jennifer Anniston, et al. remake of Cactus Flower.

The 2 words that consistently came to mind was "stupid" and "boring". I fell asleep twice. I swear they ad-libbed half the dialogue hoping something funny would happen. It never did. I want that 2 hours of my life back.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Thought Ides of March was fantastic.
    Agreed. Very well made and didn't try to do too much.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I saw "50/50" yesterday and it was great. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really good and I think has an outside chance at an Oscar nod for this one.

Roots

Roots: I found the Roots mini series on dvd & watched it over 4 nights. I remember it fondly from my youth. Its highly entertaining and would be a good introduction to the topic of slavery for older kids and teens.

Sailor Moon: my wife has a live action version of this 1990s anime for girls. its extremely campy. kinda like the old Batman live action show. i found myself enthralled by its goofiness even though i don't think i am the target audience.

Captain Kronoss Vampire Hunter: a late Hammer horror movie. i give this one a 'B'. its a bit of an odd mix of action & horror. i think Hammer was trying to move from the older man (think Peter Cushing) as the cerebral monster hunter to a younger man who fights the monster with his brawn.

But Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee were the reasons I loved Hammer horror films! Ihave to admit I haven't seen Captain Kronos.

Cushing's a legend anyway. From Van Helsing to Dr. Who and on to Star Wars.

The Big Year. By no means Oscar material, but an entertaining, sweet movie. I usually can't stand Jack Black, but he was actually pretty decent in this one--there is hope for him to be an actor and not just a one sided charactor.

Drive and Take Shelter in the last week. Enjoyed both films very much.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    The Big Year. By no means Oscar material, but an entertaining, sweet movie. I usually can't stand Jack Black, but he was actually pretty decent in this one--there is hope for him to be an actor and not just a one sided charactor.
    you a birder?
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I read this book a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was very surprised when I saw it was going to be a movie. Eccentric obsessions about birding isn't a big Hollywood topic. Glad to see it though.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I saw "50/50" last weekend. I liked it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    you a birder?
    Nope, just an animal nut. College major was Zoology with an emphasis in North American Mammals. But I do like watching the Jays that occupy the crabapple tree behind our house. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    you a birder?
    Nope, just an animal nut. College major was Zoology with an emphasis in North American Mammals. But I do like watching the Jays that occupy the crabapple tree behind our house. lol!

With the only 1:00 game on Dish being the Browns-Seahawks I opted to watch "100 Rifles," a 1969 western starring Jim Brown, Burt Reynolds, Fernando Lamas and Raquel Welch. The script was rather silly and it is hardly a classic film but I kind of enjoyed it anyway.
    Jim Brown proved that while he was a great runningback ne was a lousy actor. He did not make a credible old west lawman.
    Burt Reynolds essentially seemed to be playing Burt Reynolds and wasn't all that believable as a halfbreed outlaw.....but then he was more believable as an outlaw than Lamas was as a bad guy Mexican soldier.
    Raquel? She was in her absolute prime then and she was the one who looked mahvelous!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

"Troll Hunter" - A Norwegian found-footage "expose" in the tradition of "The Blair Witch Project" in which three college students track down a man they believe is a bear poacher, but who is really the titular troll hunter. Some good CGI and a a good bit of humor help, but ultimately it's pretty boring and non-impactful.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?