Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Two Jay

Super Two Jay

I guess it isn't an exact science. However, when you are winning nobody will likely care.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...medium=twitter

The top beneficiary of the reduced Super Two requirement is Reds right fielder Jay Bruce. After this season Bruce will have two years and 125 days, and MLBTR has confirmed he'll be the Super Two with the least amount of service time. The Reds delayed his MLB debut until May 27th back in 2008, but he's still going to arbitration four times
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Super Two Jay

If I'm understanding this correctly, it means Jay goes to arbitration one year earlier than we expected, correct?

I don't really care one way or the other about when they start arbitration, because I'd like to see the Reds sign both Jay and Joey to longer contracts BEFORE they go to arbitration. Those 2 kids should be the faces of this franchise for the better part of this decade IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If I'm understanding this correctly, it means Jay goes to arbitration one year earlier than we expected, correct?
    yes. He is a "Super Two"
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

If this is correct, then this year's cutoff is a massive aberration being six days earlier than it ever has been. Looking back on my calculations from 2008, I figured a few days grace period beyond the earliest Super Two day would have likely sufficed, and the Reds went beyond that by three additional days.

Looks like the Reds (and me two years ago) were snakebit in their calculations and missed the cutoff by one day, and that one day could cost them several million dollars in 2011. Maybe the new rule should be figure out the earliest possible date that's ever occurred ... then wait another 10 days beyond that point.

Of course, I look at this way: if that prevents the Reds from signing another Arthur Rhodes in 2011, then this hurts quite a bit. But if it prevents them from signing another Mike Lincoln, then it's a blessing in disguise. Of course, we may never know where Bruce's 2011 arbitration money will come from unless a player is shipped out to clear up salary space.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If this is correct, then this year's cutoff is a massive aberration being six days earlier than it ever has been. Looking back on my calculations from 2008, I figured a few days grace period beyond the earliest Super Two day would have likely sufficed, and the Reds went beyond that by three additional days.

Looks like the Reds (and me two years ago) were snakebit in their calculations and missed the cutoff by one day, and that one day could cost them several million dollars in 2011. Maybe the new rule should be figure out the earliest possible date that's ever occurred ... then wait another 10 days beyond that point.

Of course, I look at this way: if that prevents the Reds from signing another Arthur Rhodes in 2011, then this hurts quite a bit. But if it prevents them from signing another Mike Lincoln, then it's a blessing in disguise. Of course, we may never know where Bruce's 2011 arbitration money will come from unless a player is shipped out to clear up salary space.
    I look at it this way, a young talent like Bruce that is 'working out' at the big league level will probably make you that much money by butts he puts in the seats. He's worth every penny and it's pure silliness how the Reds wait to sign young talent like Votto and Bruce to long-term deals. They could build around these two and the young pitching and we could be set for a half decade or more.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I look at it this way, a young talent like Bruce that is 'working out' at the big league level will probably make you that much money by butts he puts in the seats. He's worth every penny and it's pure silliness how the Reds wait to sign young talent like Votto and Bruce to long-term deals. They could build around these two and the young pitching and we could be set for a half decade or more.
    Jay Bruce is a nice player on a team that is playing good baseball right now. I would argue that he himself isn't putting people in the seats. He may have on his debut and the next few games but he is hardly the marque player on this Reds team.

What I do find disappointing is last year when Bruce was struggling mightily there was talk about sending him down to AAA to get the kinks worked out. The Reds didn't and that probably would have been the difference between him being a super 2 and not a super 2. It is somewhat unfortunate that he will be a super 2 because his development is still a work in process. I like the player Jay Bruce is becoming but just wondering what if.

I wish all 'work in progress' players were on pace for nearly 4 wins as a player....

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

I don't really care one way or the other about when they start arbitration, because I'd like to see the Reds sign both Jay and Joey to longer contracts BEFORE they go to arbitration. Those 2 kids should be the faces of this franchise for the better part of this decade IMO.
    They'll still have to pay for it. His agent isn't going to let him sign a contract that pays him like he's not a super two when they know he is one. But, I would guess that an OFer probably would have to hit a lot of HRs and drive in a lot of runs or hit for a really high average and steal a lot of bases to get that much more from being super two.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wish all 'work in progress' players were on pace for nearly 4 wins as a player....
    The super two status will cost the Reds quite a bit of money. I am not saying that Jay is a bad player nor am I saying that I wouldn't invest in him for the long term. What I am saying is that these three awful months will cost the Reds.

May .212/.276/.487
    June .187/.292/.385
    July .138/.138/.241

That right there is awful baseball. Time that Jay spent learning the game and developing. If he has spent one trip in AAA, which his numbers supported, the Reds wouldn't have been forced to pay him super 2 status.

I look at it this way (and not that what the Dbacks do are the carbon copy of how to build your ballclub, but I do like what they did with Justin Upton).

Bruce is having a year this season similar to the year that Justin Upton had last season on the Dbacks. He's not going to finish with as many stolen bases, but everything else will be comparable and he's playing better defense by a long haul then Upton did last season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ruceja01.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ptonju01.shtml

If Bruce finishes out the year with comparable numbers, say, .280 with 80 RBI and 20 HR and 90 runs scored and he continues to play great defense in right field; playing every day.... I think you have to lock him up. I think you lock him up similar to the deal that Upton got (6 years, $51.25 million). Let's say it's something around 5-6 years and $38-45 Million. Don't you think that's a bargain if Bruce turns out to be what the Reds scouts, and scouts around baseball expected him to be? Then you focus around building the pitching staff, and keeping those guys and Joey Votto long-term and Bruce is already in the kitty through his early prime years. It would be a nice, nice move.

And while he isn't the Marquee player on the Reds, he's quietly a guy who is a VERY nice luxury to have hitting 5 or 6 hole every single day vs. rightie or leftie, OPSing over .820 and playing gold glove defense in right field at age 23. I don't think he's a finished product. I think he's just scratching the surface.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I would not be surprised to see the Reds move to long terms deals with both Votto and Bruce this offseason that take them through their arb years. Fiscal certainty is a big deal for an organization with a budget like ours.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If they declined the option on Harang and most likely Arroyo there is $22.5 Mil. Factor in the expiring contracts of Miles $2.5 Mil, Lincoln's $2.5 Mil and Rhodes $2 Mil, Nix $0.8, then the decision on options for Hernandez $3.5 Mil, Cabrera $4 Mil and Gomes $1.75 Mil the team will have an additional $28 - 34 Million of payroll space if ipayroll stays static. Factor in Phillips getting a $3 Mil raise next year and the arbitration numbers of the eligible players:

Cueto $4 to 6 Mil
    Votto $5 to 8 Mil
    Bray $1 Mil
    Bruce $2 to 4 Mil

Payroll is still about $10 Million short of this years #... Figuring a younger roster of

Votto
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Cozart
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Bruce
    Hanigan

Sutton/Valakia
    Janish
    Francisco/Dorn/Frazier
    Dickerson/Perez
    Castillo/Denove/Miller

Volquez
    Cueto
    Leake
    Chapman
    Bailey

Owings
    Ondrusek
    Smith
    Bray
    Joseph
    Massett
    Cordero
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I would not be surprised to see the Reds move to long terms deals with both Votto and Bruce this offseason that take them through their arb years. Fiscal certainty is a big deal for an organization with a budget like ours.
    Exactly. You'd think long-term contracts (5-years or more) would be something we'd do a lot more of when guys are at the stage of a Votto, a Bruce, or even a few years ago with Phillips; but Phillips only got 3-4 years if I'm correct and they called it 'long-term' even though in actuality it wasn't all that long.

My guess is they'll pick up Arroyo's option

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Just for reference, here are some other Reds who will likely be arbitration eligible following the season's end:
    Bill Bray
    Jared Burton
    Johnny Cueto
    Laynce Nix
    Micah Owings
    Edinson Volquez
    Joey Votto

Turn Off Ads?