Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chase Utley Injured Last Night

Chase Utley Injured Last Night

This could be a huge loss for the Phillies and fortunate timing for the Reds if he has to miss time.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...e_to_Reds.html

CINCINNATI - The Phillies' clubhouse was quiet, as it typically is after any loss, Monday's 7-3 defeat to the Cincinnati Reds included. But this was a different kind of silence.

Everyone was thinking it. Shane Victorino was the first to say it.

"Hopefully, Chase is not seriously, seriously hurt," Victorino said. "For him to leave a game, he's the last guy who is going to take himself out of a game."

And that's exactly what happened in the ninth inning. Instead of Chase Utley leading off, Juan Castro pinch-hit. After the game, the team disclosed that Utley had injured his right thumb on a headfirst slide in the fourth inning as he tried unsuccessfully to stretch a single into a double.

The second baseman will have an MRI exam on his hand Tuesday in Cincinnati, according to Scott Proefrock, the Phillies' assistant general manager. That will determine the severity of the injury.

But Utley, who has played through his share of injuries, may have provided enough context as to how serious this injury could be when he did not bat in the ninth.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Re: Chase Utley Injured Last Night

This could be a BIG break for the Reds. The Phils would have to restructure their lineup a bit too, what with Utley hitting 3rd.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I assume he's going to see Kremchek. I think Doc's diagnosis should include "two days rest" no matter what the MRI says...

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I assume he's going to see Kremchek. I think Doc's diagnosis should include "two days rest" no matter what the MRI says...
    Haha, we can only hope.

This is similar to the injury that put Jason Heyward on the DL.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Huge loss for the Phillies. Utley is a fantastic ballplayer and, by all accounts I've ever read, a class-act. Hate to see him sidelined, even if it is against the Reds.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I'd like to see the Reds miss him the rest of the series and the whole next series.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Utley should be put on the 15 day DL ASAP.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Huge loss for the Phillies. Utley is a fantastic ballplayer and, by all accounts I've ever read, a class-act.
    Mac from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia thinks he's dreamy!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

From Jerry Crasnick:

Double whammy for the Phillies: Team is expected to place both Chase Utley and Placido Polanco on the DL later Tuesday.

http://twitter.com/jcrasnick

If true, both of them will still be out of the lineup when the Reds play in Philly next week. Hopefully the Reds can take advantage and win the season series against the Phillies.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

The injuries may also help Phillips and Rolen make the all star team. If I remember correctly, both Phillies were leading in vote totals at their positions.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

You never want to root for this thing or see guys get hurt...but at the same time, you really hope the Reds can capitalize on Philly's loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Mac from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia thinks he's dreamy!
    Dear Chase, I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you some day. It would be great to have a catch. I know I canít throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Do you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did, and I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.

Mac
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    This will also affect who starts in the All Star Game for the NL. Both Utley and Polanco are currently leading in votes. You would think Phillips and Rolen would be considered for starting spots in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dear Chase, I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you some day. It would be great to have a catch. I know I canít throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Do you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did, and I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.

Mac
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?