Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: White Sox, Angels Targeting Adam Dunn

White Sox, Angels Targeting Adam Dunn

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: White Sox, Angels Targeting Adam Dunn

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...-sox29.article

More important, he would be welcomed enthusiastically.

''He's one of my favorite guys that I ever got a chance to play with, actually,'' Sox reliever Matt Thornton said, recalling the time he spent with Dunn on Team USA last year in the World Baseball Classic. ''It was only for about four weeks that I got to play with him, but just a great clubhouse guy. He gets a bad rep for striking out a lot, but from what I've seen and talking to guys that have faced him a lot, he's had a lot of at-bats where he's 0-2 and then pretty soon it's a full count and he's drawing the walk. Then obviously, the power in his bat, he's one of the best in the game.''

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I love the guy and I miss him. Favorite Red of all-time, bar none.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I believe someday we may equate the Dunn trade in the same breath as the Frank Robinson trade.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I love the guy and I miss him. Favorite Red of all-time, bar none.
    Ironic that the Reds are playing their best baseball in over a decade and your lamenting the talents of a guy who doesn't have a position on the current Reds. Don't get me wrong I would like to have his bat somewhere in this lineup, but unfortunately he doesn't have a place to play for the Reds.

The Nats are up against a very difficult decision. The club is starting to come together. With Willingham, Dunn, and Zimmerman you have a nice core to any lineup. Add in Strasburg and Jordan Zimmerman, and from what I saw a pretty competent, young pen, and you have a very nice core developing. While Harper may be a couple of years away at best he is a very nice piece to have in the organization.

To me it makes sense for the Nats to hold onto Dunn and attempt to sign him to another 2-3 year contract this off season. The club is trending in the right direction right now no reason to mess with that. But if some team blows you away then I guess you have to pull the trigger on the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I believe someday we may equate the Dunn trade in the same breath as the Frank Robinson trade.
    Nope, the deals were both radically different, the people HATED the Robby trade which was a bad talent trade that had failures on the AAA star (Simpson) Reliever (Bauldshien) and Pappas. It was an attempt to get a team with bad pitching and the most runs in the league a leg up on their pitching.

Dunn was a money deal and acknowledged that he was blocked position wise, it was hated way less and hurt the team way less, the comparison is apples and tirechains

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Tough to compare a trade under the old reserve clause (Robinson) vs. a trade to recoup some value prior to losing a player to free agency (Dunn).

Dunn is on that short list of players whom I will always stop and watch an at bat, when I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Dunn was a money deal and acknowledged that he was blocked position wise, it was hated way less and hurt the team way less, the comparison is apples and tirechains
    I feel that history will show that what was given up versus what was received in both deals will be similar.

additionally, I have my doubts that Dunn will go on to win an MVP or hit for the triple crown. On top of that, the Reds had every opportunity to re-acquire Dunn the next offseason, but choose to pass like many major league teams did (at least at his asking price)

I feel that history will show that what was given up versus what was received in both deals will be similar.
    Perhaps (I doubt Micah is going to be on the tip of anyone's toungue 20 seasons from now), and would say that would be a good argument to apply to many trades of proven major league talent in exchange for minor league prospects.

The package the Red recieved from Baltimore was pretty darn nice, Simpson had just won the PCL batting title, Bauldshien was a top flight middle reliever in the Sully mode and Pappas despite never catching on here was a very very good pitcher.

Micha Ownings wishes he had 2 years of Milts career

Dunn is no where near the all around player that Robby was at that time. Robby won the triple crown the year after he was traded. I don't think Dunn will ever come close to a triple crown. IMO, just no comparison at all between the two players.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Dunn is no where near the all around player that Robby was at that time. Robby won the triple crown the year after he was traded. I don't think Dunn will ever come close to a triple crown. IMO, just no comparison at all between the two players.
    Maybe. Time will tell.

Maybe. Time will tell.
    Maybe?

hmmm.

Frank Robinson was probably one of top 20 players of all time.

I'm not sure Dunn is in the top 20 this year.

And Dunn was my favorite player when he was on the Reds.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ironic that the Reds are playing their best baseball in over a decade and your lamenting the talents of a guy who doesn't have a position on the current Reds. Don't get me wrong I would like to have his bat somewhere in this lineup, but unfortunately he doesn't have a place to play for the Reds.
    Depends where Johnny Gomes ends up. And I still think Dunn will end up with better numbers this year.

That said, I think Gomes looks every bit the butcher in LF that Dunn was and might end up with less offensive numbers
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?