Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keith Law's Updated Top 25 Prospect Rankings

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Keith Law's Updated Top 25 Prospect Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Reminds me of another top prospect who set the world on fire for his first month only to regress significantly once the scouting report got around.
    Jay Bruce?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kevin Goldstein just listed his top 11 prospects still in the minor leagues and has Aroldis Chapman No. 9.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Jay Bruce?
    Yup.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

I thought Heyward's main problem was an injury. Seems like that might be more important in this instance than the book getting passed around... ?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I thought Heyward's main problem was an injury. Seems like that might be more important in this instance than the book getting passed around... ?
    I would buy that if he weren't striking out 30% of the time in the month of June (18% the previous two months).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would buy that if he weren't striking out 30% of the time in the month of June (18% the previous two months).
    Could a thumb injury slow down his swing enough to make him K-prone? I mean... that's the free pass you've been giving Alonso right?

(not that I disagree with Alonso being given a bit of a pass based on the injury)
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Could a thumb injury slow down his swing enough to make him K-prone? I mean... that's the free pass you've been giving Alonso right?

(not that I disagree with Alonso being given a bit of a pass based on the injury)
    I haven't said anything about Alonso's bat slowing down. I said the only thing I am worried about is his plate discipline going the wrong direction. The power will be back.

With Heyward, I expect the power to be back too. The strikeouts were very high over the last month though and I don't think that the thumb has much to do with that. But nice try.

I haven't said anything about Alonso's bat slowing down. I said the only thing I am worried about is his plate discipline going the wrong direction. The power will be back.

With Heyward, I expect the power to be back too. The strikeouts were very high over the last month though and I don't think that the thumb has much to do with that. But nice try.
    Nice try? You don't think a guy having a thumb injury could slow his swing down enough that he would strike out at a higher rate? Especially a guy that has shown a propensity to not strike out at all levels?

I'll disagree...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Nice try? You don't think a guy having a thumb injury could slow his swing down enough that he would strike out at a higher rate? Especially a guy that has shown a propensity to not strike out at all levels?

I'll disagree...
    Not really, no. I think it has a lot more to do with his pitch recognition given his contact rates on the pitches in June were worse across the board, but he saw big jumps on his swing and miss rate on both change ups and sliders. He made contact on over 90% of the fastballs he swung at in each month.

Not really, no. I think it has a lot more to do with his pitch recognition given his contact rates on the pitches in June were worse across the board, but he saw big jumps on his swing and miss rate on both change ups and sliders. He made contact on over 90% of the fastballs he swung at in each month.

Which is pure supposition... I could just as easily suggest that due to thumb problems he had issues adjust to offspeed pitches where he was once able to make contact...

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Frankie Piliere of AOL Fanhouse has Aroldis Chapman as the #3 prospect in all of baseball.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/01/r...pects-of-2010/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Heyward has a huge May. His BABIP was .342 for that month and his BA was something like 100 points higher for the rest of his year.

I think there is a strong chance that he just had a good month with a little bit of luck added in.

In April he was on pace to strike out 200 times
    His May K rate would have him only striking out 63 times over a full season
    His June was back over 200 times.

Not saying the guy isnt talented but there is more proof that he had a huge month that boosted his stats than the injury had much to do with it. Is he a .600 OPS bat in June with out the injury? Probably not, but is he the 1.000 OPS bat he was in May? Less likely.

Turn Off Ads?