Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Reds v. Phillips 6.29

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds v. Phillips 6.29

Quote Originally Posted by Reds42MLB View Post
    Should have Stubbs have caught that ball, YES. Do I blame him for pulling up slightly at the wall, NO. I used to play CF and I've ran full speed into the fence trying to catch a ball. It ended up barely clearing the fence for a HR (I nailed the wall right as I put my glove up and it went right over top of my glove ~ according to spectators), but at the time I didn't care or even think about the fence. Is that the right attitude in that situation? Should I be commended for going all out? Needless to say I was lucky to not be injured, and walk away from it.

I understand he is getting paid a lot of $$$ to make catches like that and put his body on the line, but when you are running full speed at an object that isn't going to give way if you hit it and you see it out of the corner of your eye... the human mind is going to act accordingly more often than not. In my situation I never saw the fence.

I wish he would have caught it, but I don't blame Stubbs in the least bit for pulling up in the slightest right before he hit the wall. It happens to the best of them. It still wasn't the easiest catch. He was trying to stop while he caught it.
    There's alot of blame to go round.

1. Ump squeezed Leake's strike zone all night. Didn't squeeze Blanton's. Leake got lit up.
    2. I thought Nix should have caught that ball off the wall in the late innings that Howard hit. Would have taken a great play, but he was there and just threw his glove at it in a weak attempt.
    3. Rhodes got lit up. Can't blame Arthur. He has had a great run and was due.
    4. I thought Stubbs should have caught Ibanez' double.
    5. Batting Leake instead of Rolen when we're rallying was a Dusty mistake. Just stupid.

Plenty of blame to go round.

Leake got squeezed. Rhodes was due for a bad outing. Stubbs isn't the defensive outfielder he's made out to be. And Dusty pulled a Dusty during an offensive rally.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds v. Phillips 6.29

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video...77984&c_id=cin

There is the play Stubbs supposedly should have made. He barely got there. He probably should have caught it, but I really really really doubt many people even make it that close. He probably would have looked better if he didnt get there and dove and completely missed it.

Turn Off Ads?