Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the cavalry push us past the Cards this year?

Can the cavalry push us past the Cards this year?

The current team has several injured players coming back to Cincinnati at some point: Volquez, Hanigan, Dickerson, Burton, Bailey & Bray (just arrived). We also have Chapman coming to the bullpen for the 2nd half and possibly Wood taking Lecure's place. Thats a lot of talent (if healthy) being added to the team. Typically when a lot of guys go down a team will fall way back in the standings. By the time the injured players return the season is lost. Yet this year the Reds have not only stayed close they are in 1rst place.

Adding a TOR starter or solid shortstop would really help the Reds. Really. Like a lot. Yet this would likely require not only talent but money. The money could be what prevents Walt from making a big trade.

So, if the team is unable to make a big trade do you think the calvary will be enough to push us past the Cards as they stand? What if the Cards are the ones to pull off a deal for Haren or Lee? Would the calvary be enough then?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can the calvary push us past the Cards this year?

Unless I missed something, we are already past the Cards.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Unless I missed something, we are already past the Cards.
    We are 1/2 game up with 83 games left to play. The Reds haven't finished ahead of the Cards since 1999. The Cards won the division in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2009. when i say 'push us past the Cards' i mean in the final standings.

Not for nothing but I think it's "cavalry" that we're looking for.

"Calvary" is something altogether different. Although in years past, it might take such divine implications to get the team past a division rival.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Lt Col George Armstrong Custer and his 7th Cavalary to the rescue!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

I heard on the radio last night (or maybe TV) that this is the latest the Reds have been in 1st place since 1999.

I can see this team making the playoffs with the guys they have on the 40 man roster as it stands now. Not very deep in the playoffs, but at least make the post-season.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Not for nothing but I think it's "cavalry" that we're looking for.

"Calvary" is something altogether different. Although in years past, it might take such divine implications to get the team past a division rival.
    oops. you are correct. Cavalry or Calvary. Doesn't matter to me just as long as we end up in 1rst place.

I think it depends on several factors. If the Cards remain healthy and add a Cliff Lee or Dan Haren, it's going to be one hell of a challenge. If the Cards do nothing but make some minor moves, and the Reds are able to pull off a decent trade on top of the youngsters coming up.... well, I don't want to talk about it for fear of jinxing it .

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I heard on the radio last night (or maybe TV) that this is the latest the Reds have been in 1st place since 1999.

I can see this team making the playoffs with the guys they have on the 40 man roster as it stands now. Not very deep in the playoffs, but at least make the post-season.
    To go deep into the playoffs one only needs to make the playoffs.

Lots of upsets in short series in baseball.

It's practically the norm.

Jeff Weaver - 2006 St. Louis

Anything can happen.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Re: Can the cavalry push us past the Cards this year?

Cardinals pitching hasn't been the main problem this year. Their team BA is 17th (.258), thier SLG is 13th (.408), OPS is 15th (.739), Runs scored is 19th (332), 19th in RBI's (315), 17th in SB's. (44) This after Holliday's tear.

Only 8 teams have committed more errors that the Cards (53) and only 2 of which have winning records. (Atl, LAD) Their fielding % rates 17th in all of Baseball. (.982)

To say the least even with Pujols and Holliday their offense is Below Avg at best.

Their pitching however rates 2nd in all of baseball with a 3.29 ERA. Giving up the 3rd fewest runs in baseball. (281)

Acquiring Haren or Lee might be a slight upgrade to their pitching staff. But unless they can hit or field 6 games a week, the problems they have are going to keep them from winning. Pitch around Albert, catch Holliday in a funk they can't score...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

This statement is true by the scantest of margins. In 2006, the Reds and Cardinals were in a virtual tie for first on August 24. The Reds were 67-61 and the Cards were 66-60. That record also led the wild card race. I remember it well because following the comeback win against the Giants that day my son turned to me and asked who I thought we would play in the playoffs. The Reds then completed the west coast trip by losing the next six games. They finished third that year, 80-82.

Pythagoras would not have been as optimistic as I on that August day as the Reds were -9. This current team is much better, deeper, and more resilient than that one.

[QUOTE=nemesis;2135215]Cardinals pitching hasn't been the main problem this year. Their team BA is 17th (.258), thier SLG is 13th (.408), OPS is 15th (.739), Runs scored is 19th (332), 19th in RBI's (315), 17th in SB's. (44) This after Holliday's tear.

To say the least even with Pujols and Holliday their offense is Below Avg at best.

QUOTE]

Once they hired their new hitting coach, the baseball gods took over.
    Win the Division

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think we have a reasonable chance at this thing without the cavalry. Considering the quality of talent we have coming, I'd say absolutely, it's possible.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?