Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rays Designate Hank Blalock For Assignment

Rays Designate Hank Blalock For Assignment

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Rays Designate Hank Blalock For Assignment
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 29 at 10:02pm CST]
    The Rays designated Hank Blalock for assignment, according to the Tampa Tribune (via Twitter). Gabe Kapler returns from the disabled list tomorrow, so the Rays can afford to part with Blalock. They promoted him in mid-May, just as Pat Burrell's disappointing stint in Tampa was coming to an end. But after tearing through Triple A pitching early on in the season, Blalock hit just one homer and posted a .254/.319/.349 line in the majors.

Blalock, 29, signed a minor league deal with the Rays in March. He makes $925K plus incentives, but even at that salary, it would be a surprise to see a team claim him. Instead, Blalock could be traded or released within the next ten days.

The White Sox have been relying on Mark Kotsay to DH and could use depth at third. Blalock could be a consideration, but he may not be the answer since he has hit righties better than lefties in his career, much like Kotsay. The Twins could look to improve over Danny Valencia and the Angels could use corner infielders, but there's no guarantee either team believes in Blalock's bat or his ability to defend. Blalock was mostly a DH for the Rays, though he did appear at first, third and in right.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rays Designate Hank Blalock For Assignment

Should the Reds consider claiming Blalock? Would he help the Bench?

Miguel Cairo has outplayed him this year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Can only play 1B and 3B. Really a liability at 3B at this point in his career.

His best years are long behind him.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Probably not going to be the popular opinion here but I'd like to see the Reds go after Blalock.Rolen has quickly become one of my favorite Reds but I'm still a bit worried that injuries could be an issue at some point this year.I'd really like Blalock as a backup plan even if his defense is terrible.He would be much better then any other options the Reds currently have if Rolen had to miss some time.He'd also be a decent guy to fill in for Votto and a nice PH bat off the bench in games he doesn't start.He'd be a clear upgrade over Cairo imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Probably not going to be the popular opinion here but I'd like to see the Reds go after Blalock.Rolen has quickly become one of my favorite Reds but I'm still a bit worried that injuries could be an issue at some point this year.I'd really like Blalock as a backup plan even if his defense is terrible.He would be much better then any other options the Reds currently have if Rolen had to miss some time.He'd also be a decent guy to fill in for Votto and a nice PH bat off the bench in games he doesn't start.He'd be a clear upgrade over Cairo imo.
    I'm with you. He would be a nice insurance plan.

Turn Off Ads?