Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

  1. #1
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    [QUOTE]I was trying to save Scottie because I knew they were going to use (J.C.) Romero at some point in time. I know how Charlie (Manuel’s) been using his bullpen. I know he’s been stretching his starters to not go to his bullpen.

    “Plus, that fact (Leake) can hit. Why would I waste Scott Rolen, my top pinch-hitter, in the sixth inning when I still have three innings to go?

    “If Ramon had walked or just hit a single, then it’s a different situation. The fact that first base was open he wasn’t going to throw Scottie anything. I wouldn’t throw Scottie anything.
    [QUOTE]


    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...plains-why-he-
    let-leake-hit/


    Man... I swear he is dead set against letting his players walk. Freaking basecloggers. What would have been wrong with letting another player reach base? Isn't that the whole reason you send players to the plate? So would he have been upset if Rolen had walked on his own merit?

    Rolen walking would have, turned the line up over, got the top of the order additional AB's and brought Phillips to bat with 2 on. Phillips singled to start the 7th BTW. Phillips is an RBI man according to Dusty, why wouldn't he want him AB with 2 on?

    I swear Dusty out thinks himself. Bakermetrics at it's finest. I know he has done an overall decent job this year, but not to use Nix at least is just silly.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,475

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Leake was 11-for-28 so far this season at the time he was allowed to hit. That's enough confidence for me not to use a pinch hitter.
    Last edited by Brutus; 06-30-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,636

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    I thought it was absolutely the right move.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  5. #4
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I was trying to save Scottie because I knew they were going to use (J.C.) Romero at some point in time. I know how Charlie (Manuel’s) been using his bullpen. I know he’s been stretching his starters to not go to his bullpen.

    “Plus, that fact (Leake) can hit. Why would I waste Scott Rolen, my top pinch-hitter, in the sixth inning when I still have three innings to go?

    “If Ramon had walked or just hit a single, then it’s a different situation. The fact that first base was open he wasn’t going to throw Scottie anything. I wouldn’t throw Scottie anything.



    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...plains-why-he-
    let-leake-hit/


    Man... I swear he is dead set against letting his players walk. Freaking basecloggers. What would have been wrong with letting another player reach base? Isn't that the whole reason you send players to the plate? So would he have been upset if Rolen had walked on his own merit?

    Rolen walking would have, turned the line up over, got the top of the order additional AB's and brought Phillips to bat with 2 on. Phillips singled to start the 7th BTW. Phillips is an RBI man according to Dusty, why wouldn't he want him AB with 2 on?

    I swear Dusty out thinks himself. Bakermetrics at it's finest. I know he has done an overall decent job this year, but not to use Nix at least is just silly.
    Huh???? It makes perfect sense. You don't want to use your best PH in a low leverage situation.

    I have no issue with him allowing Leake to hit. Leake has proven himself to be a pretty decent hitter. Some people just disagree with everything that Dusty does.

  6. #5
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    I don't disagree with everything Dusty does. I think he dies a "decent" job most the time. There is no such thing as a low leverage situation. Any runs you can get at any point in the game is a high leverage situation. Especially when you are losing. You need base runners. I don't care that Leake is hitting .379, he is still a pitcher. Leake hasn't been used as a pinch hitter all year, why would you leave him in in a situation? You have a bench for a reason.

    I have said it before and I'll say it again, he manages for the what if vs the what's now. So Leake got an extra AB and Rolen didn't even get one in a tight game. Does that strike you as right?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,636

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I have said it before and I'll say it again, he manages for the what if vs the what's now. So Leake got an extra AB and Rolen didn't even get one in a tight game. Does that strike you as right?
    So you think it would have been a smart move to use your biggest bullet off the bench in a situation where he would not have been pitched to? In the sixth inning to boot.

    Had he allowed Rolen to go to the plate in that situation, I think that would have been bad managing.

    I've got more confidence in Mike Leake getting a base knock than I do Paul Janish, Laynce Nix, Corky Miller or anyone else on the bench right now.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  8. #7
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    So you think it would have been a smart move to use your biggest bullet off the bench in a situation where he would not have been pitched to? In the sixth inning to boot.

    Had he allowed Rolen to go to the plate in that situation, I think that would have been bad managing.

    I've got more confidence in Mike Leake getting a base knock than I do Paul Janish, Laynce Nix, Corky Miller or anyone else on the bench right now.
    If Rolen isn't pitched to, it brings Phillips to the plate with two runners on base. I'd say that's a very positive outcome for the situation.

    Dusty's line of reasoning, as is typical, comes from a myopic perspective in which he pursues a single, specific outcome, rather than the best set of possible outcomes.

    Did Rolen end up getting to hit against JC Romero with runners on base?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  9. #8
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If Rolen isn't pitched to, it brings Phillips to the plate with two runners on base. I'd say that's a very positive outcome for the situation.

    Dusty's line of reasoning, as is typical, comes from a myopic perspective in which he pursues a single, specific outcome, rather than the best set of possible outcomes.

    Did Rolen end up getting to hit against JC Romero with runners on base?
    Philiips with runners on first and second is a double play waiting to happen, or at least a force at three bases.

    Besides, it's all about leverage. A higher leverage situation to use Rolen did not present itself later in the game but that doesn't mean that this one in the sixth was high enough to warrant wasting Rolen. Odds were high that a higher leverage situation would have presented itself over the next 3 innings.

    And yes, sending Rolen up to walk in that situation is wasting him. He will get one shot to affect the outcome of this game with his power. Sending him up knowing he will walk is a waste of your best power bullet. The fact that everyone knows that the Phillies would wallk Rolen in that situation says it all. They probably don't walk Nix or Cairo or nearly anyone else in the Reds lineup.

    If I have a bat like Rolen on the bench, I absolutely don't waste in a spot where I know he will be walked. It's a waste of my best bullet, and weakens my bench for a higher leverage situation that most likely will occur later in the game.
    Last edited by TheNext44; 06-30-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  10. #9
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,025

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Right or wrong, I didn't like the move. And despite what even a Paul Janish is hitting and what Mike Leake is hitting, I think Janish is a better hitter--along with anyone on our bench over any pitcher we employ on our roster.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

  11. #10
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Philiips with runners on first and second is a double play waiting to happen, or at least a force at three bases.
    There were 2 outs. A double play doesn't matter. Getting a good hitter to the plate with runners on base does.
    Besides, it's all about leverage. A higher leverage situation to use Rolen did not present itself later in the game but that doesn't mean that this one in the sixth was high enough to warrant wasting Rolen. Odds were high that a higher leverage situation would have presented itself over the next 3 innings.

    And yes, sending Rolen up to walk in that situation is wasting him. He will get one shot to affect the outcome of this game with his power. Sending him up knowing he will walk is a waste of your best power bullet. The fact that everyone knows that the Phillies would wallk Rolen in that situation says it all. They probably don't walk Nix or Cairo or nearly anyone else in the Reds lineup.
    I agree, it's about it leverage. How likely was is that the next time a crappy hitter came up that there would be a runner on 2B? Using him is not wasting him; It's using him. The leverage index of that situation was 1.13. The next time the pitcher's spot came up, the leverage index was 0.50. Who else are you going to PH Rolen for?

    You say that Rolen is only going to get 1 chance to impact the game with his power, well guess what? He got 0 chances. The walk was not a sure thing and even if it was, there is significant value in getting Phillips to the plate there rather than letting Leake hit.

    If I have a bat like Rolen on the bench, I absolutely don't waste in a spot where I know he will be walked. It's a waste of my best bullet, and weakens my bench for a higher leverage situation that most likely will occur later in the game.
    I think you greatly overestimate the likelihood that a higher leverage situation will not just occur, but that it will occur when the PH represents such a significant improvement.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01006290.shtml

    You talking about wasting a bullet. Well Nix PH for Heisey in the 8th and then Stubbs PH for Smith in the 9th. You never fired that bullet; you got gunned down with that bullet in the chamber.

    You never know if you're going to get a better shot. When you have a good one, you take it and let the chips fall where they may. We were down 3 runs and needed base-runners. If PHing Rolen guaranteed another runner on base and Phillips batting instead of Leake, I'll take that upgrade 8 days a week. And if it means Rolen hitting instead of Leake, I'll take that upgrade too.

    Which is worse?
    a) Using Rolen there and then not having him later when another opportunity comes up
    b) Letting Leake hit for himself and not using Rolen at all

    I say b is worse considering you know 100% that you have this opportunity and the better one is not even close to guaranteed. That possible opportunity needs be either MUCH better or very likely -- and it was neither. Besides, Rolen isn't your only bullet. Use Stubbs instead and get more benefit from the defensive upgrade to boot.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-30-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  12. #11
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There were 2 outs. A double play doesn't matter. Getting a good hitter to the plate with runners on base does.


    I agree, it's about it leverage. How likely was is that the next time a crappy hitter came up that there would be a runner on 2B? Using him is not wasting him; It's using him. The leverage index of that situation was 1.13. The next time the pitcher's spot came up, the leverage index was 0.50. Who else are you going to PH Rolen for?

    You say that Rolen is only going to get 1 chance to impact the game with his power, well guess what? He got 0 chances. The walk was not a sure thing and even if it was, there is significant value in getting Phillips to the plate there rather than letting Leake hit.



    I think you greatly overestimate the likelihood that a higher leverage situation will not just occur, but that it will occur when the PH represents such a significant improvement.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01006290.shtml

    You talking about wasting a bullet. Well Nix PH for Heisey in the 8th and then Stubbs PH for Smith in the 9th. You never fired that bullet; you got gunned down with that bullet in the chamber.

    You never know if you're going to get a better shot. When you have a good one, you take it and let the chips fall where they may. We were down 3 runs and needed base-runners. If PHing Rolen guaranteed another runner on base and Phillips batting instead of Leake, I'll take that upgrade 8 days a week. And if it means Rolen hitting instead of Leake, I'll take that upgrade too.

    Which is worse?
    a) Using Rolen there and then not having him later when another opportunity comes up
    b) Letting Leake hit for himself and not using Rolen at all

    I say b is worse considering you know 100% that you have this opportunity and the better one is not even close to guaranteed. That possible opportunity needs be either MUCH better or very likely -- and it was neither. Besides, Rolen isn't your only bullet. Use Stubbs instead and get more benefit from the defensive upgrade to boot.
    It was the 6th inning! The Reds were just unlucky that the highest leverage situation occurred in the 6th inning. Most of the time, especially being three runs down, there will be higher leverage situations to use Rolen. And Rolen is such an impact bat, that he should have been used, situation permiting, to hit for any hitter other than Votto, Phillips or Bruce.

    Not only was there no way to predict that this woud have been the highest leverage position, the odds are high that there would have been another higher lever situation in the next three innings. A situation where Rolen's power could have tied the game or put them in the lead. Now that situation did happen, only Votto was batting, so no need to use Rolen there.

    You always say that when Dusty bunts where the odds say he shouldn't and he ends up scoring runs, that we shouldn't reward him for making "hitting on a 17 and getting a 4." Well, he shouldn't be penalized because he made a high percentage move (wait for a higher leverage situation to use Rolen) that didn't pay off.

    Dusty played the percentage right there, they just didn't pay off.

    BTW, I have a feeling that if he did hit Rolen there, and he walked, that just as many, if different, posters would have been all over him for wasting Rolen's power there.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  13. #12
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,796

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Its kinda like saving your closer for the 9th inning. Sure the argument is there that a closer should go in earlier if necessary...but thats not the way things work. Wrong decision?...debatable. Is Dusty an idiot for doing it?...absolutely not.

  14. #13
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Its kinda like saving your closer for the 9th inning. Sure the argument is there that a closer should go in earlier if necessary...but thats not the way things work. Wrong decision?...debatable. Is Dusty an idiot for doing it?...absolutely not.
    Why is the choice "Dusty is an idiot" vs. "Dusty was right" instead of "Dusty could've made a better move and here's my reason for thinking that" vs. "Dusty was right?"
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  15. #14
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,796

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Why is the choice "Dusty is an idiot" vs. "Dusty was right" instead of "Dusty could've made a better move and here's my reason for thinking that" vs. "Dusty was right?"
    I hear you. Ask the guy talking about Bakermetrics and who called the move silly.

  16. #15
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Baker on Leake Hitting for himself...

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Its kinda like saving your closer for the 9th inning. Sure the argument is there that a closer should go in earlier if necessary...but thats not the way things work. Wrong decision?...debatable. Is Dusty an idiot for doing it?...absolutely not.
    That's a great way of looking at it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25