Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds do want Cliff Lee

Reds do want Cliff Lee

Just watching MLB Tonight and Peter and Barry talking about Lee to the Reds again and Peter said that he's thought the Reds were a sleeper for Lee and that he talked to someone with the Reds today and they told him " you're not dreaming thats who we want "

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds do want Cliff Lee

Who wouldn't want Lee? The question is what do they want for him and is it worth just a 3-4 month rental because that is all it will be.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Alonso is thought, by outsiders at least, to be expendable because he's blocked positionally in the bigs.

Do something like Alonso, Mesoraco, Wood, and Duran or Rodriguez.

That should be more than enough, and completely worth it.

Then package Frazier, Maloney, and Heisey for a reliever and we're in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post

that would be such a bad trade for the Reds.

both of those would be terrible

but the first is what it's going to take to get lee.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    both of those would be terrible

but the first is what it's going to take to get lee.
    What Ive been reading is that the last two times that Lee was traded, no top prospects were included and that for two months of a rental, Seattle is not going to be able to demand several, let alone one top prospect. I think Alonso and some Class A or AA guy could do it.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post

Then package Frazier, Maloney, and Heisey for a reliever and we're in the postseason.
    Seriously? That leaves no room for error/injuries for the next 5 years. These proposals are just simply laughable.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    What Ive been reading is that the last two times that Lee was traded, no top prospects were included and that for two months of a rental, Seattle is not going to be able to demand several, let alone one top prospect. I think Alonso and some Class A or AA guy could do it.
    Nobody can really figure out what the Indians were thinking in that trade of Lee to Philly. That was the only time he's been traded other than when he was a prospect in the big trade of Phillips/Sizemore/Lee for colon. I hope you are right, but I'm about certain there are way too many teams out there for his value to be that low. I don't even think Alonso and Bailey/Wood would get it done.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I have no problem trading Yonder Alonso and Mesoraco for Cliff Lee. Grandal will probably move past Mesoraco at some point. That's why I think the Reds drafted him. Yonder has no position and is blocked from the Reds major league team.

I'm not crazy about trading Travis Wood though.

Not so sure how much value Alonso has right now considering he's batting around .220.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I have no problem trading Yonder Alonso and Mesoraco for Cliff Lee. Grandal will probably move past Mesoraco at some point. That's why I think the Reds drafted him. Yonder has no position and is blocked from the Reds major league team.

I'm not crazy about trading Travis Wood though.

Not so sure how much value Alonso has right now considering he's batting around .220.
    The Reds would be foolish to trade Wood at this point. Wood has a lot of potential. He's never had an opportunity to pitch at the next level. Give the kid a chance to show his stuff in the bigs. I'm very interested in seeing what he can do in his upcoming start. He reminds me of John Tudor from 'back when' if anyone remembers him.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

It is OK to try to win now you know... trading away a few prospects for a guy that you KNOW will get you not only in, but FAR in, the playoffs right now is well worth it in my mind. the Reds are stacked with potential down on the farm, and it would be OK if the Reds decided to get super strong now and start a winning tradition that the younger guys can look forward to.

Alonso is not going to help the team anytime soon...I hate to say it, but he is very positioned locked down and he deserves better and a chance. help him and yourself and trade for LEE!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Peter gammons was referring to yonder alonso as yonder alfonso lol

Peter Gammons ain't the same guy he used to be for sure.

Regarding Alonso, I agree he really doesn't have a spot here beyond where he is now for the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    that would be such a bad trade for the Reds.
    That could be similar to the Expos trading Phillips, Sizemore, Lee...which would be just plain awful.

Turn Off Ads?