Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Boxberger to Carolina

Boxberger to Carolina

Don't know what's up with Carroll.

The Cincinnati Reds have made a pair of player moves impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to tonight's game at Tennessee.

RHP Brad Boxberger has been promoted to the Mudcats, and will be in uniform tonight in the Carolina bullpen. Boxberger, a Carolina League All-Star, was 4-6 and held an ERA of 3.19 of 13 starts and one relief appearance for the Lynchburg Hillcats. Boxberger, in his first professional season, was a supplemental first round pick of the Reds last June from Southern Cal.

To create room on the active roster, RHP Scott Carroll has been placed on the temporary inactive list. Carroll authored his first career complete game last night in a 2-1 loss to Tennessee.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boxberger to Carolina

Also, can anyone comment on why Carroll's K/9 has nosedived? He's getting people out at AA, but it does not bode well for success at higher levels.

I'm guessing that the Reds want to move Boxberger, who is a strikeout pitcher, into contention for a bull pen spot before season's end.

Very peculiar concerning Carroll. Wasn't he suspended a year or two ago?

Not peculiar at all about Carroll. They make people temporarily inactive all the time. Carroll is not a strikeout guy. He's a groundball pitcher.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Carroll likely went on the temporary list because he is the last guy they need right now as he isn't going to be used for 4 full days no matter what. Just a way to get an extra guy on the roster. Nothing more and nothing less.

Any word on whether Boxberger is going to be a full-time bullpen guy going forward?

I really hope he isn't.
    Go BLUE!!!

Resident PED Expert

With the Release of Lil Harang, does that create a spot for Carroll?

Boxberger is struggling here in Carolina (understatement). Through an inquiry to someone that would know, I am told the Reds see him in a relief role in Carolina. They are trying to limit his innings pitched bacause of his fairly limited time in professional ball. Also from someone closer to he team than myself, the impression is that he doesn't seem to be throwing as hard as he had previously in the minors. I, like everyone else I guess, saw him as a starter here. We'll see if there is improvement but his ERA now is pushing 17.00.

his M.O. was that he tires easily, so fatigue could be the main problem

It seems a bit early to limit his innings, doesn't it? I would've kept him in A+ a bit longer too, but that's just me.

He could be fatigued or maybe have an injury.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He isn't throwing as hard as he has been. I wonder if he is one of those guys who just can't get warm in the bullpen. He is getting rocked and he isn't throwing nearly as hard as he was as a starter.

Turn Off Ads?