Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the better prospect?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yasmani Grandal

8 10.26%
  • Devin Mesoraco

58 74.36%
  • Not sure

12 15.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better Prospects: Devin Mesoraco or Yasmani Grandal?

Re: Better Prospects: Devin Mesoraco or Yasmani Grandal?

I think Devin will be the better of the two but I'd love to see Yas signed. Mes and Yas would be a pretty good duo behind the plate IMO
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    This seems almost unfair for Grandal in that he has no chance of winning this poll. Few here have seen him as much as they may have seen Des in Dayton or spring training, plus as others have said, he's got legit minor league numbers, with a wooden bat and vs legit pitching and basestealing prospects in the minors, while Grandal's numbers come against inconsistant college pitching and inconsistant college base stealers, some legit prospects, some that will never sniff pro ball.

So a couple of questions. Is there a rough estimate on how Des' numbers this season would have transferred back to a high level college program like Miami? Or conversly, how Grandal's numbers would transfer to High A/AA ball? My gut says their numbers would be pretty similar, if not favoring Des though I don't believe its an exact science comparing a college metal bat to a pro ball wood bat. Wouldn't Des be a college junior this season had he gone the college route? Seems like they would have been picked around the same point had Des gone to college and put his translated numbers from this season in his junior year of college.

2) More importantly in my mind, if Des continues on the path he's set forth this season, what are the odds he breaks camp w/ the Reds next season? The safe path would seem to indicate that they pick up Ramon's option and go w/ the catching tandem they've used this year, w/ Des getting a full season in AAA. However, if Des can prove he belongs in the show, at least as a back up to Hannigan, perhaps in a similar role as hannigan and Ramon share this year, it could save the Reds a decent chunk of change, at least enough to help pick up some middle relief or pay Rhodes for 1 more season.
    I'd pretty much agree. I have no problem with the Reds current tandem for one more season with Mes getting a full year in AAA, although if Mes is adjusting nicely, I might consider him for Miller's role as injury replacement by the second half.

If they can come to terms with Grandal in time to get his feet wet at high A and holds his own., I might have him in AA by Mid-May/Early-June next year.

Mes' offense improvement is evident and I know he has done a better job of throwing out runners, but how are his receving and game-calling skills and how do Grandal's tools compare to his?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Grandal hasn't played a lick in professional baseball yet, so how can anyone know who will be better?

:thumbdown
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 07-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Grandal hasn't played a lick in professional baseball yet, so how can anyone know who will be better?

Even if Grandal has an OPS of 1.100 in AAA, it's still impossible to know that he'll be a better major leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

The same reason we think a player drafted 4th is going to be better than the guy drafted 44th. Educated guess based on performance and tools.

Turn Off Ads?