Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    The original version was only two seasons (12 episodes) and a holiday finale. The writers believed their characters would get stale if they kept it going. I think the US version went flat once they ran out of material to plagiarize.
    I think plagarizing is rather harsh since Gervais is an Exec Producer on the U.S. version. But I do agree the show has gotten stale. It's tough for a show to keep fresh after 4-5 years. Even the Jim/Dwight pranks would have got stale after a while. I don't think it's necessarily because Jim and Pam finally got together. They had many good episodes after they got together. I think they have ran out of stuff to write about that is funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think plagarizing is rather harsh since Gervais is an Exec Producer on the U.S. version. But I do agree the show has gotten stale. It's tough for a show to keep fresh after 4-5 years. Even the Jim/Dwight pranks would have got stale after a while. I don't think it's necessarily because Jim and Pam finally got together. They had many good episodes after they got together. I think they have ran out of stuff to write about that is funny.
    I guess "plagiarize" may be a trifle too strong. I didn't not know Gervais was a producer, but I do remember him half-heartedly promoting it when it launched. I do think the majority of what is funny came directly from the dynamics of the origional.

I'd like to see an esisode or two that takes place at a paper conference that includes cast of both series. That could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    In my opinion, he's not the biggest problem
    Thats what she said.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I like both versions, UK and US. But I agree, the US version has grown stale.

Not only is Gervais executive producer, but he has produced versions of the show for many other countries. I guess working for an idiot boss in an unfulfilling job is a universal truth.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I guess "plagiarize" may be a trifle too strong. I didn't not know Gervais was a producer, but I do remember him half-heartedly promoting it when it launched. I do think the majority of what is funny came directly from the dynamics of the origional.

I'd like to see an esisode or two that takes place at a paper conference that includes cast of both series. That could be interesting.
    I thought I heard something about Gervais doing a guest appearance on the show here in the U.S. I don't know if he's reprising David Brent but I thought I heard something about that a while back.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I like both versions, UK and US. But I agree, the US version has grown stale.

Not only is Gervais executive producer, but he has produced versions of the show for many other countries. I guess working for an idiot boss in an unfulfilling job is a universal truth.
    I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

Don't tell a Brit that though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I thought I heard something about Gervais doing a guest appearance on the show here in the U.S. I don't know if he's reprising David Brent but I thought I heard something about that a while back.
    Sorry for the double post all....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Gervais replaced Carell for one final season?

Episodes could center around things like how you can't understand half of what he says

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Sorry for the double post all....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Gervais replaced Carell for one final season?

Episodes could center around things like how you can't understand half of what he says
    Funny you should say that:

Could Ricky Gervais step in for the departing Steve Carell and save The Office?

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-...ve-the-office/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

A lot of hit shows in the 70s - All In The Family, Three's Company, Sanford & Son were developed from British shows.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

There was a great New York Times article a while back on the similarities and differences between the different versions of the Office.(At the time there were 4, English, French, German, and American I believe.)

I'll have to try and find that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    There was a great New York Times article a while back on the similarities and differences between the different versions of the Office.(At the time there were 4, English, French, German, and American I believe.)

I think I saw that. I think it said the American version is the only one where they actually do any work.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I own the British version on DVD and honestly, I simply do not find it funny in the slightest. I LOVE the US version.
    Same here. British life is so completely different than US, and thus the jokes are 100% different. It's really a completely different show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Thats what she said.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

A lot of hit shows in the 70s - All In The Family, Three's Company, Sanford & Son were developed from British shows.
    I can't wait for the US version of "When the Whistle Blows."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Thats what she said.
    Hear that one often my friend? :

Turn Off Ads?