Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

  1. #16
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,453

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    The original version was only two seasons (12 episodes) and a holiday finale. The writers believed their characters would get stale if they kept it going. I think the US version went flat once they ran out of material to plagiarize.
    I think plagarizing is rather harsh since Gervais is an Exec Producer on the U.S. version. But I do agree the show has gotten stale. It's tough for a show to keep fresh after 4-5 years. Even the Jim/Dwight pranks would have got stale after a while. I don't think it's necessarily because Jim and Pam finally got together. They had many good episodes after they got together. I think they have ran out of stuff to write about that is funny.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    599

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think plagarizing is rather harsh since Gervais is an Exec Producer on the U.S. version. But I do agree the show has gotten stale. It's tough for a show to keep fresh after 4-5 years. Even the Jim/Dwight pranks would have got stale after a while. I don't think it's necessarily because Jim and Pam finally got together. They had many good episodes after they got together. I think they have ran out of stuff to write about that is funny.
    I guess "plagiarize" may be a trifle too strong. I didn't not know Gervais was a producer, but I do remember him half-heartedly promoting it when it launched. I do think the majority of what is funny came directly from the dynamics of the origional.

    I'd like to see an esisode or two that takes place at a paper conference that includes cast of both series. That could be interesting.

  4. #18
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,993

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    In my opinion, he's not the biggest problem
    Thats what she said.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  5. #19
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    I like both versions, UK and US. But I agree, the US version has grown stale.

    Not only is Gervais executive producer, but he has produced versions of the show for many other countries. I guess working for an idiot boss in an unfulfilling job is a universal truth.

  6. #20
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,453

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I guess "plagiarize" may be a trifle too strong. I didn't not know Gervais was a producer, but I do remember him half-heartedly promoting it when it launched. I do think the majority of what is funny came directly from the dynamics of the origional.

    I'd like to see an esisode or two that takes place at a paper conference that includes cast of both series. That could be interesting.
    I thought I heard something about Gervais doing a guest appearance on the show here in the U.S. I don't know if he's reprising David Brent but I thought I heard something about that a while back.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  7. #21
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,371

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I like both versions, UK and US. But I agree, the US version has grown stale.

    Not only is Gervais executive producer, but he has produced versions of the show for many other countries. I guess working for an idiot boss in an unfulfilling job is a universal truth.
    I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

    Don't tell a Brit that though.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  8. #22
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,371

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought I heard something about Gervais doing a guest appearance on the show here in the U.S. I don't know if he's reprising David Brent but I thought I heard something about that a while back.
    Sorry for the double post all....

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if Gervais replaced Carell for one final season?

    Episodes could center around things like how you can't understand half of what he says

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  9. #23
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Sorry for the double post all....

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if Gervais replaced Carell for one final season?

    Episodes could center around things like how you can't understand half of what he says
    Funny you should say that:

    Could Ricky Gervais step in for the departing Steve Carell and save The Office?

    http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-...ve-the-office/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  10. #24
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,453

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

    Don't tell a Brit that though.
    A lot of hit shows in the 70s - All In The Family, Three's Company, Sanford & Son were developed from British shows.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,196

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

    Don't tell a Brit that though.
    There was a great New York Times article a while back on the similarities and differences between the different versions of the Office.(At the time there were 4, English, French, German, and American I believe.)

    I'll have to try and find that.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  12. #26
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,453

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    There was a great New York Times article a while back on the similarities and differences between the different versions of the Office.(At the time there were 4, English, French, German, and American I believe.)

    I'll have to try and find that.
    I think I saw that. I think it said the American version is the only one where they actually do any work.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I own the British version on DVD and honestly, I simply do not find it funny in the slightest. I LOVE the US version.
    Same here. British life is so completely different than US, and thus the jokes are 100% different. It's really a completely different show.

  14. #28
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,993

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'll have to try and find that.
    Thats what she said.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  15. #29
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    599

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    A lot of hit shows in the 70s - All In The Family, Three's Company, Sanford & Son were developed from British shows.
    I can't wait for the US version of "When the Whistle Blows."

  16. #30
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,502

    Re: Steve Carell Leaving The Office

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Thats what she said.
    Hear that one often my friend? :


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25