Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds hitting coach not doing his job

Reds hitting coach not doing his job

I am not sure if it's Jacoby or the philosophy of Dusty or the unwillingness of Drew Stubbs, but I can not believe that this kid is not bunting. With his speed, if he could master the art of bunt hit he could easily raise his batting average by 20-30pts and reduce his K's by about the same amount and be a better player.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Reds hitting coach not doing his job

I will say that I was surprised that Stubbs was not bunting over with Bruce on second and no outs.

Thom and Chris said it was because Miller and Woods where due up after him...which made no since to me
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I will say that I was surprised that Stubbs was not bunting over with Bruce on second and no outs.

Thom and Chris said it was because Miller and Woods where due up after him...which made no since to me
    Because neither Miller or Woods was likely to get a hit (even though Miller did). Dusty was thinking that he had a better chance of getting the run in with Stubbs swinging the bat rather than more than likely sacrifice Bruce to third.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    Because neither Miller or Woods was likely to get a hit (even though Miller did). Dusty was thinking that he had a better chance of getting the run in with Stubbs swinging the bat rather than more than likely sacrifice Bruce to third.
    Miller was not likely to get the ball in the air? IDK, I just found it strange.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

as good as Dusty has done this year, he still makes calls that just flat out have no reason to them....I am all for keeping a good thing going but I do not adhere to the advice of "dont fix if not broken"...Ihate that comment. It might noy be broke but it sure could work better.

Dusty makes at least 1-2 calls per week that should get him sat down and talked to..IMO. No reason at all to not bunt Drew Stubbs more often...the guy K's wayyyyyyyyyy more than any other Red, so why not allow the kid to get some confidence back and wreck havoc on the paths? I will tell you why, Dusty Baker. Why did Mike Leake bat instead of L Nix? Iwill tell you why, Dusty Baker? Mike L is hitting great but he also has had 9 "bloop" hits, most scouts and managers know the difference between a hit and a accident. Not saying Mike is not a great hitter for a pitcher.....but Nix or anyone not named "scotty" should have been put in to hit.....I could keep doing this all day..Dusty continues to prove to me why he gets so much heat even though we are in 1st place.

Please allow me to say that I am all for Dusty finishing the year and even further....the guy has a great rapport with the players and the media. but at some point he needs to be told or needs to be taught that even the great managers change their styles from time to time.....I remember Joe Torre once said that Sparky Anderson told him that as a manager you cannot rest on your beliefs, you must create new beliefs based on what you learn each and every game and if you dont learn something new every game then you are need to start. that was not word for word but it was close. and that theory is what the good managers go by.
    Give Dusty a chance to change, but he needs to realize that his coaching cost this team at least 3-5 wins each year he has been here.

and this is not the hitting coach's fault, it all rests on Dusty's shoulders.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Off topic, but why does everyone refer to Travis Wood as "Woods"?
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Turn Off Ads?