Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you still trade Travis Wood if you could get Cliff Lee or Dan Haren?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was just one start, and Haren and Lee are both proven.

30 38.96%
  • No, Wood is going to be a lefty stud the Reds can control for several years.

47 61.04%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody still want to include Wood in a trade?

Anybody still want to include Wood in a trade?

After watching Travis Wood today are there still people out there that would like to include him in a deal for Cliff Lee or Dan Haren? Wood just turned 23 in February, and gave Reds fans a glimpse today of what he's capable of. There is no way I would include him in a deal for either Lee or Haren? What say the rest of you?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Anybody still want to include Wood in a trade?

I was impressed with his outing today.

A rookie, first start, on the road in a hostile environment, against a lineup of some pretty good hitters whether they are producing right now or not.

Having said that. It is just one start.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I was impressed with his outing today.

A rookie, first start, on the road in a hostile environment, against a lineup of some pretty good hitters whether they are producing right now or not.

Having said that. It is just one start.

So your answer is? :

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm not ready to trade him quite yet. I'd like to see a few more starts out of him.

For Cliff Lee, definitely.

I would make the trade in a heartbeat. The M's want low-cost, high potential players for Lee. If you cannot part with any player with potential you are out of the running.

Yep. You have to give value to get value. I'd still trade him for Cliff Lee. I'd take something proven for potential. He gave a nice start today, but Lee is a given. We're a contending team at this point.

I don't give up young pitching of any type for a rental.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I don't give up young pitching of any type for a rental.
    Then you will not get a rental. The year picks you, you don't pick the year. If you have to over pay to get Lee or whoever then do it.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The Cubs have not been scoring runs and the wind was blowing in. For the right price, of course I trade him.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Hit trade value may never be higher than today. Great first start, but that does not mean he is the next Steve Carlton.

Great start today by Wood, but if I can flip him for Cliff Lee, I do it! The Reds have not been in the hunt for the playoffs in a long time anything within reason to push them over the top.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

I say no move yet. I am extremely proud of Travis' start today. This, and Leake's first start, were the only games of the year that I actually had my heart in. The LOB's for Cincy were a shame and made this game more interesting than it had to be.

All things considered, I'm very glad the Reds got this one.

It's a tough call for a team like the Reds. I voted no, but admittedly I may just be a little giddy after 1 start.

If you're the Yankees, of course you make that trade, because chances are you wind up signing Lee after the season anyway. Even if you don't, you still can go out and basically get whoever you want to fill that spot.

The Reds are in a position that I don't know that they've ever been in before in my years as a fan, and that is having a surplus of pitching that can contribute for the Reds or draw interest from other teams.I'm basically 34, btw, or I will be tomorrow, and I have considered myself to be a fan since 1986 or 1987. The organization really hasn't produced a bona fide successful starting pitcher in my mind going back to Tom Browning. Brett Tomko had a nice long career, but he was nothing special. Cueto could be on the verge, Leake has done nice things, Travis Wood just had a great start. Even LeCure gave a decent account of himself. Add in veterans like Harang, who hopefully has turned some sort of corner to at least be serviceable and Arroyo, plus Bailey, Volquez, and Chapman, and Maloney down in Louisville, and it's amazing how far we've come.

But the problem the Reds will have is can they continue it. Most of not all of us know full well the lean years we had, especially when it comes to pitching in our farm system. We remember the high draft picks, the first round picks on guys who were either ruined by injury (Howington and Gruler) or below average major leaguers (C.J. Nitkowski and Ryan Wagner). Wagner was of course well below average. Nitkowski as I recall had a nice moment or nice season or two. Unfortunately they weren't for the Reds. We remember the dumpster diving and reclamation projects, hoping that guys like Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Jimmy Anderson, Dave Williams, Jeff Austin (I think that was his name) could somehow be viable members of the starting rotation. It actually worked to some extent with Haynes (at least for 1 year) and Paul Wilson, although both fell off the cliff immediately and when they were done, they were well done.

The Reds aren't going to win many, or probably any bidding wars for top of the line free agent pitchers. The last one we got, as far as starting pitchers go, was Eric Milton, and we know what happened there. So if I'm the Reds, I'm not anxious to let go of promising young pitchers like Wood. Not unless I'm confident we've got the right people in our organization evaluating pitching prospects to where I feel confident that they can find some guys potentially as good or better in the following draft(s). If that's the case, then maybe you can take a chance dealing Wood or someone like that. I just don't want to see us go back to the lean years for 2 or 3 months of Cliff Lee. I mean, Wood might be a better fit in the rotation than Homer Bailey, you just don't know yet at this point.

wood was impressive no doubt, but i actually expected that. i mean he was toe to toe for the #5 spot in the rotation in ST. oh, and if trading him means cliff lee, yes, trade him

Turn Off Ads?