Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Padres looking for a bat

Padres looking for a bat

So mlbtraderumors says that the Pads are looking for a bat, LF among them, and have relievers to trade.

I wonder how they'd react to a Gomes for Mike Adams offer...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Padres looking for a bat

How would Redszone react to trading Gomes. He's been one of the biggest bats in the offense this season and trading him, especially to a team in the playoff race also, would possibly hurt the Reds more than help.

I wouldn't be against such a trade... Gomes has been pretty solid, but I keep waiting for the clock to strike midnight. They'll probably hold onto him and I say he'll be average the rest of the way, but I do wonder how getting Adams and moving Heisey to left would work out.

IMO trading Gomes would be a massive massive mistake. Clubhouse chemistry does matter & moving Gomes would destroy it. I realize the arguements against Gomes and/or for Heisey. I would be totally fine with getting a better LH bat than Nix/Dickerson to play some LF along with Gomes. However I would not trade Gomes after what he has done both between the lines & outside the lines this season.

SD would laugh, and if RZ didn't like the trade than they haven't paid attention to Mike Adams

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    SD would laugh, and if RZ didn't like the trade than they haven't paid attention to Mike Adams
    Or Jonny Gomes for that matter....

Redszone might or might not be ok with it but I can't imagine it would go over well in the Reds locker room.

I'd love to see the Reds get this guy, but like Gomes in Cincy, he has been too valuable to his team's success. Why rob Peter to pay Paul when you are in first place?

I believe Great American Ball Park might be the only place he has not pitched well this season.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

If the Reds were looking for a bat would they be trading Arthur Rhodes??

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I'd love to see the Reds get this guy, but like Gomes in Cincy, he has been too valuable to his team's success. Why rob Peter to pay Paul when you are in first place?
    Because it would make the team better?

Mike Adams is an absolute beast out of the pen in San Diego. If the Reds could get this deal, they would have to jump on it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or Jonny Gomes for that matter....
    He's basically been a replacement level bat in March/April and June which means given his defense, he's been a hemorrhaging ulcer outside of his hot streak in May...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Because it would make the team better?

Mike Adams is an absolute beast out of the pen in San Diego. If the Reds could get this deal, they would have to jump on it.
    Okay, I removed the phrases that must have confused you. The Padres are not likely to be trading a key component to their success to shore up a weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I'd love to see the Reds get this guy, but_____________, he has been too valuable to his team's success.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-01-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's basically been a replacement level bat in March/April and June which means given his defense, he's been a hemorrhaging ulcer outside of his hot streak in May...
    Yep. I don't see the Reds trading him though because of the clubhouse issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Okay, I removed the phrases that must have confused you. The Padres are not likely to be trading a key component to their success to shore up a weakness.
    Oh... sorry. I misread your post. We are indeed of a like mind on this issue. Sure would like to see the Reds get Mike Adams though!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

No matter how good, I don't like trading any real talent for a middle reliever. They should be available for B and C prospects all day, every day. If they are so valuable to their original team, that they want more for him, let them keep him. A middle reliever is never worth creating a whole somewhere else in your organization.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?