Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thursday, July 1, 2010 Minor League Updates

Re: Thursday, July 1, 2010 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Around here, yeah, but not on the national level. I don't see him getting a lot of hype from BA or BP or other prospect sites. A good defensive catcher OPSing over 1.000 at age 22 between High-A/Double-A is pretty amazing. If it lasts all season he should be a strong contender for the minor league player of the year.
    From a guy who was ranked the #30 prospect in the organization? Baseball America would crap themselves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Billy Hamilton is starting to hit in Billings. In his last four games he's 7-for-15 with two doubles, two walks, and two stolen bases.

Speaking of prospects starting to hit, Yonder Alonso has a seven game hitting streak, including back-to-back three hit games. He's 9 for his last 20 with three doubles. Hopefully he's starting to regain some of his strength in his wrist.

The starting pitchers on the Reds' rookie teams had quite a night. Carlos Contreras of the AZL Reds: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K.

That's on top of the ones already noted here. Abel De Los Santos (DSL): 5.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K; and Daniel Tuttle (Billings) 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K.

Combined, those three were: 17.2 IP, 10 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 21 K. Their ages, respectively, are 19, 18 and 19.

The kid for the VSL Reds wasn't so bad, either. Joyce Hernandez, age 17: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 3 K.

I love pitching.

Dude's name is Joyce?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    From a guy who was ranked the #30 prospect in the organization? Baseball America would crap themselves.
    Yeah, sadly I think some politics are involved here. BA does NOT like admitting major mistakes and this clearly looks like a glaring omission for them. My guess is next year, when the rankings come out, they'll have Mesoraco ranked super high and then start giving him more accolades.

I really hope the Reds do not part with Mesoraco if they were to trade for Lee. I simply think he is 1 of about 3 guys that I just wouldn't trade for a rental (the other 2 being Yorman and Aroldis).

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, sadly I think some politics are involved here. BA does NOT like admitting major mistakes and this clearly looks like a glaring omission for them. My guess is next year, when the rankings come out, they'll have Mesoraco ranked super high and then start giving him more accolades.

I really hope the Reds do not part with Mesoraco if they were to trade for Lee. I simply think he is 1 of about 3 guys that I just wouldn't trade for a rental (the other 2 being Yorman and Aroldis).
    I agree with you, fovp. Rentals, even those as good as Lee, make me a bit queasy. I would hate to lose any of those three. Now that Mesoraco is showing signs of really putting it together, I'd like to keep him around. And I know you're not supposed to "fall in love with prospects" (especially relievers), but I'd have a hrad time seeing them part with Joseph too.

If it were a TOR that the club controlled for at least another season or two, I would be less reticent, but for a two month rental? Not so much. I'd be willing to part with Alonzo, Francisco, Frazier, Heisey, Duran, Wood, LeCure, Maloney, Bailey or pretty much any other framhand.

Update on Yorman:

** Outfielder Yorman Rodriguez is expected to be in Friday's lineup, DeShields said. Rodriguez, who is the youngest player in the Pioneer League at 17, missed the last two games with sore ribs after running into teammate Jefry Sierra while chasing a pop up Tuesday night in Helena. Rodriguez has a team-high 14 RBIs and was leading the league as well going into Thursday's action.
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...medium=twitter

Thank you for the update on Yorman, as hoping it was nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Dude's name is Joyce?
    They also have a Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    They also have a Jean.
    Could be worse:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=469156

None of those will ever be as bad as Dick Pole.

Speaking of interesting names, this guy just reentered my memory (don't forget to check out his middle name, too):
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=monds-001won
    I believe this is his father:
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 07-02-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Oh yeah. I've had my eye on that guy. In fact, I pointed out his name to my wife last night.

Hildenbrandt only went 1.2. Hope that's not a sign of trouble.

Turn Off Ads?