Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76

Thread: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

  1. #61
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Well Hamilton has a Plus Plus glove and a Plus Arm for sure. He could be special. Like game changing at the top of the lineup Andrus special... That like 3 ESPN # 1 plays in 2 weeks.

    Lohman should be moved to 2B. Hamilton needs to get as many reps at SS as he can and his bat and defense would carry better there. If he ends up in Dayton next year with Yorman and crew I am getting Season tickets.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,190

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    That play was redic...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Well Hamilton has a Plus Plus glove and a Plus Arm for sure. He could be special.
    I'm not ready to fall in with that statement. Agreed, he has already shown he can make the spectacular play. He definitely has plus-plus tools. But to be a plus-plus defender, you have to be able to make the routine play with almost flawless regularity. Maybe Hamilton can do that, but a few sensational plays on a highlight reel don't prove it.

    That said, the thing I liked best about the pop-up catch was his quick throw to third base. That shows his awareness--something that Phillips has to an exceptional degree. It's a good sign.

  5. #64
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,110

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I'm not ready to fall in with that statement. Agreed, he has already shown he can make the spectacular play. He definitely has plus-plus tools. But to be a plus-plus defender, you have to be able to make the routine play with almost flawless regularity. Maybe Hamilton can do that, but a few sensational plays on a highlight reel don't prove it.

    That said, the thing I liked best about the pop-up catch was his quick throw to third base. That shows his awareness--something that Phillips has to an exceptional degree. It's a good sign.
    While we clearly don't have a ton to go on, Hamilton led the GCL in fielding percentage last season for shortstops and this season has .982 fielding percentage (1 error in 56 chances).

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While we clearly don't have a ton to go on, Hamilton led the GCL in fielding percentage last season for shortstops and this season has .982 fielding percentage (1 error in 56 chances).
    Good points. That's certainly promising. It clearly begs the question of why, with his range, he'd be moving to second base. But it's still too early in the game to get worked up over that.

  7. #66
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,110

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Good points. That's certainly promising. It clearly begs the question of why, with his range, he'd be moving to second base. But it's still too early in the game to get worked up over that.
    Probably because his timeline is longer than that of Lohman, so Lohman is getting the spot for now.

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,870

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chapman has 2 BB/11 K in 6.2 innings as a reliever.
    Hope we can move him back to the rotation soon his almost 6.75 era as a reliever isn't getting it done. He has given up runs in 3 out of 4 relief appearances. He needs to work on being stretched out and working on keeping his pitch count down, none which he can do in the bullpen.

  9. #68
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Hope we can move him back to the rotation soon his almost 6.75 era as a reliever isn't getting it done. He has given up runs in 3 out of 4 relief appearances. He needs to work on being stretched out and working on keeping his pitch count down, none which he can do in the bullpen.
    I'm not worried about his ERA. K/BB is more important to me. Louisville isn't exactly sending Gold Glovers out there every night. At least two of those runs have scored on defensive miscues, and another run scored after Jon Adkins allowed a two out hit. The one run he allowed last night came via two groundball singles.

    As a reliever, Chapman has a very low 11.1% LD rate and a 50% groundball rate to go along with a 2.45 BB/9 and 13.5 K/9. His ERA shouldn't be anywhere close to what it is.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-03-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  10. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    757

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Billy Hamilton can flat out play defense. Go watch the video.
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...tml?mode=video
    Thanks for the video!!!!

    Hamilton is a stud, hope to see him at Dayton next year along with several other of the young stars...

  11. #70
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Hamilton, drafted in the second round as a shortstop out of high school last year, is seeing some time at second base this season with the Mustangs. He played his fifth game there on Friday night, and turned in a couple highlight-worthy plays. I could explain them, but it'd be better to watch them ...

    What'd you think?

    For his part, Hamilton said he's enjoying second base, calling it his "second home."

    Manager Delino DeShields said the 19-year-old is a bit rough around the edges, but that should soon change.

    "He's very athletic," DeShields said. "Billy learns fast. If we get past what it looks like and just look at the results, I think he's going to be fine."
    http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...mustangsalley/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  12. #71
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm not worried about his ERA. K/BB is more important to me. Louisville isn't exactly sending Gold Glovers out there every night. At least two of those runs have scored on defensive miscues, and another run scored after Jon Adkins allowed a two out hit. The one run he allowed last night came via two groundball singles.

    As a reliever, Chapman has a very low 11.1% LD rate and a 50% groundball rate to go along with a 2.45 BB/9 and 13.5 K/9. His ERA shouldn't be anywhere close to what it is.
    You disregard his wild pitches and hit batsmen. The blame for Chapman's ERA falls squarely on Chapman. If you want to put any blame on Adkins, you have to consider why he replaced Chapman with runners on.

  13. #72
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    You disregard his wild pitches and hit batsmen. The blame for Chapman's ERA falls squarely on Chapman. If you want to put any blame on Adkins, you have to consider why he replaced Chapman with runners on.
    Not all of it. You can't blame him for bad defense and groundballs finding holes.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  14. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Its also been 6 innings so having 1 bad inning really screws up the 5 others.

  15. #74
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not all of it. You can't blame him for bad defense and groundballs finding holes.
    Yes I can. It happens to every pitcher. Just like good defense helps every pitcher. And with most pitchers, a runner on 1st because his groundball found a hole doesn't end up at 3rd because of a hit batter and a wild pitch.

  16. #75
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    "He's very athletic," DeShields said. "Billy learns fast. If we get past what it looks like and just look at the results, I think he's going to be fine."
    Hmm, sounds like the kid likes to look good 1st and make the play second. Not a bad thing if you can decide you don't look good if you don't make the play.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25