Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

Re: Friday July 2nd minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Valaika was just HBP with the bases loaded. He acted as if it didn't hit him. Bats down 2-1, bases loaded with no outs for Dorn.

Doug, haven't asked you about Valaika in a while.

With Phillips' great season this year, over in the SunDeck Valaika's getting no respect.

Had Phillips not had this great year Offensively with the bat, I don't think there was a question about the REDS letting him go after (or during) this season. But, now that he's shown a new "peak" at age 29, it's very likely for him to have another excellent year (for a 2nd Baseman) next season. I see the REDS picking up his option.

That doesn't change how I feel about Valaika. I've felt for the last two years that he would take over at 2nd Base for Brandon at the beginning of the 2011 season. Nothing Valaika has done has changed that idea. With Frazier taking a step back so far this season in AAA, Valaika's been steady as a rock. It won't hurt Valaika's growth to repeat AAA next season with a September call-up next in 2011. It should only make him more prepared to take over the REDS' 2nd Base job.

I don't see any money at the Major League level to spend on 2nd Base from 2012-2015 (the likely length of Brandon's next contract). With the REDS likely to be spending large money during the 2012-2015 seasons at RF (Bruce), CF/LF (Heisey/Stubbs), 1B (Votto), C (Mesoraco/Grandel), SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4 (Volquez/Cueto/Chapman/Bailey/Leake/Wood), and I may be leaving another position out, or some Veteran SS/3B/CL that Walt may decide to go after.

How do you see Valaika at this point as a Major Leaguer? I see him as a 10-year player with 6 seasons where he's hitting .290 or better while playing good defense at 2nd Base the entire time. For a 2nd Baseman for this team, I find that to be more than adequate.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am interested in where the power went for Valaika. I think the guy can be a major league second baseman, though he isn't someone I would be for sure about handing the job unless he shows some more pop. Whether its the hand injury from last year that has sapped some of it or something else, he needs to start hitting a few HR's.

Yonder Alonso just doubled off the big wall in Durham. Probably an out in most parks, but Durham plays much like Fenway, short distance with a big wall.

Thompson: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K

Felix Perez is now 2-for-2.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yonder Alonso just doubled off the big wall in Durham. Probably an out in most parks, but Durham plays much like Fenway, short distance with a big wall.
    The wall giveth and the wall taketh away. Zack Cozart just lined one off the wall way up near the top that would have been a HR in most other parks. Instead he settles for the double.

Looks like it might be a while before Hanigan gets any power. That's too bad as he really found his power stroke this off-season with that new approach at the plate.

Yonder Alonso just had a likely HR taken away by the wall too. Winds up with an RBI single off the wall (though Alonso got to second, since the fielder threw the ball to home, the scorer credits Alonso with a single).

Matt Klinker has given up 2 HRs to Dan Johnson today (he now has 20) and both are 2 run shots.

Yorman's ribs must still be sore. He's out of the lineup again tonight.

Billy Hamilton extends his hitting streak to five games with a first inning double.

Dominant inning out of relief for Chapman.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches/7 strikes

Yonder Alonso just hit a grand slam to the opposite field. Louisville extends their lead to 9-4.

Alonso is now 3-for-5 with a double, grand slam (HR #7), and 5 RBI. This is his third consecutive three hit game.

Chapman is back out there for a second inning. First batter grounded a single into RF. Next batter grounded into a FC, next batter struckout. Strikeout #3 for Chapman. 2 outs now.

Groundball RBI single off the glove of Alonso. Two groundball singles. Chapman's BABIP continues to rise.

Turn Off Ads?