Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips future with the Reds

Phillips future with the Reds

Brandon is having a great season with the Reds, but given the budget the Reds have, should the Reds look into trading Brandon in the offseason while he trade value will probably be at it's peak and look to add some depth and look to T. Frazier as our future 2nd basemen?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips future with the Reds

Why trade your best all around player over the last few seasons?

Simple, we always have to look at this team budget wise. You have to consider that BP is not going to continue to get better, and yet his pay is going to increase. Would it not be wise of the Reds to deal him when he has the biggest potential at bringing a good return? The Reds have X dollars to work with, and we know players like Votto and Bruce are going to require big money to get them locked in. We have 30 million sitting in AAA right now. You have to think the Reds will probably add a few years to Bronson to keep him around. If T. Frazier is ready to make the jump, why not look at the possibilities this offseason at what BP might bring.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Why trade your best all around player over the last few seasons?

The Reds have Arroyo, Harang and Cordero all coming off the budget in the next 2 years. Plus, Cueto, Bruce and Votto won't get really expensive for at least 2 years. I really don't understand people wanting to move phillips. It's like we have a good team, and people want to do everything to change it.

Phillips should be a red for at least 3 more years.

it would be terrible for the Reds to get rid of him, he may be our overall best player and has a swagger to him

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Brandon just turned 29 on June 28th. He is only signed through next season ('11) at $11.1M. He'll turn 30 during that season.

I'd offer him a 2-year $20M extension and see if he goes for it. Remind him that he's got a good team around him and see if he has any interest in a hometown discount. I'm sure he'll gripe about only 2 years though.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Phillips has a big future with the Reds, maybe 1 or 2 rings in the next 3 years
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Phillips has a big future with the Reds, maybe 1 or 2 rings in the next 3 years
    He's been the most consistent player every year for the last 5 years.

They need him here next year for the stability. I'd let Valaika take his place after that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Brandon just turned 29 on June 28th. He is only signed through next season ('11) at $11.1M. He'll turn 30 during that season.

I'd offer him a 2-year $20M extension and see if he goes for it. Remind him that he's got a good team around him and see if he has any interest in a hometown discount. I'm sure he'll gripe about only 2 years though.
    I'd be willing to wait on Valaika if Phillips was willing to take that. But, beyond that, it just doesn't make sense.

Why? I offer him a three year deal. I try and sign both Bruce and Votto to backloaded deals, offering them security while also buying out 1-2 years of free agency. To me the finances would work out fine, and give the Reds about a 4 year window after this year.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I agree with Neil, Phillips deserves to stay with this team well into the future, why throw him away, he has been a great player for us.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'd be willing to wait on Valaika if Phillips was willing to take that. But, beyond that, it just doesn't make sense.
    No offense but I have no hope for Valaika. He is a singles hitter and average defensive second baseman.

Valaika <<<<<<<<<< Phillips

Phillips has speed and power, and is proven. Gold Glove 2Baseman.

Phillips may have found his niche this year as a leadoff hitter.

The Reds have roughly 37 million coming off the books in Harang, Arroyo and Cordero

Rolen will make roughly the same for the next 2 years
    If they sign Bruce to about a 5-6 year deal for around 35-40 million, and backload the last 2 years to be around 8-9 million
    If they sign Votto for around 5 years for about 60 million
    They can probably re-up Cueto for about 4 years at about 25 million, backloaded

In this scenerio by the time in 3 years when Bruce and Votto become more expensive, that's when Phillips is gone, as he hits 32 in his final season.

Plus, I absolutly believe if the Reds continue to contend attendance will shoot up, especially next year. I could see an extra 10 or so million for players.

I absolutly believe that is a fairly realistic scenerio.

I agree Harang is coming off the books and at the end of his deal so will Co-Co, but I believe and hope the Reds ink Bronson to say another 2-3 years at somewhere between 7-9 million per year. We MUST have some veteran leadership in a staff of very young pitchers. Bronson is a innings eater and more times then not keeps your team in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The Reds have roughly 37 million coming off the books in Harang, Arroyo and Cordero

Rolen will make roughly the same for the next 2 years
    If they sign Bruce to about a 5-6 year deal for around 35-40 million, and backload the last 2 years to be around 8-9 million
    If they sign Votto for around 5 years for about 60 million
    They can probably re-up Cueto for about 4 years at about 25 million, backloaded

In this scenerio by the time in 3 years when Bruce and Votto become more expensive, that's when Phillips is gone, as he hits 32 in his final season.

Plus, I absolutly believe if the Reds continue to contend attendance will shoot up, especially next year. I could see an extra 10 or so million for players.

I absolutly believe that is a fairly realistic scenerio.

Fair enough, I suppose an interesting question is who would you rather have around another 3 years after this one: Arroyo or Phillips?

That will be one reds management will need to answer, unless payroll is raised to the mid-80s

Turn Off Ads?