Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a buzz in Cincinnati?

Is there a buzz in Cincinnati?

I live far away and have no family or friends there. I know attendence has been down for some years. Is it picking up? Are the sports bars picking up? Is the town getting into the team again?

I think the Reds are just 1 decent starter from being a very, very good team. And a full stadium would be a great boost too.

What IS the buzz around town?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is there a buzz in Cincinnati?

I think the Reds are zero starters away from being a good team. I hope there is a buzz in Cincy I'll be down their after the all star break.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I think the Reds are zero starters away from being a good team. I hope there is a buzz in Cincy I'll be down their after the all star break.
    + me. In Cincy for Colorado on the 16th.

i think we will get our answer after the all star game and finish this road trip strong.

Not as much as you'd think. I work for an accounting firm downtown, and really, you still hear more about the Bengals then the Reds. I'm begining to think this is just a football town.

It's stuff like, you'll be on fountain square eating lunch and hear someone mention, "the reds are kind of suprising." But, then they'll quickly transfer to how much they can't wait for football season to start. And the way people talk about the Bengals and Reds is completely different. You can hear passion about the Bengals (sometimes anger), but the Reds seem to be kind of take them or leave them.

I think attendance will really pick up in the second half if the Reds continue to play well. But, it's a different era, the violence and instant excitement of the NFL rules. I'm not sure they'll ever be the passion that this town had pre-94 again. Just my opinion.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Is there a buzz in Cincinnati?

Depends on how much people drink on any given night.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Hamburger dude speaks the truth. There is a bit of a growing interest but it's very tempered and it still feels like people are waiting for them to fall off. In large part people are amused that the team has exceeded expectations, but they haven't regained the passion that comes with a team they really want to believe in and support. Check back in mid-August and then you'll really start to see some change if the Reds are in the hunt.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Wow you'd think being 11 games over and leading the division at the halfway point would be enough. Cincinatti needs to lighten up a bit. Why not go out and support them while their winning instead of waiting for a total collapse? The city must have no faith.

football being one day a week there is a huge build up from week to week and thats where that passion comes from. its really hard for pple to bring the same passion and excitement for baseball whether at the game or watching it on tv since its everyday. there is just so much more urgency for the football games b/c even one win or loss is a huge deal. in baseball a team would need to win or lose 10 in a row to have the same effect. actually i think those are the few times you do get a buzz in the city is when the reds do pull off a 10 game win streak.

also a football game is like a weekly party. you get friends together to tailgate for games, or watch it at the house or bar. not really a tailgating/party/bar scene for baseball games.

casual fans have a lot more time for football. its a lot easier to follow a team when it only takes 3 hrs of their time on a sunday. baseball there is gonna be 20hrs a week of watching games. and ur casual fan may only see 3-5 of that so that as immersed in whats going on with the team since their missing so much. following a baseball team closely takes a lot of time.

not to mention other programming that is on during the work week so ur casual fan isnt even fully concentrated on whats going on in the few hours that they do watch per week. whereas with football on sunday afternoon there is no good alternative programming.

also the weather is a reason for fewer viewers. the casual fan is already not gonna see much of the games in the workweek but they arent gonna be spending their weekends sitting inside watching baseball games when there is nice wheather outside. during football season its cold and bitter outside keeping everyone inside.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

There is a bit of a buzz in Northern Kentucky. Everywhere I go instead of saying goodbye, or see you next time, I say go reds. The responses I receive are wonderful. People are paying attention, people are talking, people are following.

For example. I have a 65 year old woman that works as a greeter at my restaurant she will not go home till the game is over. She was never like that before, she always had to get home to her husband, now he can wait, the reds are on!!!!!

As for Cincy, not sure. But if football takes the headlines in this city, while we are in a pennant race, I will not be happy.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

the buzz is really picking up in the sports bars. people are starting to say "turn the game on" instead of just watching whatever is on. You wont see a major change in overall attitude until we do it for at least 2 straight years. This city has been fooled to many times to be "swirlied" by the Reds FO again.

The diehards like me are really starting to get people buzzing....I talk about them everywhere I go and try to get people talking about them. After the ASB, out attendance will slowly start to rise if we keep this trend.....then if we go far into the playoffs or make the series, then next year we will start seeing a MAJOR impact on fans in the seats.....This town will quickly revert right back to REDS TOWN.

Its growing.

Its not a buzz quite yet.

But its growing. I agree i think if were still doing well once we hti the all-star break. It will officially become a buzz.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This is a perfect example of alienating fans by tanking a great franchise. This was once a true baseball town. I'm not sure it is anymore.

I was born in '65 and remember the '75, '76 and '90 championships. My father had season tickets at Riverfront starting in the early 70's that he split with 2 other people and we went to about 20 games a year and gave the other tickets away to clients for nearly 30 years into the late 90's.

My father and I bought tickets to opening day the first year GABP opened. He was still interested in the team at that time.

Here we are in 2010. My Dad still catches the score in the morning on 550 WKRC or 700 WLW. But he doesn't watch the games and has no idea who the players are. This lost decade did him in, and I'm sure it did in other fans of the Reds.

Years and years of failure will not be undone in 1 good season. It's going to take several to make the fans believe.

I am starting to see more excitement for the Reds in my area. I live about 2 hours north of Cincinnati, and I am starting to see the Reds shirts and jerseys being worn now. But, I don't know about Cincinnati.

For the first time in 4-5 years, I am closely following the Reds on a daily basis. I guess I am a "fair weather fan". But, I just couldn't follow the Reds in the past, I didn't care about any of their players, and they were horrible. I didn't care about them. That is the way I started the year as well. But, they started winning, and took over first place in NL Central for first time, I started following. Also helped I came home from college, and actually have a TV to watch and keep updated on sports, and watch reds games.

I guess we are all the type of fan that likes their team no matter what. The Reds could go 30 straight years of having a losing season and I would still watch every game that I could. I think it's weird that people only like their team when they're winning.

Turn Off Ads?