Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Votto the N.L. 1st half MVP?

Is Votto the N.L. 1st half MVP?

I think so.

What does "most valuable" mean? To me, the most valuable player is the player who literally has the most value to his team. I don't believe the exact criteria for judging the most valuable player has the exact same application each year, but there are some basic standards I think must be reached.

First, the player's value isn't an exact statistical measure, but the numbers certainly weigh heavily into the factoring. Second, the player has to be consistently making significant offensive and defensive contributions to a winning team. Are there intangibles? I think so, but they will vary depending on the player and the team.

I look at his stats plus the team's improvement, and I believe he is the NL first half MVP. I'm not sure he is the inspirational leader or measures up with any unmeasurable criteria, but he seems the logical choice for the first half.

So, is Joey Votto the first half MVP?
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-02-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Is Votto the N.L. 1st half MVP?

If he isn't, he has to be top 3-4.

I think he is clearly number one with Pujols a distant number two.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Ubaldo's gotta be in the discussion

Adrian Gonzalez might disagree considering the park differences, but yeah, Votto is right there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Ubaldo's gotta be in the discussion
    But, he will appear in about one fifth of his team's games. Can a starting pitcher really be the most valuable player? Steve Carlton won 27 games for a last place team. For me, there has to be more contribution to the everyday production of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Adrian Gonzalez might disagree considering the park differences...
    That is hard to disagree with, but I think the Padres are in first place because of their pitching and because of Bud Black's employment of that bullpen. Obviously, Gonzalez is basically carrying the offensive load virtually by himself. Still, Gonzalez OPS is .796 when the Pads are ahead and .940 when they are behind. Could this indicate the Padres are really about pitching? Is Gonzalez's hitting really the major factor in the Padres' winning equation?
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-02-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Yes.

Rolen is my Reds MVP for the 1st half.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yes.
    To what?

Is Votto the N.L. 1st half MVP?

Can a starting pitcher really be the most valuable player?

Is Gonzalez's hitting really the major factor in the Padres' winning equation?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I really can't disagree with this statement. With Rolen, the Reds have been a much better team. He has been the MVP, but I can't exactly justify him over Votto.

Yep, bigger impact IMO, solidified the left side of the infield for the first time since Barry was around and provided a big RH middle of the order bat on team that has been flush with LH bats for quite some time.

I'd vote Gonzalez, personally. He's been the only bat for a first place Padre team that worth anything.

Votto and Rolen would earn my second and third place MVP spots, with Pujols fourth and Phillips fifth.

It's a good problem to have....deciding which Red should be 1st half MVP.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, bigger impact IMO, solidified the left side of the infield for the first time since Barry was around and provided a big RH middle of the order bat on team that has been flush with LH bats for quite some time.
    Think of it this way. Replace Votto with a league average 1B, and the Reds are around 3-4 games worse. Replace Rolen with a league average 3b and the Reds are at least 10 games worse.

Rolen plays a harder position to replace with MVP type talent, and his being on the team and in the order has made Bruce, Phillips, Gomes, and pretty much everyone better.

You can't measure just the production that Rolen provides to this team with just his numbers. His presences raises nearly everyone else's numbers as well, and that isn't nearly as much the case with Votto.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

It's a good problem to have....deciding which Red should be 1st half MVP.
    Indeed. Rolen is, in my opinion, the piece that makes this team what it is. From the moment he first donned a Reds uniform this team has been different. Chemistry isn't quantifiable but I think there is something to it. Votto is having a whale of a season and by the traditional MVP criteria would get the nod. As you said, it is a good problem to have.

Turn Off Ads?