Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heisey for Marmol?

Re: Heisey for Marmol?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Marmol is walking the razors edge. The BB rate goes up just a little or the K rate drops a little and his effectiveness evaporates.
    I agree, I'm afraid this move would backfire. I wouldn't do it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Posted this in the other thread too, but will post here...

Jocketty and Hendry are VERY good friends, so wouldn't be crazy to see those two get together on a deal...

As for losing Heisey... Would sting quite a bit... If it's Boxberger we're talking, I pull the trigger. If it has to be Joseph, no thanks...

Marmol, while walking more than you'd like, is pretty much lights out... He has 69 K's in 38 IP, compared to Francisco at 34 in 38... Even with the walks, his WHIP is 1.24 compared to Francisco at 1.50...

Also, it gives the bullpen PLENTY of leverage options, and allows you to cycle the two in save opportunities when necessary instead of riding one sweating horse until it gives up from underneath you... Would also allow for Rhodes to be rested more than he currently has...

Yes, we lose some minor league talent... But in return get a young flamethrower to help anchor our pen and provide a massive amount of flexibility to one of this teams most glaring weaknesses, while giving up ZERO of the players rumored in a Lee deal...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I'll believe it when I see it. Is bleacherreport a reliable website?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That might explain Heisey starting today... Maybe Hendry wanted a closer look. Marmol is nervewracking as heck, but his strikeouts are ridiculous.
    If so, then Heisey's baserunning gaffe in the seventh inning will fit right in with the Cubs' team concept.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

With Fukudome, Byrd, Soriano, not to mention Colvin...where would Heisey fit into that picture? I understand why the Cubs would want either Boxberger or Joseph, but with three outfield spots locked up with long term contracts and Colvin needing playing time, when would they play Heisey?

Makes me wonder about the rumor...
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    With Fukudome, Byrd, Soriano, not to mention Colvin...where would Heisey fit into that picture? I understand why the Cubs would want either Boxberger or Joseph, but with three outfield spots locked up with long term contracts and Colvin needing playing time, when would they play Heisey?

Makes me wonder about the rumor...

I agree. Assuming these two teams are talking in general I'd offer something along the lines of we take Byrd and his salary plus Marmol or Marshall for less talent than Heisey and see what response that got.

Something along those lines. The Cubs need to shed contracts, I think that would be the hot button to push on them and obviously that means we'd have to have a 3rd dance partner in there somewhere.

Yankees are looking for bench depth and want to spend money rather than prospects. Who knows.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Heisey for Marmol straight up I like a lot, personally.

Add in the prospects and no thanks.

I'd be in favor of this move. Marmol would be much more valuable to this team than Heisey. I like Heisey but he is a bench player at this point and Marmol could really help this pen. All fans like their home grown guys but I think the Reds would be foolish to pass on Marmol like OBM said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Agree with most - Heisey? Probably. With Joseph or Boxberger? Nah. I'd rather do Heisey with Fisher. Not sure I wouldn't rather give Joesph a shot and hold onto Heisey.

I'm not saying I wouldn't deal Boxburger or Joseph, but not for Marmol. If you can still improve the team and hold on to them I would. I'd groom them as my candidates to replace Cordero and Rhodes.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'm ok if its player for player.. if the Reds have to give up more the Cubs can have their one positive thing for the season and ride him till his arm falls off.

Perhaps the Reds then would send Alonso, Mesocaro, and Marmol to the M's for Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I'm ok if its player for player.. if the Reds have to give up more the Cubs can have their one positive thing for the season and ride him till his arm falls off.

Perhaps the Reds then would send Alonso, Mesocaro, and Marmol to the M's for Lee...
    If this is true which I have doubts just because it doesn't seem to be anywhere else, I would think it is this move first and then they would add Lee. I think Walt knows this team has a chance.

You can hold prospects and hope for 2011 and 2012 but there is no promise that there will be 4 punching bags in the division in the future. There is no team dominating in the NL right now and if the Reds add Marmol and Lee it really elevates them. The prospects might be good, but our time might be now.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Heisey for Marmol straight up I like a lot, personally.

Add in the prospects and no thanks.
    Exactly this. I would be all over a Marmol for Heisey deal.

Senor Votto

Who comes the the other outfielder? I dont think any of us want to answer that

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. Is bleacherreport a reliable website?
    Anyone can create an account and write an article on BR. Anyone. No one gets paid to write there. Like I said, with all due respect to Illya, the writer, I seriously have my doubts that he of all people landed this scoop while no one else has touched it.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I am DEFINITELY not in favor of any move that allows a certain player in Louisville any chance on being brought up to the Reds this year. I hope I don't have to mention the name of said player here.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?