Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heisey for Marmol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heisey for Marmol?

Put this in another thread but figured it would reach more folks this way. Thanks to the guys on the Sundeck for this nugget. Seems like this might have some legs IMO.

Link

They also want either Boxberger or Donnie Joseph, read the story.

MLB Trade Rumors: Carlos Marmol To Cincinnati Reds for Chris Heisey
    by Illya Harrell
    Written on July 03, 2010

By Sunday evening, the Chicago Cubs will have a new outfielder, Chris Heisey, and the Cincinnati Reds will have a new relief pitcher, Carlos Marmol.

You heard it here first.

Sources are saying that, "Walt Jocketty and Jim Hendry are in serious discussions over a trade involving Chris Heisey and Carlos Marmol."
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Re: Heisey for Marmol?

Heisey + Boxberger/Joseph for Marmol?

Yeah, no thanks. And I like Marmol a lot. I'd send them Heisey and Cordero for Marmol however.

I hope this isn't true.

I wouldn't trade Heisey for Marmol straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I hope this isn't true.

I wouldn't trade Heisey for Marmol straight up.
    Agree. Marmol's shelf life is likely to not be anywhere near that of Heisey. I really hope we do not do this trade.

Senor Votto

SO is this offical or just a rumor? I really would hate to lose Hiesey

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

No thanks to this one and I hope it's just a rumor.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    No thanks to this one and I hope it's just a rumor.
    WHAT?

Are you kidding me? If this is true, I'll be doing backflips.

I mean really, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Cubs will do this trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Marmol averages 5.91 BB/9 for his career.

He will drive me (and this board) insane.

Dude does miss bats though.

I would not. Marmol is way too unpredictable. I'd rather take my chances with Chapman.

Well the Reds probably view Heisey as expendable with Gary Matthews Jr in AAA. And of course it's Walts M.O. to deal these high upside arms (Stewart, Haren) for parts so I can see him parting with Joseph or Boxberger. So I fully expect to see this deal get done. I probably fall on the side of sticking with what we have rather than dealing for Marmol but if he can throw strikes he will be well worth it. I guess that is asking for alot though.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I believe Arroyo was traded a few years ago for Victorino in a similar blog. Maybe something to it, but the fact that no one else has anything on it makes it fishey.

As for the rumor, I'd trade Heisey for Marmol, no problem. But no way would I throw in Boxberger or Joseph. Those guys are one year away from being probsvly better than Marmol and are much cheaper.

I don't see it happening, at least not that way.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Marmol's BB/9 is very high, but his H/9 is also very low. He also struck out almost two thirds of the batters he's faced so far this year and well over two thirds of those he's faced over the course of his career. I like Heisey, but he's not exactly irreplaceable.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Marmol's BB/9 is very high, but his H/9 is also very low. He also struck out almost two thirds of the batters he's faced so far this year and well over two thirds of those he's faced over the course of his career.
    This year he has struck out 42% of the batters he's faced, which is fabulous but well below 2/3rds.

And over the cousre of hi scareer he has struck out 30% of the batters he has faced, which again great, but well below the "well over 2/3rds of those he's faced" numbwer being thrown around.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    This year he has struck out 42% of the batters he's faced, which is fabulous but well below 2/3rds.

And over the cousre of hi scareer he has struck out 30% of the batters he has faced, which again great, but well below the "well over 2/3rds of those he's faced" numbwer being thrown around.

Where are you getting your numbers from?
    My bad, those percentages are for the kind of out he gets, not total percentage of batters faced.

That might explain Heisey starting today... Maybe Hendry wanted a closer look. Marmol is nervewracking as heck, but his strikeouts are ridiculous.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?