Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outfield Help?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outfield Help?

We've heard a lot of talk about starters and relievers but not that much talk about a bat to add. I went through the teams toward the lower half of the standings and came with a list of 20 names.

Kinda slim pickings. Some probably aren't worth having and some might not even be made available by their teams. Which, if any, would you want or would you just stand pat with Heisey, Gomes, Nix & Dickerson? Or are there other names you'd pursue?

Vernon Wells (TOR)
    Ty Wiggington (BAL)
    Adam Jones (BAL)
    Nick Markakis (BAL)
    Austin Kearns (CLE)
    Matt Laporta (CLE)
    David DeJesus (KC)
    Jose Guillen, (KC)
    Alex Rios (CHI)
    Carlos Quentin (CHI)
    Andruw Jones (CHI)
    Michael Taylor (OAK)
    Cody Ross (FLA)
    Josh Willingham (WAS)
    Adam Dunn (WAS)
    Garrett Jones (PIT)
    Lance Berkman (HOU)
    Carlos Lee (HOU)
    Chris Young (ARI)
    Justin Upton (ARI)

Re: Outfield Help?

The last I heard, the Reds lead the NL in runs, and you're thinking they need to look at adding a bat? If it were a shortstop, I'd understand, but next to the corner infield positions, the outfield is the least of the team's concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The last I heard, the Reds lead the NL in runs, and you're thinking they need to look at adding a bat? If it were a shortstop, I'd understand, but next to the corner infield positions, the outfield is the least of the team's concerns.

While the Reds do lead the league in runs scored and the outfield isn't a glaring concern. There is always room for improvement.

Resident PED Expert

Oh you didn't hear? They went out and got OF help. He is in Louisville, a switch hitter, and OPSing .889.

He should be up shortly after the All Star Break.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Oh you didn't hear? They went out and got OF help. He is in Louisville, a switch hitter, and OPSing .889.

He should be up shortly after the All Star Break.
    I'm not a big Mathews fan, but he's not the Plague Taveras was. I like the fact that he can switch hit and run. He's basically a replacement for Dickerson who could get some starts in LF and CF while hitting from the left side. I like him as much as Nix for that job and maybe as much as a healthy Dickerson. If having him around gives the front office the security blanket that allows them to deal Stubbs or Heisey for a TOR arm, then it could be a key move that goes un-noticed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

A name I like is Angel Pagan. If the Reds see the need to dump some bucks in order to take on a big fish, I think a Harang for Pagan deal makes some sense. The Mets are getting Beltran back after the break so Pagan becomes a bench player. Harang would slide into the back of their rotation and the dollars saved might allow the Reds to add other needed pieces. Deal Harang and some cash (but still net a savings) for Pagan then deal Alonso and Heisey for Lee or Oswalt. Pagan becomes a more natural partner for Stubbs and Gomes while the rotation upgrades from Harang to a TOR guy to boost the team down the stretch and match-up better in the hoped for play-off series.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A name I like is Angel Pagan. If the Reds see the need to dump some bucks in order to take on a big fish, I think a Harang for Pagan deal makes some sense. The Mets are getting Beltran back after the break so Pagan becomes a bench player. Harang would slide into the back of their rotation and the dollars saved might allow the Reds to add other needed pieces. Deal Harang and some cash (but still net a savings) for Pagan then deal Alonso and Heisey for Lee or Oswalt. Pagan becomes a more natural partner for Stubbs and Gomes while the rotation upgrades from Harang to a TOR guy to boost the team down the stretch and match-up better in the hoped for play-off series.

Nice trade idea.

Pagan would be a nice addition. I am a big fan of Chris Carter. He is really blocked out there. I'd be all about moving Harang, Cash and Heisey to the Mets for Carter and Pagan.

Pagan .356 OBP / 15 SB
    Phillips .368 OBP
    Votto .414 OBP
    Rolen .368 OBP
    Gomes .344 OBP
    Bruce .353 OBP
    Cabrera .284 OBP Wheeze... (Janish .345 OBP / Just saying)
    Hanigan .468 OBP

That's a sick lineup.

Hernandez
    Cairo
    Janish
    Stubbs
    Carter

Not a bad bench.

Lee/Haren/Oswalt
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake/Bailey/Wood

Sick rotation.

I've made my peace with the fact that GMJ will be along shortly. I think if he stays in a back-up role, it will be fine.

I also hope that if he does end up with a lot more at-bats than would seem adviseable, that he catches some GABP rejuvenation.

If Pagan gets moved, it'll probably be to Seattle.

Wouldn't Josh Hamilton have looked good in left this year?

Since the trade, he's basically doubled Volquez' WAR and produced roughly $38M worth of surplus value to Volquez's $20M...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Since the trade, he's basically doubled Volquez' WAR and produced roughly $38M worth of surplus value to Volquez's $20M...
    Why would a rebuilding Mariners team want a guy like Pagan who turns 30 in 2011? Seem like the Mets would be after Lee and the Mariners would probably want Younger guys. Josh Thole, Chirs Carter and Wilmer Flores would be a good package.

Why would a rebuilding Mariners team want a guy like Pagan who turns 30 in 2011? Seem like the Mets would be after Lee and the Mariners would probably want Younger guys. Josh Thole, Chirs Carter and Wilmer Flores would be a good package.
    Because Pagan would be perfect for them, they'd get something else from the Mets too and the Ms aren't rebuilding in the sense you're suggesting.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Because Pagan would be perfect for them, they'd get something else from the Mets too and the Ms aren't rebuilding in the sense you're suggesting.
    They have no legit middle of the order bats. Teams that can't hit in the 3, 4, and 5 holes or don't have a legitimate complement of starting pitchers (with Lee and Bedard likely gone after this year its pretty ugly after King Felix) are rebuilding. The M's need to use their chips to get pitching and power IMO. Its why a Wood/Alonso package would look good to them.

They have no legit middle of the order bats. Teams that can't hit in the 3, 4, and 5 holes or don't have a legitimate complement of starting pitchers (with Lee and Bedard likely gone after this year its pretty ugly after King Felix) are rebuilding.
    Bedard is probably likely going to stay in Seattle and Pineda will probably be in the rotation too. They have a gaggle to fight for the remaining two spots.

Pagan/Flores makes a lot of sense for their organization. They certainly don't HAVE to make Bavasi cookies by doggedly looking to cookie cutter elements-i.e. sock for the 4th spot... pitcher type X for spot Y.

Their current team is better talent-wise than its record too.

Thanks for the useful data on a trade some of us never liked. Simplest way to avoid compounding the mistake is, IMHO, to offer the M's Volquez straight up for Lee. That is, if we must have Lee, which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Thanks for the useful data on a trade some of us never liked. Simplest way to avoid compounding the mistake is, IMHO, to offer the M's Volquez straight up for Lee. That is, if we must have Lee, which I doubt.
    I wouldn't do that from a Reds standpoint.

Turn Off Ads?