Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is Volquez starting tonight at Indy?

Is Volquez starting tonight at Indy?

I can't seem to find the pitching match-ups for the minor league game tonight. Heading to Victory field and was hoping to catch Volquez tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Volquez starting tonight at Indy?

I see they have updated the website and he is starting! Is anyone else going to Indy tonight to see Edinson pitch?

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

i'll post this here: per jon fay

Walt Jocketty said Edinson Volquez will likely make another rehab start.

“His command wasn’t very good,” Jocketty said. “They had to take him out. He only went five. We can’t have that up here.”

Last night's line:

5 IP, 4 H, 2 R (both earned), 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP
    87 pitches, 46 strikes (53%)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    i'll post this here: per jon fay

Walt Jocketty said Edinson Volquez will likely make another rehab start.

“His command wasn’t very good,” Jocketty said. “They had to take him out. He only went five. We can’t have that up here.”
    Good decision, IMO. There's nothing wrong with giving him another rehab start.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I'd like to see him get 3 or 4 more rehab starts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Last night's line:

5 IP, 4 H, 2 R (both earned), 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP
    87 pitches, 46 strikes (53%)
    His line was a lot better than his outing. Guys were chasing stuff that would have seen him walking three or four more guys and the defense turned a few DPs behind him. Todd Frazier bailed him out on a really good play in LF. Against better hitters (like those in the majors) he'd have had about 7 walks and only a couple Ks. He'd have probably allowed at least 5 runs as well.

The way they are going right now, its not likely that any pitcher in the current rotation would have an outing as bad as Volquez last night (but its happened). For 2011, I think he may be the best they have, but not right now.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

That's not a particularly good line, so he must have been pretty bad. 53% strikes is horrible. Cueto the other day against the Cubs when he kept playing with fire was at 57% and we saw how that translated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'd like to see him get 3 or 4 more rehab starts.
    no kidding? count me in the group as thinking he should be making his starts up with the big boys. I dont want him up here if he was not dominating up till that last start, and lets not kid ourselves, its not like he tanked it out there. If Edinson is going to pitch and throw mid 90's and have good off speed stuff, then do it up here....I just dont see the point in letting him try to work out his issues down there....we are not talking about a rookie...this cat can work his issues out up here, its not like his issues are major ones....he is MLB ready right now.

We are headed to a pennant race and have a few guys who we are going to limit innings with...lets get all the pitching we can up here to help limit those innings for when we get deep into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    no kidding? count me in the group as thinking he should be making his starts up with the big boys. I dont want him up here if he was not dominating up till that last start, and lets not kid ourselves, its not like he tanked it out there. If Edinson is going to pitch and throw mid 90's and have good off speed stuff, then do it up here....I just dont see the point in letting him try to work out his issues down there....we are not talking about a rookie...this cat can work his issues out up here, its not like his issues are major ones....he is MLB ready right now.

We are headed to a pennant race and have a few guys who we are going to limit innings with...lets get all the pitching we can up here to help limit those innings for when we get deep into the playoffs.
    I think Walt's walking that fine line with Leake, Volquez, Wood (limiting him to 90 pitches in case he needs him the rest of the season), and he's setting up Chapman to be a player who can help us in the bullpen. I really enjoy how Walt handles the pitching of this organization.

Speaking of the way you're describing Volquez, Daryl Thompson could also fall into that category. Now that he's pitching again, he might be able to be used as a Reliever for the Major League club in a month. Let Thompson get in 30 innings in the Minors and see how the soreness plays out, etc., and if all is well there's no reason not to use Thompson as a Reliever in the Majors, especially in September with the expanded rosters.

Turn Off Ads?