Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sunday July 4th Minor League Updates

Re: Sunday July 4th Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It was one start. Every start before this he was dominate.
    That's true and I hope you're right, but his line looks much better than his actual performance. Wonder how many of the others were just minor leaguers chasing stuff he couldn't get over to save his life.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That's true and I hope you're right, but his line looks much better than his actual performance. Wonder how many of the others were just minor leaguers chasing stuff he couldn't get over to save his life.

lets not forget major league players chase their fair amount of bad pitches every night.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Watched the game as described earlier in the thread. He looks like a guy who major leaguers will kill. His defense turned in several DPs and the minor league hitters chased stuff to help him out. I thought he looked like a guy who wouldn't be an upgrade in any rotation spot at this point. JMO, but I'd give him a couple more starts. Not sure when his rehab time runs out.
    Which is oddly enough the exact opposite of what happens when Chapman pitches...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Felix Perez went 4-for-5 with a double for Lynchburg.

In the AZL, Junior Arias went 1-for-3 with a HR (#2) and a HBP. Ismael Guillon: 4 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K. He now has 4 BB/15 K in 12.2 innings. He's got a chance to develop into a very good pitching prospect.

I don't think Volquez is quite ready...I would not bring him to Cincy until after the ASB personally.

Also, I do not like the Boxberger in relief ordeal. He was looking pretty good as a starter. Why change that??

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't think Volquez is quite ready...I would not bring him to Cincy until after the ASB personally.

Also, I do not like the Boxberger in relief ordeal. He was looking pretty good as a starter. Why change that??
    At a minimum, it's to keep his innings down. From the get-go, it has been speculated he was slated for relief duty down the line anyway (I think it was Baseball America that dubbed him as the Reds' future closer), but if he has a third pitch that can develop into something more than average, I bet you'll see him stick as a starter.

Has Feliz Perez drawn a walk yet? I guess when you seem to go 4-5 every night you dont have any reason to walk...

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Has Feliz Perez drawn a walk yet? I guess when you seem to go 4-5 every night you dont have any reason to walk...
    And how much longer until he gets bumped up a level. He's been killing the ball for over a month now at two levels. I think if he is killing it into August the Reds will need to bump him up a level.

What a nice problem to have...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Felix Perez went 4-for-5 with a double for Lynchburg.

In the AZL, Junior Arias went 1-for-3 with a HR (#2) and a HBP. Ismael Guillon: 4 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K. He now has 4 BB/15 K in 12.2 innings. He's got a chance to develop into a very good pitching prospect.
    Arias' HR was off of Brett Tomko... WOW!! Who knew he was still hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It was one start. Every start before this he was dominate.
    Yup, it would be a snap judgment to look at an outing and say "not ready." I haven't seen him pitch, and I feel like I am as qualified not seeing one pitch as someone making a conclusion based on how a pitcher "looked" in one game.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yup, it would be a snap judgment to look at an outing and say "not ready." I haven't seen him pitch, and I feel like I am as qualified not seeing one pitch as someone making a conclusion based on how a pitcher "looked" in one game.
    “His command wasn’t very good,” Jocketty said. “They had to take him out. He only went five. We can’t have that up here.”

That's what Walt says.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    “His command wasn’t very good,” Jocketty said. “They had to take him out. He only went five. We can’t have that up here.”

That's what Walt says.
    As I said, I watched the game. He looked a lot like Bailey on a really bad day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It was the first time he struggled at all since his rehab began. Not really a big deal, IMO. I do like the decision to give him another rehab start though. I'd bring him back against the Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It was the first time he struggled at all since his rehab began. Not really a big deal, IMO. I do like the decision to give him another rehab start though. I'd bring him back against the Nationals.
    Agreed. Dont understand others that seem to be saying he isnt worthy of pitching in the majors because of 1 game.

I have to think it was an aberration. His previous game was first rate. He had great control and command. It comes down to what caused this setback. If they don't know what the problem was, I'd like to see another start or two.

Turn Off Ads?