Turn Off Ads?

Thread: First 81 Games : A Look Back

First 81 Games : A Look Back

What a great first half it was. What moment sticks out the most to you now that happened in the first 81 games. What moment do you feel was the defining moment of the season for this team. Whether it be big or small.

Heres mine. Normally I'd say a Monday Extra innings win against the A's on the road means nothing but to this team. I feel it meant the season so far to this team. The Reds were skidding and everyone was down on them including myself. The Reds had just gotten swept out of Seattle. Fransisco Cordero had just blown the save that could of cost the Reds the game and a 4 game losing streak. Instead the Reds respond in extra innings with a huge 10th inning and win the game, jolting the team to sweeping the A's and eventually taking back first place by the next week. This game was HUGE this season. The Reds have not lost a series since the Seattle sweep a couple of weeks ago.. What do you all think?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Re: First 81 Games : A Look Back

Worst loss: Braves ninth inning debacle
    Best win: probably the last game of the Phils series

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

The Votto homer against the Phillies in the 9th to tie the game. I know we didn't win, but that showed we are never out of a game.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

There are probably lots of moments that could be pointed out.

But the astounding thing to me is they are the best offense in the NL by a long shot. Among all the league leading statistics, I just noticed after 81 games Votto and Rolen are #1 and#2 in slugging in the NL.

So I'd probably say the moment was when we all realized this offense was for real!

When they actually played well and didn't fold after the collapse against the Braves...I expected the return to the middle of the pack then, and when it didn't happen, I thought hey, maybe there's something here.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I think the Resiliency of this team is what stands out on my mind the most.

Earlier in the year, after getting swept by Pittsburgh, I am sure that most people where banging their head against the wall wondering why does Cincinnati always has to have a sucky team. (or was that just me? , Instead of getting down in the dumps and losing the season, the Reds came back and took a series against the Dodgers, 2 out of 3, and fought there way threw.

After getting swept by the Braves in a two game series, and losing a 9 run lead, many people thought that the loss was going to destroy the season. The Reds where able to get back on top against CLE, Pitt, and Hou. yea I know that there are three lousy teams, but still, they had no letdowns which would be very "redlike".

And finally, when the Reds where swept by the Mariners. I think that series did more good then harm for the Reds. once again they where able to get back on top and sweep the A's and beat the Indians, Phillies, and now the Cubs. But It also taught the Reds Organization how import a number 1 is. that they need a true number 1 if they hope to make a true run.

That is the number 1 thing I think about, Resiliency and able to put losses behind them and build off wins.

Cheers to a better second half then a Great first half!
    Last edited by The Voice of IH; 07-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?