Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Reds and 7-homer games

The Reds and 7-homer games

Interesting stat from Baseball Reference.

The Reds crushed 7 home runs against the Cubs today, including 3 by Drew Stubbs (as well as single homers by Corky Miller, Brandon Phillips, Jonny Gomes, and Paul Janish.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/7116

Amazingly, the Reds have cornered the market on 7-homer games. They now have the last 4 in MLB:

July 4th, 2010, at Chicago Cubs: Drew Stubbs (3), Brandon Phillips, Jonny Gomes, Paul Janish, Corky Miller. 14-3 win.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...inmlb_chnmlb_1

September 19th, 2008, vs Milwaukee Brewers: Jay Bruce (2), Joey Votto (2), Andy Phillips, Jerry Hairston Jr., Jolbert Cabrera. 11-2 win.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00809190.shtml

July 10th, 2008, at Chicago Cubs: David Ross (2), Joey Votto, Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., Edwin Encarnacion, Brandon Phillips. 12-7 win.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00807100.shtml

May 7th, 2008, vs Chicago Cubs: Joey Votto (3), Adam Dunn, Jerry Hairston Jr., Paul Bako, Brandon Phillips. 9-0 win.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00805070.shtml

Three of the four games have been against the Cubs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds and 7-homer games

I was at a game at Wrigley (where else?) in 2006 when I think they had six. Edwin Encarnacion had a grand slam and Arroyo had his second home run in as many game for the Reds.

That was quite a fun day.

edit: Yep, it was six homers. I made this stellar graphic at the time as a keepsake.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 07-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Joey was involved in all of those games until today's game. He probably would have hit everything out with the combination of being snubbed by the All Star selections and the wind blowing out today, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Joey was involved in all of those games until today's game. He probably would have hit everything out with the combination of being snubbed by the All Star selections and the wind blowing out today, LOL
    Well, he was 'involved' in this one too. His replacement in the batting order, Paul Janish, had one of the HRs.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Well, he was 'involved' in this one too. His replacement in the batting order, Paul Janish, had one of the HRs.
    That's true athough I think this one was more of an assist, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Interesting that there was a Phillips in every game, though one of them you probably wouldn't guess.

Paul Janish is the first major league player to enter a game as a sustitute and go 4 for 4 with a HR since Paul O'Neil did it in 1990.

Turn Off Ads?