Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Okay, Harold. Just keep your hands off the interns and we'll worry about the REDS.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    655

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    i like harold, i kind of agree with him here. nothing wrong with what hes saying. its how the reds have to play to make noise. some guys are going to have to have career years. gomes for instance, he's been playing over his head. cairo filled in while votto was out and put up numbers we didnt expect. just gotta enjoy the ride and hope these guys keep it up.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    duplicate post somehow.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-05-2010 at 07:52 PM.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    The reason the REDS won't slump (only 2 bad holes out of the first 9, the #2 hole and the #8 hole, and both bad holes were followed with an Eagle and a Double-Eagle, just to show how incredibly tough this team is.).....is because they have remarkable depth in Starting Pitching and two reliable Relievers who can close games in the 8th and 9th innings in Rhodes and Cordero. Bailey down, LeCure in. LeCure out, Wood in. Harang down, Wood in. Volquez is waiting in the wings when needed, followed by Maloney and LeCure, and eventually Bailey again, if needed.

    And, that's if we don't go out and get Cliff Lee. If we do that, then we've really got incredible depth at starting pitching. That's why we won't have sustained slumps. Plus, we've got great Offensive players, too. We don't rely on 2 or 3 individuals.

  6. #5
    Rojo Johnson #99
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Bend
    Posts
    83

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Its a moot point regardless. It's not like the Reds are playing in an intensely competitive division. The NL central has essentially become a two team race between the Reds and the Cardinals. The way the Cardinals have been playing, the Reds will still be in it even if they do slump.

  7. #6
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    I think the Reds offensive lineup is better than the "anal"-ysts think.

    But I still think we need to bolster our bullpen and acquiring a #1 starter for the postseason would be nice. Preferably a lefty since Travis Wood is our only other lefty.

    Phillies and Braves don't fare well against lefties.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    So are a ton of teams.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    If the Reds are playing over their heads, the Braves are playing waaaaaaaaay over theirs.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    270

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The reason the REDS won't slump (only 2 bad holes out of the first 9, the #2 hole and the #8 hole, and both bad holes were followed with an Eagle and a Double-Eagle, just to show how incredibly tough this team is.).....is because they have remarkable depth in Starting Pitching and two reliable Relievers who can close games in the 8th and 9th innings in Rhodes and Cordero. Bailey down, LeCure in. LeCure out, Wood in. Harang down, Wood in. Volquez is waiting in the wings when needed, followed by Maloney and LeCure, and eventually Bailey again, if needed.

    And, that's if we don't go out and get Cliff Lee. If we do that, then we've really got incredible depth at starting pitching. That's why we won't have sustained slumps. Plus, we've got great Offensive players, too. We don't rely on 2 or 3 individuals.
    Except the stats don't back that up whatsoever.

    Sortable Pitching

    1 San Diego 82 49 33 3.05 24 1 12 750.1 45 254 269 259 650 .233
    2 St. Louis 82 45 37 3.28 18 4 8 738.0 53 269 302 237 577 .250
    3 San Francisco 81 41 40 3.54 27 4 6 731.2 48 288 308 327 646 .240
    4 Tampa Bay 81 48 33 3.59 23 4 5 728.2 52 291 312 234 594 .242
    5 Atlanta 82 48 34 3.67 19 2 2 723.2 46 295 321 272 598 .247
    6 NY Mets 82 46 36 3.82 22 1 11 735.1 44 312 328 312 595 .263
    7 Oakland 83 41 42 3.85 19 2 9 735.2 49 315 341 270 568 .250
    8 Seattle 81 34 47 3.88 18 8 5 718.1 48 310 343 226 511 .252
    9 Texas 81 48 33 3.90 27 4 2 727.1 39 315 343 300 587 .245
    10 Minnesota 82 44 38 3.91 19 4 5 734.1 45 319 335 173 536 .267
    11 Chicago Cubs 82 35 47 3.93 17 1 5 726.0 52 317 371 266 634 .251
    12 Colorado 82 44 38 3.94 17 5 9 738.0 45 323 348 275 585 .252
    13 NY Yankees 81 50 31 3.99 21 2 5 719.1 46 319 340 264 589 .244
    14 Philadelphia 80 42 38 4.02 16 9 7 706.0 43 315 338 204 518 .259
    15 Florida 81 38 43 4.05 19 3 5 720.0 48 324 355 264 587 .259
    16 LA Dodgers 81 45 36 4.10 20 0 6 726.1 42 331 364 281 641 .252
    17 Washington 83 36 47 4.14 24 1 2 732.0 38 337 383 266 496 .273
    18 Chicago Sox 80 42 38 4.22 24 2 6 712.0 48 334 350 246 581 .257
    19 Toronto 83 41 42 4.26 21 2 7 738.0 47 349 372 286 627 .250
    20 Detroit 80 43 37 4.28 20 2 4 701.2 36 334 361 275 516 .259
    21 Boston 82 49 33 4.30 23 3 6 741.1 47 354 379 288 581 .253
    22 Cincinnati 83 47 36 4.30 24 3 5 745.1 44 356 367 295 546 .266
    23 LA Angels 84 46 38 4.33 21 7 6 746.2 48 359 392 302 597 .261
    24 Houston 83 32 51 4.53 20 1 2 729.0 44 367 412 289 585 .278
    25 Cleveland 81 32 49 4.59 16 6 2 712.0 41 363 403 305 442 .276
    26 Kansas City 82 36 46 4.67 23 4 1 725.1 39 376 400 283 525 .266
    27 Milwaukee 82 37 45 4.80 15 2 5 729.1 35 389 424 323 629 .275
    28 Baltimore 81 25 56 5.03 15 1 1 708.1 37 396 431 271 479 .283
    29 Pittsburgh 82 30 52 5.11 20 0 4 715.2 34 406 449 287 496 .282
    30 Arizona 82 32 50 5.31 16 2 2 724.0 39 427 468 307 562 .282

  11. #10
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWilly View Post
    Except the stats don't back that up whatsoever.

    Sortable Pitching

    1 San Diego 82 49 33 3.05 24 1 12 750.1 45 254 269 259 650 .233
    2 St. Louis 82 45 37 3.28 18 4 8 738.0 53 269 302 237 577 .250
    3 San Francisco 81 41 40 3.54 27 4 6 731.2 48 288 308 327 646 .240
    4 Tampa Bay 81 48 33 3.59 23 4 5 728.2 52 291 312 234 594 .242
    5 Atlanta 82 48 34 3.67 19 2 2 723.2 46 295 321 272 598 .247
    6 NY Mets 82 46 36 3.82 22 1 11 735.1 44 312 328 312 595 .263
    7 Oakland 83 41 42 3.85 19 2 9 735.2 49 315 341 270 568 .250
    8 Seattle 81 34 47 3.88 18 8 5 718.1 48 310 343 226 511 .252
    9 Texas 81 48 33 3.90 27 4 2 727.1 39 315 343 300 587 .245
    10 Minnesota 82 44 38 3.91 19 4 5 734.1 45 319 335 173 536 .267
    11 Chicago Cubs 82 35 47 3.93 17 1 5 726.0 52 317 371 266 634 .251
    12 Colorado 82 44 38 3.94 17 5 9 738.0 45 323 348 275 585 .252
    13 NY Yankees 81 50 31 3.99 21 2 5 719.1 46 319 340 264 589 .244
    14 Philadelphia 80 42 38 4.02 16 9 7 706.0 43 315 338 204 518 .259
    15 Florida 81 38 43 4.05 19 3 5 720.0 48 324 355 264 587 .259
    16 LA Dodgers 81 45 36 4.10 20 0 6 726.1 42 331 364 281 641 .252
    17 Washington 83 36 47 4.14 24 1 2 732.0 38 337 383 266 496 .273
    18 Chicago Sox 80 42 38 4.22 24 2 6 712.0 48 334 350 246 581 .257
    19 Toronto 83 41 42 4.26 21 2 7 738.0 47 349 372 286 627 .250
    20 Detroit 80 43 37 4.28 20 2 4 701.2 36 334 361 275 516 .259
    21 Boston 82 49 33 4.30 23 3 6 741.1 47 354 379 288 581 .253
    22 Cincinnati 83 47 36 4.30 24 3 5 745.1 44 356 367 295 546 .266
    23 LA Angels 84 46 38 4.33 21 7 6 746.2 48 359 392 302 597 .261
    24 Houston 83 32 51 4.53 20 1 2 729.0 44 367 412 289 585 .278
    25 Cleveland 81 32 49 4.59 16 6 2 712.0 41 363 403 305 442 .276
    26 Kansas City 82 36 46 4.67 23 4 1 725.1 39 376 400 283 525 .266
    27 Milwaukee 82 37 45 4.80 15 2 5 729.1 35 389 424 323 629 .275
    28 Baltimore 81 25 56 5.03 15 1 1 708.1 37 396 431 271 479 .283
    29 Pittsburgh 82 30 52 5.11 20 0 4 715.2 34 406 449 287 496 .282
    30 Arizona 82 32 50 5.31 16 2 2 724.0 39 427 468 307 562 .282
    Please don't bring facts into any argument with Kingspoint. It just confuses him.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    What does TEAM ERA have to do with Starting Pitching Depth and why we won't slump because of it?

    If you're going to use ERA (which isn't fair because the REDS are 3rd worst in the NL in allowing inherited runners to score), then at least use the ERA of the Starters where the REDS are 8th out of 16 teams in the National League.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    270

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Depth tends to mean you have something worthy of depth in the first place. You usually don't hear the term depth applied to a team that isn't very good in that area. So I really don't see how you are 'deep' if you're team is in the bottom third of the league in that area.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWilly View Post
    Depth tends to mean you have something worthy of depth in the first place. You usually don't hear the term depth applied to a team that isn't very good in that area. So I really don't see how you are 'deep' if you're team is in the bottom third of the league in that area.
    Again, you make stuff up.

    Show me where the REDS' starters are in the bottom third of the National League in terms of their pitching.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,254

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Okay, Harold. Just keep your hands off the interns and we'll worry about the REDS.
    Actually Reynolds sued ESPN for wrongful termination and got a 7 figure settlement. And he landed on his feet with jobs for MLB and the Mets. The charges of sexual harassment were just rumours.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

    I'll help you out, ILoveWilly.

    Here's the stats for "starters" only for the National League teams.

    Pick and choose what stats you want to use to make your point.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...pitching.shtml


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25