Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

Re: Harold Reynolds: "THE REDS ARE PLAYING WAY OVER THEIR HEADS!"

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I think the Reds are currently configured to do well in the regular season but will struggle in the playoffs when the pitching rotations are dropped down to 3 or 4 guys.

I am not sure how to statistically quantify it since our rotation has bounced around so much but just from the eyeball test, when you match the Reds top 2 starters up against the top 2 starters on playoff teams I think the Reds come up short. When you start getting to 3-5 though I believe the Reds have an advantage especially as you get to #5.

So in the regular season out #4 and #5, whoever you think they are going to mop up. When the playoffs come around though and #4 & #5 are eliminated I think they are at a disadvantage.
    agreed. thats why if we land lee, we're in business. #1 Lee #2 cueto...maybe volquez depending how hes throwing. thats gonna be a solid 1-2 punch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I'll help you out, ILoveWilly.

Here's the stats for "starters" only for the National League teams.

Pick and choose what stats you want to use to make your point.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...pitching.shtml
    One problem with those stats....those runs/game are for all pitchers. I wanted to check relief numbers, and the runs/game does not change. The reason it puts the Reds middle of the road is it is not ERA, it's runs/game. That really helps the Reds since they commit the fewest errors.

Plus if the starters gave up about 4.4 runs per game in 82 games it would mean they gave up every single run this year (in other words, that is overall pitching, and runs/game not ERA).
    Last edited by scott91575; 07-06-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    One problem with those stats....those runs/game are for all pitchers. I wanted to check relief numbers, and the runs/game does not change. The reason it puts the Reds middle of the road is it is not ERA, it's runs/game. That really helps the Reds since they commit the fewest errors.

Plus if the starters gave up about 4.4 runs per game in 82 games it would mean they gave up every single run this year (in other words, that is overall pitching, and runs/game not ERA).
    Relievers:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...pitching.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Umm, yeah. I don't think you get it. In both of those charts the R/G is exactly the same. It is overall pitching in that column. The other columns are relief only, but not that one. Hence pretty useless (there is no ERA column either, which would be the most useful).

I didn't realize that.

I thought they had separated it out. That's inconsistent for baseball-reference.

I think it's pretty clear that Harold was spot-on.

Phillips was playing over his head for sure, now he's starting to come back down.
    Cabrera? Not even worth addressing.
    Votto will continue to hit but I doubt the power will keep up in the second half.
    Rolen has played well above what was expected. He will slow down. Age + long season.
    Gomes has been spiraling downward for about a month.
    Bruce has been better in the first half than he was for the past year and a half. I could see him continuing to improve.
    Stubbs should improve, but he's going to keep striking out at a high rate.
    Catching IMO has been pretty good. I'm not seeing this group really giving us a lot more than they have so far.

The only real hope for the second half as I see it is for Volquez to give us a huge shot in the arm and pitch like a true ace and for Cueto to pitch to his capability. I like the bullpen for the most part, Cordero obviously being the huge, immovable exception.

I think it's pretty clear that Harold was talking out of his behind.

Nah, I think he was right.

162 game season. Lots of ebbing and flowing.

People playing over their heads is what spells World series for most teams in the past.

"Don't get too up when you win, don't get too down when you lose".

Joe Torre

You guys that listen to a mediocre player/idiot/known groper who is fortunate to still have a job anywhere amaze me. That is the one gripe I have with MLB network. Why do they keep this guy around? He is the one who is playing over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    You guys that listen to a mediocre player/idiot/known groper who is fortunate to still have a job anywhere amaze me. That is the one gripe I have with MLB network. Why do they keep this guy around? He is the one who is playing over his head.
    And yet we all post and read opinions here and apparently find value in that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    And yet we all post and read opinions here and apparently find value in that.
    That is fine, but some of us find no value in what Harold Reynolds says.

Turn Off Ads?