Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pelfrey thinks Scott Rolen has a good acting career ahead of him

Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Mike Pelfrey thinks Scott Rolen has a good acting career ahead of him

Pelfrey has to believe that the call changed the course of the game for him, otherwise he has to accept that he made poor pitches then after. I'm sure the dude was angling for a potential replacement spot on the All-Star roster and - from his perspective - one pitch may keep him from the AS game.

Wonder if he has any AS bonus money available in his contract...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I found Manuel's argument to be more persuasive. While the call was correct upon replay, I agree with Manuel that there's no way the 1B or 3B would have been able to see that.

The home ump made his original call, and respected Rolen enough to believe him, then went looking for an umpire with a "better angle" to bail him out.

Still better that the correct call got made.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Rolen's street cred in the league is what sold the call.

Pelfrey better think again if he thinks he can gain anything by questioning Rolen's integrity.

There's no crying in baseball, Mike.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I found Manuel's argument to be more persuasive. While the call was correct upon replay, I agree with Manuel that there's no way the 1B or 3B would have been able to see that.

The home ump made his original call, and respected Rolen enough to believe him, then went looking for an umpire with a "better angle" to bail him out.

I don't know how this year will turn out but the Reds seem to be getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls. I saw a few calls in the Cubs series go our way and this one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Regardless of who's correct, Rolen should probably be on the lookout for a real pitch heading at him tonight.
    If so, the Reds need to call up Aroldis Chapman after the game and have him ready for tomorrow night. I don't think teams want to get in a beanball battle with the Reds.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't know how this year will turn out but the Reds seem to be getting the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls. I saw a few calls in the Cubs series go our way and this one too.
    Apparently this is what happens when you have a good team. We Reds fans aren't as familiar with this concept so it's going to take some getting used to this season, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

With the exception of CB Bucknor most MLB umpires are very good at what they do. I can't even imagine how many pitches they have seen during their careers. More than anything else you get a feel for a game and they way things work.

It is my understanding that the home plate ump made the original call based upon a sound and then the ball hitting the catcher's mitt. I am sure it happens all the time, and when a ball is moving 90+ mph sometimes it is all you have to go upon. It was quite obvious that Rolen though he got hit on the arm and was walking down to 1b. When the ump called him out it looked like he went over and showed the ump his arm and where he had been hit. I can imagine in you get hit by a pitch there is a mark, even if you are grazed.

That said the umps could have gotten together with the home plate ump saying "I heard the ball hit something before the mitt and I though it was the bat but after seeing Scott's arm it seems like it hit his arm instead." He could be asking the other umps what they saw. For guys who have been around the game enough they could have a pretty good idea if the ball could have hit the bat in that situation. The 1b ump may not have been able to see the contact but he could have seen where Rolen was holding his bat. The 2nd base ump could have seen something similar but from a further distance.

Granted this call benefited the Reds but its nice to see the umps get the call right. Often we get on the ump's cases but in this situation its amazing that the call was reversed to the correct call without the use of replay. As for Pelfrey it sucks but you hit the batter and the onus is on you.

Regardless of who's correct, Rolen should probably be on the lookout for a real pitch heading at him tonight.
    Whomever the recipient.....I envision a Nolan Ryan/ Robin Ventura type incident.

And yes, Rolen's street cred AND the way he handled it sold it. As soon as I saw his calm approach, I had a good feeling it would get reversed. Class act, that guy.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Class act, that guy.
    Yes he is. Has there ever been any incident with him not hustling, whining about something, complaining about a contract thing, complaining about his team mates, etc.?

Obviously there was the TLR situation, but still...

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

If MLB would just go with aluminum bats the umps would hear the ping and we wouldn't have problems like this.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For the record, I don't think Pelfrey claimed it hit Rolen's bat, I think he just was claiming it didn't hit Rolen's arm/jersey...
    Wasn't it a full count pitch? If it did not hit the bat and did not hit Rolen, then it was a bases loaded walk -- same result as a bases loaded HBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Wasn't it a full count pitch? If it did not hit the bat and did not hit Rolen, then it was a bases loaded walk -- same result as a bases loaded HBP.
    I think it was 2-2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think it was 2-2.
    yes, 2-2

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Well, if that happened, David Wright better watch out considering the fact that Rolen did nothing wrong. If the Mets throw at him, either the pitcher will get beat up, the Reds will throw at Wright, or both.

The Mets suck so bad that there is only one guy in their shaky lineup that you would even think about throwing at. The rest of them are borderline players. (Well, they will get Reyes back soon and Davis is having a good rookie year, but work with me here.) I know the Mets have a good record now, but I just don't see them sustaining it. Not a good club at all IMO. They don't completely suck like the Cubs (1908!!!) but they're not good and the second half will prove that to be true.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I noticed that also. I don't think it is a coincidence. My pet baseball "conspiracy theory" is that umps tend to favor teams they perceive as contenders as opposed to also-rans.
    This year, the team is on the right side of the conspiracy.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?