Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A key issue in the second half: West Coast Games

A key issue in the second half: West Coast Games

From here on out, the St. Louis Cards play no games farther west then Houston, while the Reds still have the horrible West coast trip in their future....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A key issue in the second half...

I know the history of the west-coast swing, but this team I think is different. I'm certainly not dreading it this year.

Even during our BRM era and 1990 we struggled when we went west. We do not play well with those boys at our place, going out there will be HUGE and tough.

I'm feeling a 1999-like stretch. That team was 13-3 at Colorado, San Diego, Arizona, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

3-0 @ COL
    2-1 @ SD
    3-0 @ ARI
    2-1 @ SF
    3-1 @ LAD

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

If we stay healthy and everyone keeps this "over our head pace" I don't fear anyone.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Schedule for rest of season:

Just a quick glance at the schedule for the rest of the season. I don't think either team has a decided advantage. St. Louis has four more home games left than does Cincinnati. But the quality of their opponents is a little tougher. They play 33 games with teams who are over .500 as of today. And the cumulative winning percentage of the teams they face is .474. The Reds have 29 games left with teams who are over .500 as of today. Teams remaining on their schedule have a slightly lower cumulative winning percentage of .465. The fact that all teams play more division foes in the second half bodes well for both of the Central Division contenders as far as the wildcard berth is concerned. It is conceivable that teams in the East and West will beat up on each other and maybe St. Louis and Cincinnati both snag a playoff berth.

Code:
    TEAM	STL	CIN
    ATL	4	3
    NYM	3	0
    PHI	4	4
    FLA	3	3
    WSN	4	4

EAST	18	14

CIN	6	0
    STL	0	6
    CHI	12	6
    MIL	5	12
    HOU	9	9
    PIT	12	6

CENTRAL	44	39

SDP	4	3
    COL	5	7
    LAD	4	3
    SFG	3	3
    ARI	0	7

WEST 	16	23

HOME	39	35
    AWAY 	39	41
    .500+	33	29

WIN PCT	0.474	0.465

Re: A key issue in the second half: West Coast Games

We have one of the easiest 2nd half schedules in the league.

im not worried at all. if we were gonna fall apart it would have happened on this 14 game stretch and the reds have responded with an A+ performance they still got 4 more games but as long as they go 2-2 they would have exceeded expectations with a 9-5 record.

also the reds were just not a very good team in the past so its expected they would fall apart at some point. if ur good you can win anywhere and if ur bad you can lose anywhere. were good.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I'm feeling a 1999-like stretch. That team was 13-3 at Colorado, San Diego, Arizona, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

3-0 @ COL
    2-1 @ SD
    3-0 @ ARI
    2-1 @ SF
    3-1 @ LAD
    Lol, I remember that. They even started wearing their away jerseys at home. Fans were putting up "Welcome to Arizona!" signs throughout the park, ahh good times.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Re: Schedule for rest of season:

It is conceivable that teams in the East and West will beat up on each other and maybe St. Louis and Cincinnati both snag a playoff berth.

I typically root for teams in our division. I liked when the Cards and Astros were battling it out to go to the World Series a few years back, especially since the central was considered the worst division in baseball. But in this case i don't want to face the cards with the World Series on the line. Their front line of starting pitching is better than ours, even if we get Lee.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds42MLB View Post
    We have one of the easiest 2nd half schedules in the league.
    And that worries me.

Reds have easiest schedule 2nd half of the season

Per Baseball Tonight the Reds will have only 25 games vs. teams with records over .500 after the All Star break.

Re: Reds have easiest schedule 2nd half of the season

That all can change.

That's great to hear. I'm ready to get back to the Pirates, Astros, and Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    That all can change.

It could, but I don't think it's that likely. The Reds will still have a series left with the Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Braves, two with the Rockies, and 3 with the Cardinals I think. That should make up all the teams with winning records. The rest of their games will be within their division, two series with the DBacks and one series vs. the Marlins and Nationals. The Marlins are the only team out of the group of teams below .500 that I see as having a chance of climbing above .500.

Turn Off Ads?