Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, Minor League Updates

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, Minor League Updates

Dayton has jumped out to 2-0 lead after two. Ryan Lamarre singled and stole second (his 9th steal in 10 tries). Satterwhite and Richburg followed with RBI doubles. Juan Sulbaran has pitched two hitless innings, walking one and striking out one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tuesday, July 6th, 2010, Minor League Updates

Lamarre singles in the third and proceeds to steal second and third, giving him 11 stolen bases in 18+ games.

They ought to move the signing deadline up so more players are playing more often after they're drafted. Purely from a fan's perspective, it's nice to start getting updates from the new talent like Lemarre. From an organizational perspective, isn't it best to start training and teaching your new guys right away?

Most of what will go on from now until the deadline between Grandal's side and the Reds is completely useless, terribly slow, and counterproductive for the player and team. All the hard work is done in a matter of days, if not hours, leading up to the deadline.

Get'm signed and get'm swinging some bats this year, especially with these 40 man roster contracts.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Lamarre scores on a groundout to make it 3-0.
    West Michigan gets a run back aided by a wild pitch, a balk and a throwing error. 3-1 after 4.

Sulbaran 4IP 2H 1R 0ER 2BB 3K.

Lamarre leads off the top of the fifth with a double. His third hit on the day. Dragons tack on two in the fifth frame. A double by Oliveras plates one run and a single by Pfister the other. 5-1 Dayton.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-06-2010 at 01:44 PM.

West Michigan answers with two in the bottom of the fifth off Sulbaran, courtesy a two-out walk followed by a blast. 5-3.
    Dayton comes right back with one in the top of the sixth. 6-3.

I'd like to see LaMarre start in Carolina next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Dayton bangs out 15 hits. LaMarre with 4. Oliveras with 3. Gregorius and Weems chipped in with 2 apiece.
    Sulbaran went seven strong. 7 IP 3 H 3 R 2 ER 3 BB 4 K.
    Sulbaran then pinch hit for Pfister in the 8th and grounded out.

Nice day for Ryan LaMarre. 4-for-5 with a double and three stolen bases. He's now 11-for-12 in stolen bases.

That's one heckuva pro debut for LaMarre.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

So is Lamarre a fast riser by rule? IE does he project to be in the bigs in a year or two?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That's one heckuva pro debut for LaMarre.
    Mistake? Or just saying "debut" in everything he's done to this point.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Well you have have (currently) Stubbs, Heisey & Dickerson above him and already in the majors, all young and all thought of as centerfield types (not that he couldn't play LF/RF of off the bench), plus you have Felix Perez above him he looks like a 4th/5th outfielder of the near future, and Yorman behind him w/ a big bright star as a CF prospect. At the corners you've got Bruce prett well entrenched in RF and cheap for a few more seasons and hopefully locked up for w/ a LTC soon. You've got Yonder, Francisco & Frasier as potential LF canidates and probably a few more that I'm forgetting that could compete (Satterwhite and who else?)

Obviously trades/injuries/lack of development will take care of some of that, but the point is, there is no need to rush LaMarre. If he spends a full season in high A next year, AA the following year and AAA the year afterwords before being placed on the 40 man roster, thats not neccessarily a bad thing. I'd start him in High A next year, then let his performance dictate if he should be fasttracked, perhaps half a year in High A, half a season in AA then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Mistake? Or just saying "debut" in everything he's done to this point.
    done to this point.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Well you have have (currently) Stubbs, Heisey & Dickerson above him and already in the majors, all young and all thought of as centerfield types (not that he couldn't play LF/RF of off the bench), plus you have Felix Perez above him he looks like a 4th/5th outfielder of the near future, and Yorman behind him w/ a big bright star as a CF prospect. At the corners you've got Bruce prett well entrenched in RF and cheap for a few more seasons and hopefully locked up for w/ a LTC soon. You've got Yonder, Francisco & Frasier as potential LF canidates and probably a few more that I'm forgetting that could compete (Satterwhite and who else?)

Obviously trades/injuries/lack of development will take care of some of that, but the point is, there is no need to rush LaMarre. If he spends a full season in high A next year, AA the following year and AAA the year afterwords before being placed on the 40 man roster, thats not neccessarily a bad thing. I'd start him in High A next year, then let his performance dictate if he should be fasttracked, perhaps half a year in High A, half a season in AA then go from there.
    CF probably has the most depth in the organization. There is a significant prospect at every level, including two currently in Dayton (LaMarre and Means.) That is why I would like to see LaMarre bumped to Carolina next season.

Stubbs/Heisey/Dickerson (Reds) - Matthews, Jr. (AAA) - Sappelt (AA) - Perez (A+) - LaMarre/Means (A) - Yorman (R+) - Silva (R-)

is how it currently stacks up. Next year, I'd like to see:

Stubbs/Heisey OR Dickerson (Reds) - Sappelt/Perez (AAA) - LaMarre (AA) - Means (A+) - Yorman/Silva (A)

It is not really rushing to have a college position player from a big time conference who was projected as a 1st rounder with an advanced bat in AA by his second professional season, especially if he continues to have success in A ball this year. Much like Stubbs, both LaMarre and Means carry a lot of their value as a defensive CF. Let's put them both in a position to continue playing there.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm not arguing that it would be rushing him, I'm just not sure there is any need to. As you said, there is a lot of depth in the system at CF. I'd hate to have them bump him up to AA this year, only to watch him struggle for a season plus and have to entertain thoughts of demoting him to High A. I'd rather them start him in High A and have LaMarre force them to promote him to AA due to his play.

Using your list above, I'd start the season Sappelt (AAA), Perez (AA), Means/Lamarre (A+), Yorman/Silva (A-)

Perez has only played in the states for a few weeks. Perhaps due to his age, he needs to be in AAA, but you can always find roster filler to man CF in AA until Lamarre or Means proves they belong somewhere higher than A+

Turn Off Ads?