Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Where is Haningan at?

Where is Haningan at?

How close to returning is he? Have there been any recent updates as to how the hand is holding up? Both at the plate but especially on defense? I know he's been playing some in Louisville so I guess he's healthy enough. Any idea when we're going to see him again (nothing against Corky Miller)?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where is Haningan at?

I'm wondering the same thing. Yes, Hanigan is the regular guy at Louisville now. My question is, who is considered the Bats starting catcher and who is considered the Reds guy, Miller or Hanigan? Help guys...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Yes, Hanigan is the regular guy at Louisville now. My question is, who is considered the Bats starting catcher and who is considered the Reds guy, Miller or Hanigan? Help guys...
    Hanigan is the Reds guy. Miller is pure back up material that you keep in AAA as insurance.

Hanigan is getting regular ABs in Louisville but he isn't hitting very well yet.

35 ABs - .200/.300/.229

There's no rush to bring him back up until he finds his stroke

Depending on how banged up Ramon is could push the issue a little quicker.

When we're talking about 35 AB, it sure would be nice to get a scouting report instead of a triple-slash line.

A snared liner here, a caught bloop there. Give him even two extra singles and he's hitting .257/.350/.285. It's such a small sample size that the number are borderline meaningless. Any professional hitter can have that line in a 35 AB stretch even during a good month.

I hope he's being held down in AAA because he truly is struggling for some reason that can be addressed by something other than a bigger sample size allowing for regression.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Is he catching Volquez and Chapman? If so, that tells me the hand is ready to take a regular beating.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Hanigan is getting regular ABs in Louisville but he isn't hitting very well yet.

35 ABs - .200/.300/.229

There's no rush to bring him back up until he finds his stroke
    Figured his BA was playing into it a bit.

I'm one that thinks he's going to be OK at the plate. I don't know whether it's true or not, but he just seems to handle the pitchers so much better than Ramon. I don't know if there is data to back that up or I'm just making it up in my mind. For that reason, I hope his return is forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    When we're talking about 35 AB, it sure would be nice to get a scouting report instead of a triple-slash line.
    I think he's a little better than his numbers would indicate but he's still not where he was. He's showing improvement though.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Is he catching Volquez and Chapman? If so, that tells me the hand is ready to take a regular beating.
    From what I've heard its not so much about him having pain catching the ball anymore, it's about getting his swing back. At least there was a quote where Dusty said something to that extent. Either way his return can't be far off now.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    From what I've heard its not so much about him having pain catching the ball anymore, it's about getting his swing back.
    That's good to hear. I was more worried about the catching part than the hitting. I think he'll be around in short order.

I have a feeling that his hand is hurting more than it should. I remember back in the seventies when Perez hurt his hand. He never went on the DL, but it affected his hitting. I don't know how much catching hannigan is doing either. I know he has been DHing some.

I would just as soon he didn't catch Chapman. All that pounding has got to make his hand sore.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Ryan has 3 multi-hit performances in his last 4 games. Seems to be regaining his power as well with a double in each one of those games. He's been behind the plate and not at DH in each of those starts. A call-up seems imminent.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Turn Off Ads?