Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, Minor League Updates

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id like to see Dorn on the ML bench
    Me too.

I can see him replacing Nix as our LHed occasional OFer and PHer off the bench next season. He's having a really solid season at triple A.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    There's plenty wrong with it if he's not consistently able to get Major League hitters out. We're in a pennant race.

If that happens, he won't be pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If that happens, he won't be pitching.
    He seems an awfully long way from being able to realistically help at the big league level.

I've seen Chapman in person multiple times this season.

He has no business in the Reds pen or rotation this year. He needs to get his head in the game and work on his control. He's not young Billy Wagner wild, he's all over the place wild.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

All Danny Dorn does is hit.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    All Danny Dorn does is hit.
    It would be nice to see him up to pinch hit, start some in left and spell Votto. I am sold he deserves at least a chance to see if he will stick.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I don't think that is correct.

Can you name the "many".
    I have no idea what constitutes "many" but here are some of the more recent ones:

Ryan
    Carlton
    Palmer
    Perry
    Jenkins
    Niekro
    Drysdale
    Koufax
    Bunning

Ironically, Eck did not.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

A big night in relief for Blair Carson of Dayton. He went four shutout innings, giving up one hit to gain the win in relief of Jacob Johnson. Kevin Arico got the save. Mark Fleury tied it with a 3-run HR in the seventh. Henry Rodriguez doubled in Andrew Means to bring home the winner in the eighth.

Abel De Los Santos ran his record to 4-1 as the DSL Reds won, 4-3. His line was rather unusual: 5 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 3 K. He's a tad wild, obviously, but he's 18 and his ERA is 1.02.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I have no idea what constitutes "many" but here are some of the more recent ones:

Ryan
    Carlton
    Palmer
    Perry
    Jenkins
    Niekro
    Drysdale
    Koufax
    Bunning

Ironically, Eck did not.
    Pretty much everyone of these pitchers broke into the league as combination starters/relievers, probably due to nor being good enough to crack the 4 man rotation.

Only Niekro was essentially a reliever, and that was not becuase they were breaking him in, they felt that was going to be his role.

It's a more recent development of breaking in starters as relievers, but in the old days the bullpen was geenrally reserved for pitchers who ranked below a teams best 4.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Ridiculous the way they are screwing with Chapman. Look at the guy, he's clearly not ready to pitch in the major leagues in any role. Move him back to starter, leave him alone and hopefully he'll be ready to start 2011 in the rotation.

Agree, though I'm not confident he's going to be ready at the opening of 2011either. That's not a knock on him; I just think it's important not to rush him and end up setting him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What's new?

I remember a thread earlier in the year where I got jumped for saying Thompson will never be a factor with the Reds because he's injury prone.

Voila!

Another injury. Next time he's healthy they should just package him in a trade as a throw-in. He's never going to make it to the Bigs with us. His time came and went.
    Getting injured doesnt prove your point though. He might never be a factor but until he retires or they get rid of him its pretty flawed thinking. He's 24 only still. There is plenty of time for him to be a healthy pitcher, or be a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I don't think that is correct.

Can you name the "many".
    All listings are their first year in the Majors:

Christy Mathewson Age 19, 6 games, only 1 start.
    Ed Walsh Age 23, 18 games, only 8 starts.
    Lefty Grove Age 25, 45 games, 18 starts.
    Herb Pennock Age 18, 17 games, only 2 starts.
    Dazzy Vance Age 24, 9 games, 4 starts.
    Ted Lyons Age 22, 9 games, only 1 start.
    Bob Feller Age 17, 14 games, 8 starts.
    Red Faber Age 25, 40 games, 19 starts.
    Red Ruffing Age 19, 8 games, only 2 starts.
    Stan Coveleski Age 22, 5 games, 2 starts.
    Satchel Paige Age 41, 21 games, 7 starts.
    Sandy Koufax Age 19, 12 games, 5 starts.
    Lefty Gomez Age 21, 15 games, 6 starts.
    Warren Spahn Age 21, 4 games, 2 starts.
    Bob Lemon Age 25, 32 games, 5 starts.
    Don Drysdale Age 19, 25 games, 12 starts.
    Jim Palmer Age 19, 27 games, 6 starts.
    Gaylord Perry Age 24, 31 games, 4 starts.
    Ferguson Jenkins Age 22, 7 games, 0 starts.
    Steve Carlton Age 20, 15 games, only 2 starts.
    Jim Bunning Age 23/24, 30 games, 11 starts.
    Phil Niekro Age 25-27, 79 games, only 1 start.
    Nolan Ryan Age 19, 2 games, 1 start.

Johan Santana Age 21, 30 games, 5 starts. His next year at Age 22, 15 games and only 4 starts. In his 3rd season he only had 14 starts out of 27 games. In his 4th year only 18 starts out of 45 games.

Johan Santana is a very comparable player to Chapman. Wild beyond belief with an amazing fastball.

It took Minnesota 4 years to "tame" Santana in the Majors, moving him in and out of the Rotation.

That's not saying this is what the REDS have in mind, but a player can be developed just as well from the bullpen as he can from Starting if you think he's ready to face Major League Batters because of one or two pitches that he has already developed.

The bottom line is that this is a player who can help the REDS win this year if he's used in a relief role. He's never going to help them this year in a starter's role. Using him in relief this year isn't going to change his development in a starting role for next season. If anything, they get to work with him for an extra month or two while watching him in live situations, also against Major League batters (whom he's certainly not facing as a starter this season).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Johan Santana is a very comparable player to Chapman. Wild beyond belief with an amazing fastball.

It took Minnesota 4 years to "tame" Santana in the Majors, moving him in and out of the Rotation.

That's not saying this is what the REDS have in mind, but a player can be developed just as well from the bullpen as he can from Starting if you think he's ready to face Major League Batters because of one or two pitches that he has already developed.

The bottom line is that this is a player who can help the REDS win this year if he's used in a relief role. He's never going to help them this year in a starter's role. Using him in relief this year isn't going to change his development in a starting role for next season. If anything, they get to work with him for an extra month or two while watching him in live situations, also against Major League batters (whom he's certainly not facing as a starter this season).
    I have little doubt Chapman will be up in September, but I'm not sure how much of a factor he'll be out of the pen unless he gains some control.

Turn Off Ads?